Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 11:38 AM

8,488 posts, read 6,894,642 times

Advertisements

Surprisingly I suppose Filipinos. English is taught in the schools throughout the islands. And much more bilingual because of their native dialects than say Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 04:41 PM

24 posts, read 19,787 times
I find Latinos to speak American English with a form of an accent, but not that weird, it's pretty American like though.

Old 09-14-2018, 02:03 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
For "professional" East Asians, vocabulary is the real challenge.

e.g. In all countries in the world, "chemistry" is pronounced something like kemi-, kemia- and so on, but in Mandarin Chinese it is hua-xue, Cantonese fa-hok, Korean hwa-hag., Japanese ka-gaku.
Another example, "chromosome" is ran-se-ti in Mandarin, yim-sik-tai in Cantonese, yeom-saeg-che in Korean, sen-shoku-tai in Japanese..You have a clue?

As a result, many scientists in East Asia often forget how to say some term in English. When you spend too much energy searching for words, grammar gets messed up too. And a speaker becomes nervous.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:37 PM

529 posts, read 556,737 times
Yes, in European languages scientific vocabulary is mostly Graeco - Latin

Old 09-15-2018, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
Yes, in European languages scientific vocabulary is mostly Graeco - Latin
Not only European languages, but also all languages without Chinese root.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:26 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,677,344 times
The Hong Kong/Singapore British accent is just absolutely lovely.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:19 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,406,148 times
Mainland Chinese professionals are often completely unintelligible when they speak English. However, Taiwanese professionals have much better English. Their speech is not like the Scandinavians, but at least you know what they are saying.

The obvious reason is that being a small island country, there is a lot more foreign entertainment on screen which gives them more exposure, and a lot more foreign business which gives them a chance to use it.

Old 09-19-2018, 03:01 PM

197 posts, read 114,491 times
Some countries with stellar English: (none of this has English as the main language, but some are former British or American colonies)

1. Philippines: professionals in big cities speak like they're native English speakers. Quite incredible. However in poor areas, the standard is much lower, but you can still get by. 9.0/10
2. Malta: extremely widespread fluency and almost native British accent 9.5/10

Some countries with good English:

1. Israel: I found that Israelis are quite competent in English. Not quite up to Scandinavian standards, but close. 8.5/10
2. Switzerland: not brilliant but very widespread. 8/10
3.-4. The spoken English among native UAE and Qatari citizens is really good. At least their wealth has served them well in this respect. 8.5/10

Some countries with unexpectedly bad English skills:

1. Mexico: I was very surprised to find that English skills are quite bad. 4.5/10
2. Japan: laughable English skills 3/10
3. South Korea: much worse than I expected as well 5/10
4. Hong Kong: considering it's a former British colony - HK is really not doing so well 7.5/10
5. France: considering it's proximity to Britain and the closeness of the vocabulary, France is doing a poor job 6/10

Old 09-22-2018, 05:18 PM

8,865 posts, read 8,448,789 times
In most cases it's not about the country, but about the people. The countries that have less misfires are the Nordics (esp. the Swedes) and the Dutch.

The Filipinos doesn't count. The Philippines is an English-speaking country.

Last edited by Greysholic; 09-22-2018 at 05:32 PM..

Old 09-22-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaSunshine View Post
Some countries with stellar English: (none of this has English as the main language, but some are former British or American colonies)

1. Philippines: professionals in big cities speak like they're native English speakers. Quite incredible. However in poor areas, the standard is much lower, but you can still get by. 9.0/10
2. Malta: extremely widespread fluency and almost native British accent 9.5/10

Some countries with good English:

1. Israel: I found that Israelis are quite competent in English. Not quite up to Scandinavian standards, but close. 8.5/10
2. Switzerland: not brilliant but very widespread. 8/10
3.-4. The spoken English among native UAE and Qatari citizens is really good. At least their wealth has served them well in this respect. 8.5/10

Some countries with unexpectedly bad English skills:

1. Mexico: I was very surprised to find that English skills are quite bad. 4.5/10
2. Japan: laughable English skills 3/10
3. South Korea: much worse than I expected as well 5/10
4. Hong Kong: considering it's a former British colony - HK is really not doing so well 7.5/10
5. France: considering it's proximity to Britain and the closeness of the vocabulary, France is doing a poor job 6/10
I have been to quite a few countries, and had significant language barriers in: Japan, Italy, and Mexico.

In Japan, the clerks in a bank could not speak basic English. Fortunately I can write Chinese characters which helped a lot.
In Italy, some people understood nothing in English, quite a surprise to me.
Mexico is the worse. I could not order food in McDonald's even. But there are also some young people who spoke perfect American English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World