Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 12:12 AM

788 posts, read 1,877,254 times

Advertisements

Everyone knows the major international players, economies, languages, etc.

I'm curious to learn which countries you believe hold a disproportionate influence on the world with consideration given to:

- Culture
- Population
- Language
- International presence
- Political Sway
- Military

Don't limit yourself to the big players!

For me, I'm thinking:

Disproportionately Large:
- South Korea (pop culture and products)
- Japan (Innovation, culture, products)
- Ireland (business)
- Switzerland (Banking/business)
- Russia (political/military sway)
- UK (education, culture/language, international politics)
- Israel (military, politics)

Disproportionately Small
- India
- Pakistan
- Turkey
- Mexico
- Indonesia
- Egypt
- Poland
- Philippines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 01:08 AM

984 posts, read 1,314,827 times
France and Britain are wildly disproportionately influencial when you consider their population. They only have about 65 million each but a permanent member of the Security Council which gives them defacto vetoes on ant UN proposition............these two small countries can veto the voices of the other 7 billion on the planet.

Canada is disproportionately influential when considering it's size due to its close and influential relationship with the US and being a member of the G7. Canada being in NORAD has meant that it is privy to US intelligence........ie, Canada was the first country after the US to get nuclear technology.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:42 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
Large:
Jamaica
Iceland
Ireland
Netherlands
Denmark
Luxembourg
Switzerland
Monaco
Portugal
Greece
Israel
Qatar
UAE
Singapore
Hong Kong
South Korea
New Zealand

Small:
Burkina Faso
Niger
Chad
DR Congo
Mozambique
Tanzania
Burundi
Uganda
Yemen
Turkmenistan
Uzbekistan
Kyrgyzstan
Tajikistan
Pakistan
Bangladesh
Burma
Indonesia

Old 05-10-2015, 03:39 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
France and Britain are wildly disproportionately influencial when you consider their population. They only have about 65 million each but a permanent member of the Security Council which gives them defacto vetoes on ant UN proposition............these two small countries can veto the voices of the other 7 billion on the planet.

Canada is disproportionately influential when considering it's size due to its close and influential relationship with the US and being a member of the G7. Canada being in NORAD has meant that it is privy to US intelligence........ie, Canada was the first country after the US to get nuclear technology.
Well, I would certainly hope so, considering the atomic bomb was developed by the US, Canada, and the UK. You know, that Manhattan Project thing? lol

Old 05-10-2015, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Large:
Jamaica
Iceland
Ireland
Netherlands
Denmark
Luxembourg
Switzerland
Monaco
Portugal
Greece
Israel
Qatar
UAE
Singapore
Hong Kong
South Korea
New Zealand

Small:
Burkina Faso
Niger
Chad
DR Congo
Mozambique
Tanzania
Burundi
Uganda
Yemen
Turkmenistan
Uzbekistan
Kyrgyzstan
Tajikistan
Pakistan
Bangladesh
Burma
Indonesia
This is a very good list and I would only question Iceland, Portugal, and Denmark. Maybe I am just unaware of their global influence as I perceive them from a North American perspective. Are they more influential in Europe/Africa/Asia? Or is it a more subtle influence similar to the international presence of numerous Dutch corporations (something that many do not realize)?

I would love to hear your thoughts on these countries!

Old 05-10-2015, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhkshdcny09 View Post
This is a very good list and I would only question Iceland, Portugal, and Denmark. Maybe I am just unaware of their global influence as I perceive them from a North American perspective. Are they more influential in Europe/Africa/Asia?

Portuguese is the official language in 6 countries (250 million people) outside Portugal and most of the people in those countries are catholic thanks to the Portuguese.
Portugal brought us worldclass football players such as Eusebio, Luis Figo and Cristiano Ronaldo which inspired millions of kids to play the game.

Yes i guess you right Denmark and Iceland aren't really talked about outside Europe and maybe Africa.

Last edited by Davy-040; 05-10-2015 at 05:26 AM..

Old 05-10-2015, 05:33 AM

545 posts, read 866,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhkshdcny09 View Post
This is a very good list and I would only question Iceland, Portugal, and Denmark. Maybe I am just unaware of their global influence as I perceive them from a North American perspective. Are they more influential in Europe/Africa/Asia? Or is it a more subtle influence similar to the international presence of numerous Dutch corporations (something that many do not realize)?

Agreed. Even in Europe those countries don't have much influence. Sweden is much more influent than both those countries combined.
And Monaco and Jamaica ? This first one have close to zero influence and the other one, but for reggae, I don't see which influence it has.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedlaRoche View Post
1.Agreed. Even in Europe those countries don't have much influence. Sweden is much more influent than both those countries combined.

2.And Monaco and Jamaica ? This first one have close to zero influence and the other one, but for reggae, I don't see which influence it has.
1.Sweden is also 3 times larger and has nearly 4 million more people than Denmark and Iceland combined

2.Monaco doesn't have any influence.
Say that to Hollywood stars, you can say whatever you want about them but they do have influence.
Jamaica is also famous in the marijuana and rum world.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Portuguese is the official language in 6 countries (250 million people) outside Portugal and most of the people in those countries are catholic thanks to the Portuguese.
Portugal brought us worldclass football players such as Eusebio, Luis Figo and Cristiano Ronaldo which inspired millions of kids to play the game.

Yes i guess you right Denmark and Iceland aren't really talked about outside Europe and maybe Africa.
I suppose I see Portugal's colonial legacy as representative of its past influence. Nowadays I think it has minimal impact on world affairs, or even the affairs of its formal colonies. Take for instance France, which still maintains some sphere of influence over its colonial legacy states in Africa. The overthrow of Gaddafi and current involvement in Mali are just two examples of active French involvement in Africa. I think it is internationally understood that Sub-Saharan Africa is of special French importance given their historic commitment to the region and shared language. France also continues to have territories in the Pacific Islands, Indian Ocean, and Caribbean.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Portugal's main international influence solely the continued migration to Angola? I guess football players, but that's somewhat of a stretch

Old 05-10-2015, 06:11 AM

Quote:
1.Sweden is also 3 times larger and has nearly 4 million more people than Denmark and Iceland combined

2.Monaco doesn't have any influence.
Say that to Hollywood stars, you can say whatever you want about them but they do have influence.
Jamaica is also famous in the marijuana and rum world.
For a country of 2.8 million people, is pretty internationally known. Music, culture, accent, etc.
Countries of comparable population size are: Lithuania, Armenia, Albania, Qatar, Namibia, Lesotho, Mongolia, and Slovenia.

Other than Qatar (pretty recent), none of these countries have had much international impact. Even Qatar was largely insignificant over a decade ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World