Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2016, 04:05 AM

919 posts, read 840,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
You are such a drama queen.
Alcohol has killed thousands of thousands people.

You are such an apathetic person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 06:24 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
Alcohol has killed thousands of thousands people.

You are such an apathetic person.
How do you explain the fact moderate drinkers live longer than those who don't drink at all.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:49 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
What's wrong with partying from times to times, especially in college?

The only thing that should be clear is that excess is never good, including full abstinence. That's at best naive from a social standpoint.

Being able to drink a couple of beers, glasses of wine or champagne and interacting in a social environment has never hurt.
If it's to become fully drunk and lose your mind, then the purpose is slightly wrong indeed but once in a while, it shouldn't be an issue.
This is the key- excess anything is bad.

I know people who are doing nothing with their lives because they spend all free time drinking in excess.

I personally did party and had fun when I was younger, but never to the point where I got bad grades, missed work or didn't progress with life. I have a hard time understanding those who don't set limits.

Now I actually have no interest in drinking. I have developed a very healthy lifestyle(food, exercise) and developed a natural non-interest in alcohol or stimulants.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
How do you explain the fact moderate drinkers live longer than those who don't drink at all.
Because you added "moderate". Simple as that.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
This is the key- excess anything is bad.

I know people who are doing nothing with their lives because they spend all free time drinking in excess.

I personally did party and had fun when I was younger, but never to the point where I got bad grades, missed work or didn't progress with life. I have a hard time understanding those who don't set limits.

Now I actually have no interest in drinking. I have developed a very healthy lifestyle(food, exercise) and developed a natural non-interest in alcohol or stimulants.
I like your lifestyle.

Do you meditate by the way? It has changed my life.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:58 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
I like your lifestyle.

Do you meditate by the way? It has changed my life.
Yes, I do! I also do LOTS of yoga and Buddhist chanting. My practices came one after another, now they fit together like pieces of a puzzle. They have brought many positive things to my life.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:45 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Because it's fun.

- Occationally using alcohol does not deteriorate your organs
- Well don't get in trouble, and if you do, don't tell anyone about it
Easier said than done. Once alcohol enters your bloodstream, you ability to make good decision decreases. In my opinion, Alcohol is a bad idea for a lot of folks.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:47 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Easier said than done. Once alcohol enters your bloodstream, you ability to make good decision decreases. In my opinion, Alcohol is a bad idea for a lot of folks.
It's fine in moderation

Old 02-22-2016, 07:13 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,159,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I get what you're saying, but what it sounds like it amounts to is basic peer pressure. So if someone chooses to pursue a career in one of these fields and they are a recovering alcoholic who must abstain, or someone who has a bad reaction to any amount of alcohol (I used to work with a woman who got a severe migraine with one sip of beer or wine), or someone who just abstains for personal reasons, then their career is in jeopardy? That sounds like discrimination to me. And if someone has to be "well oiled" to communicate socially, then that in itself is more of a negative reflection on them than a positive one.

IMHO.

Honestly, YES. And it is not discrimination. For instance when I did sales, I focused on Banks and Broker Dealers in Manhattan. When I got promoted I was told I could approach any one of them that was not a client already of firm.

My first lead I go a cool 40 something outgoing Jersey Shore type SVP on Phone and I got him to agree to meet me at bar by his building. After a few drinks, stories, laughs he said call him Monday. We did a deal. No one forced me to go, it was my sale but that is what that client wanted.

Another time I got oral presentations, RFPs, written proposals, sometimes go to game. But the story was as long as it was not Illegal, Immoral or Unethical you should make client happy.

Sales are very very hard to get. Until you are a Partner or CEO you cant be calling shots. I had one client guy was a health nut and I go with him and eat some good awful raw veggie stuff with water, my other friend met his health nut client at gym to chat.

I celebrated Chinese New Year, Festival of Lights, Passover, you name it based on how client did business.

One staff after dinner with a married couple client in Sweden took a nude hottub bath as that is what they do.

Sticking in your own culture such as what Chinese folks do in college and not going to parties etc. leaves you unprepared for this. I had one indian girl who worked for me who was 30 and did not understand Catholics don't eat meat during lent or Jews fast on certain days. She if I let her would book a steak dinner with Mr. Murphy on a Friday in Lent and a Lobster dinner for Mr Goldberg on Yom Kippur. Stuff if more exposed to people you would know

Old 02-22-2016, 08:59 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post

Sticking in your own culture such as what Chinese folks do in college and not going to parties etc. leaves you unprepared for this. I had one indian girl who worked for me who was 30 and did not understand Catholics don't eat meat during lent or Jews fast on certain days. She if I let her would book a steak dinner with Mr. Murphy on a Friday in Lent and a Lobster dinner for Mr Goldberg on Yom Kippur. Stuff if more exposed to people you would know
That's a valid point -- but cultural ignorance works both ways. How many non-Asians expect East Asians to go do business at bars, while 30% - 50% of East Asians are allergic to alcohol? How many clue in that Muslims don't drink? Or smoke? See how that works? The best idea would be for hiring orientation to include a class session on cultural awareness so that all of the employees, regardless of background, are more aware of some of these holiday/dietary restrictions issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World