Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the better country to live? - Portugal or Brazil?
Portugal 40 70.18%
Brazil 14 24.56%
Neither city 3 5.26%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 04:52 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,963,094 times

Advertisements

This is such a difficult question to answer. Portugal is relatively small and homogenous and Brazil is a sprawling giant with so many regional differences and climates.
I myself might choose Portugal because my ancestors are from there and I just love Lisbon and Madeira. And all of Europe is close at hand.
To those who say Rio is beautiful, I would say that it has the best and most beautiful setting in the world, but the city up close is somewhat shabby and unappealing. I think it would have been nicer a 100 yrs ago. And the favelas are everywhere, sometimes hovering over upscale, so-called safe areas, so that one always has to be aware of their surroundings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 10:47 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,999,052 times
Brazil, more diversity of climates.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:54 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I must say this poll has really surprised me.

It makes me even more interested in Portugal. I originally assumed they would be close to equal, and part of me would have thought that Brazil being so large, and having so much 'hope for the future' as well, might have been attractive. That, and the people themselves, who are just great to be around.

That being said, Portugal is in Europe, is much safer, does offer more stability, and would equally be interested on other levels altogether.
On a practical level, Portugal seems much better. Brazil is also a far worse place to poor and average income is lower. Brazil sounds like the more interesting country, though.

Old 05-30-2015, 03:08 PM

244 posts, read 362,287 times
Depends on what we mean by to live, to live for a year? 2 or 3 years? My entire life? If it's the last option then I would not want to live in either one most likely. A few years, I'd do Brazil for sure. Maybe it's because I haven't really explored Brazil and I'm burned out on Portugal, but Brazil just seems like a way more exciting place to live.

I'm in my mid 20s, so I'm at a point of my life where I am still thinking big in terms of careers. Brazil has way more upside for an entrepreneur or an expiring professional than a place like Portugal, which not does not have a huge busting economy, but there is pretty limited job opportunities and mass unemployment (Brazil also has unemployment issues obviously, but it's not a problem that would directly affect me).

I'm pretty well educated, so I think I could reasonably find a good job in Brazil. I'd assume the competition would be more difficult in Portugal.

Brazil is way more culturally diverse than Portugal, I am from NYC so I am more accustomed to seeing different types of people on a regular basis. Especially relevant for checking out chicks .

Brazil has more of an out going/party vibe. I'm not a big party guy, but it's a nice option to have.

Really cool wild life in Brazil, and in general a lot of places to explore as it is a huge country. I can find a city that is more tailored to my liking since it has more options than Portugal.

Brazil has a bigger sports culture than Portugal, or at least has sports that are more relevant to my interest (nice following in MMA and basketball).

Not sure how to measure the crime, I am sure a lot of it is segregated. I'd have to actually live there to get a feel on how dangerous it is, but for a single man like myself, I am sure it's nothing to worry about if I use common sense. This seems like more of a problem relevant for raising a family.

Portugal is nice, but it has to offer a bit more than just being safe to me. I'm not sure if I agree with Portugal having more culture than Brazil either - age doesn't dictate culture. Brazil is exploding with culture, even if it is a relatively new nation.

My biggest beefs with Brazil is the political corruption - I have interest in going into politics somewhere down the line, so living in Brazil long term could be a problem for me. The imports in Brazil are also insanely expensive, and a lot of that has to do with the crappy politics as well. The racism is lousy too, but I have confidence that the Latin American countries are trying their best efforts to get rid of it just like the US is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World