Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .
LA 41 43.62%
Sydney 53 56.38%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 09:02 AM

4,315 posts, read 6,278,763 times

Advertisements

LA area has about 4x the population of Sydney area, so of course its going to have more of everything.

That said, I think that Sydney is a lot more liveable (not as crowded, better air quality, less crime/poverty, nicer beaches overall, better weather IMO, nicer people, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2021, 10:56 AM

910 posts, read 366,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
LA area has about 4x the population of Sydney area, so of course its going to have more of everything.

That said, I think that Sydney is a lot more liveable (not as crowded, better air quality, less crime/poverty, nicer beaches overall, better weather IMO, nicer people, etc.).
The actual population of LA is 4m, and Sydney 5.4m, so Sydney is actually bigger. Now every time I have tried to expand on what is the LA area, to include Disneyland, and the Orange County Beaches, I get "well that's not LA" You can't have it both ways, if LA is even twice as big, you have to include The Orange County Beaches, which are superior to the Sydney Area beaches, especially the 11 miles long Laguna Beach group of Beaches and Coves. You must like lots of rain, less sun, and more humidity, because that's what Sydney has, and LA doesn't. I don't believe you have ever been to Sydney, because you would not say nicer people than LA. In general LA people are warmer, and friendlier than Sydney, which tend to be a little more reserved. Now there are jerks everywhere! LA has the huge mountains, which does effect air quality, but it has gotten better over the years. The less crime and poverty I agree with you, because Australia has a far better social safety net.

Old 05-06-2021, 03:45 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,496,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindag View Post
The actual population of LA is 4m, and Sydney 5.4m, so Sydney is actually bigger. Now every time I have tried to expand on what is the LA area, to include Disneyland, and the Orange County Beaches, I get "well that's not LA" You can't have it both ways, if LA is even twice as big, you have to include The Orange County Beaches, which are superior to the Sydney Area beaches, especially the 11 miles long Laguna Beach group of Beaches and Coves. You must like lots of rain, less sun, and more humidity, because that's what Sydney has, and LA doesn't. I don't believe you have ever been to Sydney, because you would not say nicer people than LA. In general LA people are warmer, and friendlier than Sydney, which tend to be a little more reserved. Now there are jerks everywhere! LA has the huge mountains, which does effect air quality, but it has gotten better over the years. The less crime and poverty I agree with you, because Australia has a far better social safety net.
Its very difficult to draw like for like comparisons between Australia and the US in terms of where one city ends and where new one begin etc

The "city of Sydney" for instance is a 25km2 block of land, which has no beaches what so ever, and is the 5th Largest city in the Sydney Metropolitan area, behind places which virtually no one outside of Australia would have even heard of, such as Blacktown and Parramatta,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Sydney

The Greater Sydney region is actually a collection of 30 different city/Municipality governments, and we have no counties in Australia either.

Perhaps the best comparison may be LA county 12,310 kms vs the Sydney Metropolitan area which is 12,367 km2.

I dare say most of the people saying Orange County is not LA, are themselves North Americans, the whole county thing is quite Alien to Australians.

Old 05-06-2021, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Its very difficult to draw like for like comparisons between Australia and the US in terms of where one city ends and where new one begin etc

The "city of Sydney" for instance is a 25km2 block of land, which has no beaches what so ever, and is the 5th Largest city in the Sydney Metropolitan area, behind places which virtually no one outside of Australia would have even heard of, such as Blacktown and Parramatta,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Sydney

The Greater Sydney region is actually a collection of 30 different city/Municipality governments, and we have no counties in Australia either.

Perhaps the best comparison may be LA county 12,310 kms vs the Sydney Metropolitan area which is 12,367 km2.

I dare say most of the people saying Orange County is not LA, are themselves North Americans, the whole county thing is quite Alien to Australians.

