Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 03:56 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,838,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Oh there are two Easters? I had no idea lol.
What a worthless Christian. I think you should be excommunicated from the Church, immediately!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 04:06 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
Another tradition is the Easter lunch, that in a lot of families is a huge meal in which are invited practically all your known relatives. A lot of regions have specific recipes that are prepared only for Easter. A lot of those recipes have lamb and\or eggs in them.
Yeah. Finns on average eat really little lamb, and for many the Easter is the only time of the year when they eat homemade lamb.

---

As nothing really grows but grass here yet, we use pussy willow catkins as a substitute for palm branches, though I like the Polish palm trees better. Of course now when there's greenhouses around, the easter flowers are a bit more elaborate than just daffodils and crocuses, which might or might not have popped up on eastertime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Oh there are two Easters? I had no idea lol.
There's three! The Eastern Mysticists with their beards and icons celebrate Easter at another point.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:16 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,603,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog69 View Post
So, do you celebrate Yule then? I read it's a sort of equivalent of Christmas, is there a Pagan equivalent for Easter as well?
the Spring Equinox would be the closest, this was celebrated long before Christianity arrived in these shores and took over our holy places and celebrations.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:02 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
In Sweden, in a televised mass, a well-known character did a comeback. When the doormen drag him out, he shouts "Oh no, not again!"

Jesus störde mässa

Old 04-06-2015, 05:11 AM

8,866 posts, read 8,448,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuKulgur View Post
What a worthless Christian. I think you should be excommunicated from the Church, immediately!

Old 04-06-2015, 07:03 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
My babies go on egg hunts, paint eggs and dream about fluffy white bunnies. Also, I usually wish people Happy Easter.

But that was leading up to the weekend. Easter "Monday" is not a big thing in the United States. Pretty much unknown.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:20 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
We usually go to church Easter morning, but yesterday the rain was so torrential that we skipped out on church. But generally speaking, church on Easter morning here in Texas is a pretty big part of the whole Easter thing.

We also have lots of Catholics here in east Texas as well as other Christian traditions that celebrate different events throughout Holy Week leading up to Easter Sunday - those are well attended.

Anyway, we always have a big Easter dinner afterwards. Yesterday it was a my house and we had about eleven people total. We had ham, red beans and dirty rice, cheese grits, sourdough rolls, fruit salad, deviled eggs, coconut meringue pie and chocolate cake.

Since it was so wet outside we made the kids go upstairs while we "met the Easter bunny" and "helped him hide the eggs." We hid a mixture of the hard boiled eggs that the kids had painted the day before, hollow plastic eggs filled with candy, and metallic hollow eggs with money inside. The kids carried their Easter baskets they'd gotten that morning (complete with stuffed animals and fancy candies like marzipan) and ran around the house looking everywhere for eggs. The eggs that were hidden in the hardest places to find had $5 folded inside!

We also watched our traditional Father Ted "Cigarettes Alcohol and Rollerblading" episode about Lent. My mother thinks it's very sacriligious but the rest of us think it's hilarious!

Then we sat around nibbling on various goodies and drinking coffee till the evening. It was a nice day.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:01 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,260,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We usually go to church Easter morning, but yesterday the rain was so torrential that we skipped out on church. But generally speaking, church on Easter morning here in Texas is a pretty big part of the whole Easter thing.

We also have lots of Catholics here in east Texas as well as other Christian traditions that celebrate different events throughout Holy Week leading up to Easter Sunday - those are well attended.

Anyway, we always have a big Easter dinner afterwards. Yesterday it was a my house and we had about eleven people total. We had ham, red beans and dirty rice, cheese grits, sourdough rolls, fruit salad, deviled eggs, coconut meringue pie and chocolate cake.

Since it was so wet outside we made the kids go upstairs while we "met the Easter bunny" and "helped him hide the eggs." We hid a mixture of the hard boiled eggs that the kids had painted the day before, hollow plastic eggs filled with candy, and metallic hollow eggs with money inside. The kids carried their Easter baskets they'd gotten that morning (complete with stuffed animals and fancy candies like marzipan) and ran around the house looking everywhere for eggs. The eggs that were hidden in the hardest places to find had $5 folded inside!

We also watched our traditional Father Ted "Cigarettes Alcohol and Rollerblading" episode about Lent. My mother thinks it's very sacriligious but the rest of us think it's hilarious!

Then we sat around nibbling on various goodies and drinking coffee till the evening. It was a nice day.
Sounds like a great Easter. Seems the Deviled Eggs are popular everywhere.

So you guys in Texas are not free from spring rains either?

We (South West NL) had the worst weather the past couple weeks, ending in a terrible 3-day storm last week just before Easter, with in total more than 10 M in damages.
And right on the 1st day of Easter it turned around into great sunny weather! Spend the past two days a lot of hours outside.
Very nice for a change!

Old 04-06-2015, 01:47 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuKulgur View Post
Christians don't really do 2 easters in america.

I'm not a Christian and I don't do Easter. I do a secular Christmas but no Easter. I don't really know why I don't do Easter.

When my kids were little we did Easter baskets though

Last edited by JennyMominRI; 04-06-2015 at 02:13 PM..

Old 04-06-2015, 01:55 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
I don't. I do buy a chocolate Easter egg, but that's it. It's been a 3 day weekend so I ate out, had drinks and chilled in the sun with friends. Easter is just a non event to me - never cared for it, even as a kid, except the chocolate aspect.

Deviled eggs aren't popular here I don't think. I'm not really sure what they are actually.

Oh, kids paint eggs here.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 04-06-2015 at 02:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World