Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 04:56 PM

641 posts, read 801,350 times

Advertisements

Call me an info junkie:

I met an interesting palestinian man today. We had a deep conversation about Middle East Conflict. It was interesting to hear the argument from his point of view.

Now, Does anyone know of any great resources (website, videos, books) that can explain that reason and the conflict from Day 0 to today.

I'd like unbias resources please. Both sides (Israels and Palestinians) feel like their side is on the right side of history. I'd also like to know how the other countries in the region and the U.S. play a factor in all of this.

I know it's kind of deep and some people may not know or care too much. Just thought I'd ask on C-D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 12:59 AM

514 posts, read 470,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
Call me an info junkie:

I met an interesting palestinian man today. We had a deep conversation about Middle East Conflict. It was interesting to hear the argument from his point of view.

Now, Does anyone know of any great resources (website, videos, books) that can explain that reason and the conflict from Day 0 to today.

I'd like unbias resources please. Both sides (Israels and Palestinians) feel like their side is on the right side of history. I'd also like to know how the other countries in the region and the U.S. play a factor in all of this.

I know it's kind of deep and some people may not know or care too much. Just thought I'd ask on C-D
Before this thread gets locked, finding an unbiased source will be difficult, but with full probity and honesty in mind, I - as a non-Israeli - generally find more distortion of the facts and of history from the pro-Palestinian angle than the Israeli one.

The following brief video is clearly presented defensively, but it's still among the more reliable accounts of the history of the region.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:53 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I suggest going to Wikipedia for information that tends to be more objective starting from the Ottoman Empire's control before WWI and then the British Mandate between WWI-WWII. Also it is important to read about the conflicting promises that the British Government gave each side during WWI in order to enlist their help in the war effort to capture the area and how that played out after the British started to govern the area of Palestine (which includes the Kingdom of Jordan which was Eastern Palestine).

Old 10-19-2015, 08:38 AM

641 posts, read 801,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousseff View Post
I - as a non-Israeli - generally find more distortion of the facts and of history from the pro-Palestinian angle than the Israeli one.

The following brief video is clearly presented defensively, but it's still among the more reliable accounts of the history of the region.

Interesting! Yea. He was talking at me. I have to take what people say with a grain of salt until I look into it. But what he was saying sounded suspect so I knew there had to be more to it

Old 10-22-2015, 10:29 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Umm, excuse me, but start with common sense. If you don't have that, it won't do you a bit of good to try to sort through all the resources of comparative information about the rregion.

There is a great deal of very heavily biased information being circulated, and you have already been exposed to so much of it, your starting point is already suspect.

If I might offer one suggestion: Go around to the local mosque in whatever city you live in, and sit down with someone there and ask them to explain Islam to you. Ask them the hard questions, they've heard them all before and won't take offense. They will be honored that you are open to listen to that they have to say. Take them to lunch, try to get some kind of feel for the kind of people they are. Start laying the groundwork to understand the Middle East from their perspective, not those of people who send you forwarded emails.

there is

Old 10-23-2015, 05:01 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Here's some reading material:

Brief History of of Palestine, Israel and the Israeli Palestinian Conflict (Arab-Israeli conflict, Middle East Conflict)

Old 10-26-2015, 07:33 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Rick Steves does very good travel videos and lectures. He tries to figure out what makes countries tick. I'd highly recommended his videos on the Holy Land and Iran. They're on YouTube

Old 10-26-2015, 07:39 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Talk to the people who live there
Talk to a Christian then a Jew then go talk a Muslim you will get different views of the Mideast
People look at the same object but see very different things

Old 10-26-2015, 10:33 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I was going to suggest, Go there, on your next vacation, instead of Cancun. But then, I thought, you went to Cancun last year, and you still don't know anything about the dynamics of Mexico.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:31 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
2 of the best non political videos about the Middle East I've found...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg1unr6eNpQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtELk8S3dhU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World