Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 09:02 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post
Italy and Spain have it. Don't know about other countries.
Cool. Thanks. I wonder how extensive their networks are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 09:12 AM

I will now do English-speaking Canada...

Not surprisingly, English-speaking Canadians send their kids to American international schools when abroad.

The main exceptions would be in the U.S. where they tend to send them to public schools in a "good school district" (as Americans like to say), or places like Australia or the UK where they'd also send them to regular local schools.

In countries that are not anglophone or in the developing world they tend to send their kids to American schools.

One thing I found interesting in my search is that there are no British international schools in Canada (or in Australia or New Zealand as far as I can see), but there are British schools in the U.S. I am almost positive.

Also, there are no American international schools in Canada or Australia as far as I can see. (There used to be one in Sydney but it closed due to lack of enrolment.)

Old 01-08-2016, 09:16 AM

8,865 posts, read 8,446,442 times
There are American and Japanese schools in Taipei and Taichung, probably Kaohsiung as well, I'm not really sure. I know that the one in Taichung is like crazy religious and homophobic, like hardcore bible belt, it's hilarious. There's also an European school in Taipei.

They are usually extremely expensive so only rich expats would send their kids there, but they are also much better for kids as Taiwanese schools and basically the whole education system are a sad joke in general.

Last edited by Greysholic; 01-08-2016 at 09:26 AM..

Old 01-08-2016, 09:35 AM

595 posts, read 719,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Cool. Thanks. I wonder how extensive their networks are.
I've been looking on their websites.

The one of Spain does not seem very extensive, limited to neighboring countries or those with historical relationship. They have 11 schools in Morocco, 5 in Andorra, 3 in Argentina, 2 in France, 2 in Chile, 2 in Colombia, 2 in Mexico, 2 in Brazil, and one school in Italy, Portugal, the UK, Uruguay, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala and Dominican Republic.

Italian schools network is more widespread with Liceos in Algeria, Saudi Arabia, Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Russia, France, Germany, Greece, Iran, Libya, Morocco, Mozambique, Nigeria, Peru, Congo, Romania, Spain, US, Switzerland, Tunisia, Turkey, Uruguay, Venezuela,

Old 01-08-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post
I've been looking on their websites.

The one of Spain does not seem very extensive, limited to neighboring countries or those with historical relationship. They have 11 schools in Morocco, 5 in Andorra, 3 in Argentina, 2 in France, 2 in Chile, 2 in Colombia, 2 in Mexico, 2 in Brazil, and one school in Italy, Portugal, the UK, Uruguay, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala and Dominican Republic.

Italian schools network is more widespread with Liceos in Algeria, Saudi Arabia, Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Russia, France, Germany, Greece, Iran, Libya, Morocco, Mozambique, Nigeria, Peru, Congo, Romania, Spain, US, Switzerland, Tunisia, Turkey, Uruguay, Venezuela,
It does appear that there might be a small Spanish system school in Montreal where you can do your elementary and secondary schooling in Spanish.

I don't think there is an Italian school there, though. Beyond of course the second language places and the Saturday morning Italian language classes for kids from the community.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:33 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,379,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't think that's entirely true.

There are nationalities that when abroad will send their kids to their ''own'' group's expat schools even though the local schools are perfectly fine.
You're probably right. Luckily, we are living in the US not in the non-English country, a good district school is well adequate.

I couldn't imagine where to send my kids when we have moved to let's say Germany.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
You're probably right. Luckily, we are living in the US not in the non-English country, a good district school is well adequate.

I couldn't imagine where to send my kids when we have moved to let's say Germany.
Yeah. And just in case someone was wondering, I wasn't being judgemental.

My own kids are well advanced in their school years and putting them in school in another language all of sudden would likely be pretty tough on them.

With younger kids of course it's generally easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World