Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 05:04 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,589 times

Advertisements

Talk about sports in your own country.

What's the national sport and which is the most followed one?
What is/are your favourite sports?
Are there some traditions unique to your country?
How's the atmosphere at a game?

I'll start with my country, Italy, soccer is the national sport and by far the most popular one followed by basketball and volleyball. Soccer or football as Europeans usually call it is also my favourite sport.

The organized tifo has originated in Italy in the 60s when both Sampdoria and Torino saw the birth of the first two ultras groups, with time ultras have developed links with political parties and movements often on the extremes of the left and right, this caused several problems through the years not only in Itlay but also abroad.
Volleyball seem unusually popular here, it seems a niche sport everywhere but not here where the national leaue has the highest average attendance in the sport.

Atmosphere, especially at football games can get quite intense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THrzghsKv4k

even at lower league games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7Inv49Ghr8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 05:36 PM

10,020 posts, read 8,635,195 times
The NFL

Old 05-22-2015, 05:55 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,502,821 times
In terms of spectator numbers, sponsorship dollars and television audiences, the most popular sport in Australia is uniquely Australian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqymJpIhpPY

Though our national sport is possibly still cricket.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:45 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,523,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
In terms of spectator numbers, sponsorship dollars and television audiences, the most popular sport in Australia is uniquely Australian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqymJpIhpPY

Though our national sport is possibly still cricket.
Cricket is certainly the true national sport, though the top 3 national television audiences for 2014 were all Rugby League. AFL certainly gets more bums on seats though.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:57 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Talk about sports in your own country.

What's the national sport and which is the most followed one?
What is/are your favourite sports?
Are there some traditions unique to your country?
How's the atmosphere at a game?

I'll start with my country, Italy, soccer is the national sport and by far the most popular one followed by basketball and volleyball. Soccer or football as Europeans usually call it is also my favourite sport.

The organized tifo has originated in Italy in the 60s when both Sampdoria and Torino saw the birth of the first two ultras groups, with time ultras have developed links with political parties and movements often on the extremes of the left and right, this caused several problems through the years not only in Itlay but also abroad.
Volleyball seem unusually popular here, it seems a niche sport everywhere but not here where the national leaue has the highest average attendance in the sport.

Atmosphere, especially at football games can get quite intense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THrzghsKv4k

even at lower league games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7Inv49Ghr8.

we have two national sports but they are both part of the one orginisation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgEMvRrOCRI

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEAbWrdB9XU

my favourite sport is soccer which due to the dominance of gaelic football and hurling , leaves the country at a disadvantage when it comes to competing in soccer globally , young guys who are talented usually end up playing native sports , in reality we only have a soccer population comparable to tiny countries like Latvia

Old 05-23-2015, 04:38 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,260,330 times
Rugby.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:40 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Rugby.

rugby is less popular than soccer in northern Ireland

Old 05-23-2015, 06:00 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Football is the most played sport in terms of licensed players and as a hobby, but ice hockey is the most popular one in terms of attendances, media attention and sponsorship euros.

The national sport and unique to Finland is pesäpallo, the Finnish version of baseball. The sport, however, is overwhelmingly a rural sport and has no traction in the largest cities. Of the 10 largest cities in Finland only two have a team in the league, and the largest city (Jyväskylä) has the lowest attendance. The team which has won the last four championships hails from a muncipality of 10k people.

Unlike the big success we've had in sports could suggest, we aren't really active in watching sport, and attendances are low in all leagues and sports. We have a long history in individual sports, and team sports really took off for real only in the late 50's. Organised supporter groups didn't form until the late 90's in football, and in hockey some established ones aren't even 10 years old yet. Therefore the general atmosphere in games are often quite sleepy, but the situation is improving, and I contribute to that.

Other sports which are popular are of course cross-country skiing, and also basketball has taken off due to success of the national team. Because we are not a sports nation - we are a success-hungry nation. Therefore Finns would follow, I don't know, watching grass grow if we would be successful internationally in it.

I follow only football and the basketball national team. I used to like ice hockey, but the arrogance of the Hockey Association, the closing of the league (no relegation or promotion), the forced unjust media hype and the development to a brutally violent and very rednecky sport has alienated me from hockey forever.

Unlike in most other nations where football is the sport of the working class, in Finland it's ice hockey, and football is considered more a sport for the educated. If you compare me with the poster Majurius, you notice which one of us likes football and which like hockey.

Last edited by Ariete; 05-23-2015 at 06:10 AM..

Old 05-23-2015, 06:15 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,502,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Cricket is certainly the true national sport, though the top 3 national television audiences for 2014 were all Rugby League. AFL certainly gets more bums on seats though.
Looking at it, that would be true, most "national" TV audiences you see in oz are actually capital city audiences and not national at all. The regions or NSW and QLD outside Sydney and Brisbane hold almost as many people as Victoria, for the most part it's die hard league territory.

I wonder how many other countries in the world have a situationist like we do, where what sport you support is traditionally decided by which state of the country you were born in?

Old 05-23-2015, 06:29 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
See location.

'nuff said. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World