Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will English be the unifying language?
Yes, English will dominate as the universal language 41 39.81%
No, people will not unite around any common language 40 38.83%
Yes and No, people will choose multiple languages as we get closer to unity 22 21.36%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 10:41 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
No it doesn't, prick, I don't live in Croydon, just tell me which words used in your post are 'American' English and which are 'English' English if you can.
Yes your vast grasp of English has already descended into curse words - the resort of the generally inarticulate. I sent you a link showing a whole list of differences - written by linguists.

And why would you expect me to be writing American English when I'm British? Comprehension not your strong suit.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:53 AM

134 posts, read 162,340 times
No, English will eventually decline like many other languages did before.

Plus languages change over time and eventually dialects become different languages.... So the english spoken in many parts of the world might eventually evolve into different languages.

Eventually New Zealand will speak a different language from Boston, per say!

Old 11-19-2015, 12:11 PM

510 posts, read 609,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fagrance View Post
Plus languages change over time and eventually dialects become different languages.... So the English spoken in many parts of the world might eventually evolve into different languages.

Eventually New Zealand will speak a different language from Boston, per say!
I'm not really sure if that is possible anymore. Of course different places will have their local peculiarities, but with global communications so ubiquitous and sharing of media and entertainment so easy, there is a huge everyday benefit to maintaining mutual intelligibility. Even in places like Jamaica or Singapore which already have a rather unique local form of English, most of the English language media is in a more standard form of English so everyone needs to maintain competency in "standard" english.

And English language media is still dominated by two countries--the US and the UK--so I would expect any English speaking local to continue to want to consume that media.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:43 PM

667 posts, read 940,505 times
As long as nations exist, national languages will exist too.
But who knows how technologies will develop, and what kind of communications and migration patterns will be in future? Maybe some nations, at least in the developed world, will eventually merge into some mixed mass of people that will need a single language.
That being said, I would not like to see anything like that and I don't see it happening any time soon. And I see no point in discussing what will happen in a few centuries. We see how rapidly new technologies, new ways of communication have been developing, and we cannot even imagine what the life on Earth will look like even in 50 years.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:21 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,681 times
Default effects of internet

International auxillary languages

Commented that a few auxlangs have developed small speaker communities (scroll down to "internet")

Old 11-20-2015, 02:35 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Yes your vast grasp of English has already descended into curse words - the resort of the generally inarticulate. I sent you a link showing a whole list of differences - written by linguists.

And why would you expect me to be writing American English when I'm British? Comprehension not your strong suit.
NOW SAY THAT AGAIN BUT IN AMERICAN ENGLISH! You cant because its THE SAME LANGUAGE, of course there are regional dialects not only between the US and the UK but between different areas of the UK and no doubt the US, IT DOESN'T MAKE IT A DIFFERENT LANGUAGE THOUGH, and that is my point - 'comprehension not your strong suit' is it.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:48 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,668,500 times
Hard to say.. Thats like the language of the ptb.

Old 11-20-2015, 05:31 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
Quote:
NOW SAY THAT AGAIN BUT IN AMERICAN ENGLISH! You cant because its THE SAME LANGUAGE, of course there are regional dialects not only between the US and the UK but between different areas of the UK and no doubt the US, IT DOESN'T MAKE IT A DIFFERENT LANGUAGE THOUGH, and that is my point - 'comprehension not your strong suit' is it.
I still don't quite understand why you deny the existence of a variety of standard English variants when they are proven to exist and recognized by pretty much every linguist. That fact doesn't make you speak different languages. It's just the result of English being a pluricentric language.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:16 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
I still don't quite understand why you deny the existence of a variety of standard English variants when they are proven to exist and recognized by pretty much every linguist. That fact doesn't make you speak different languages. It's just the result of English being a pluricentric language.
I don't, I just deny that 'American English' is a different language, really it isn't, there is just as much difference between the Australian's way of speaking English or the Jamaican's way, or the Irish way or even just as much differences between the English spoken by a Cockney or the English spoken by a Geordie (both English) however you don't hear the Australians call their language 'Australian English' or the Irish call the language 'Irish English', this is because the language is simply English, I agree there are MANY English variants but what a French man or a Spanish man or a Brazilian man speak English they do not use 'British English' nor 'American English' but actually 'Standard English' (even though this doesn't strictly exist exactly). I married a Croatian Au Pair (big mistake) when I was far too young, her English was learnt completely and utterly in England, after 5 years most people didn't even realise she had an accent, her friend who Au-paired in the US learnt her English from the US and when she visited and they conversed (in English) the words, phrases, structure of sentences were identical the only difference was that they had both picked up the difference in English accents. Incidently I can understand an American (both north and south accents) speaking English better than I can a Geordie! Says a lot when you consider a Geordie is the same nationality as me! :-)

Old 11-20-2015, 07:22 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
Quote:
I don't, I just deny that 'American English' is a different language, really it isn't
No one is claiming that American English and British English are different languages.

See, I write what is commonly known as Austrian Standard German. We call those things alongside streets "Gehsteige". The equivalent of that word in German Standard German would be "Gehwege". Germans and Austrians speak the same language. Both words would be understood in both countries.

Brits call those things alongside streets "pavements". The equivalent of that word in American English would be "sidewalks". Brits and Americans speak the same language. Both words would be understood in both countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World