The previous poster said LA was 4 times the size of Sydney. So Sydney 5.4M x 4= 21.6M for LA. Now LA County + Orange County + Ventura County + Inland Empire + Northern San Diego County would give you roughly that population. So you would have to include all the spectacular beaches of Orange County, Ventura County, and Northern San Diego County which has one of the most spectacular beaches in the world in La Jolla Beach. Please look that one up on YouTube, because I don't know how to post it here. I don't think that is fair to Sydney, because all those beaches are not part of greater or metro LA. Most of the ignorant posters, who probably have never been to Sydney, on this thread are my fellow Americans, not the Aussie's.

Old 05-06-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:
The previous poster said LA was 4 times the size of Sydney. So Sydney 5.4M x 4= 21.6M for LA. Now LA County + Orange County + Ventura County + Inland Empire + Northern San Diego County would give you roughly that population. So you would have to include all the spectacular beaches of Orange County, Ventura County, and Northern San Diego County which has one of the most spectacular beaches in the world in La Jolla Beach. Please look that one up on YouTube, because I don't know how to post it here. I don't think that is fair to Sydney, because all those beaches are not part of greater or metro LA. Most of the ignorant posters, who probably have never been to Sydney, on this thread are my fellow Americans, not the Aussie's.
I suspect they just rounded 3.5 times up to 4. The Greater LA area (LA+Organge + Ventura + Inland) is almost exactly 3.5 times the size of Greater Sydney.

The land area of greater LA is more than 7 times the size.

Old 05-06-2021, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I suspect they just rounded 3.5 times up to 4. The Greater LA area (LA+Organge + Ventura + Inland) is almost exactly 3.5 times the size of Greater Sydney.

The land area of greater LA is more than 7 times the size.
LA County and Greater Sydney have the same area, as you stated in another post. LA County has 10M, Greater Sydney has 5.4M, maybe that is a better comparison. Now much of LA County is undeveloped land, so those 10M are jammed into a smaller area. Now Orange County with 3M, also jammed into a small area, is totally connected to Los Angeles. Even Angels Stadium, near Disneyland in Anaheim is where the Los Angeles Angels play Baseball. That is the farthest an LA sports teams is located, about 26 miles from DTLA. The rest of them are much closer to DTLA.

Old 05-06-2021, 07:55 PM

Quote:
LA County and Greater Sydney have the same area, as you stated in another post. LA County has 10M, Greater Sydney has 5.4M, maybe that is a better comparison. Now much of LA County is undeveloped land, so those 10M are jammed into a smaller area. Now Orange County with 3M, also jammed into a small area, is totally connected to Los Angeles. Even Angels Stadium, near Disneyland in Anaheim is where the Los Angeles Angels play Baseball. That is the farthest an LA sports teams is located, about 26 miles from DTLA. The rest of them are much closer to DTLA.
Its exactly the same in Sydney and Every other Australian City for that Matter, The Australian Bureau of Statistics, collect that data on exactly that of the 12,367km2 that is greater Sydney, 6,663 km2 of it is National Park with no Population at all, and a further 3,898 km2 is rural farmland/small towns.

All Australian metros are exactly like that, Greater Brisbane (Which i live in of course) for Instance is more than 15,000 kms, but the actual Urban part is scarcely more than 1,000 kms 2.

Sydney has Wooloongong, the Central Coast and Newcastle, which you may consider to be connected to the city, however California as a whole is of course much more dense than Australia's East Coast, so I am sure where one city ends and the next one begins, is far more complicated still.

Brisbane/Gold Coast is the best example in Australia of how a single urban agglomeration can be considered two entirely Separate Cites. Its about 30 Miles from Brisbane CBD to where the gold Coast Starts, Brisbane City is far closer to the Gold Coast than most of the rural farm land that makes up that Greater Brisbane area However the two are still considered entirely separate cities,

Last edited by danielsa1775; 05-06-2021 at 08:44 PM..

Old 05-06-2021, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Its exactly the same in Sydney and Every other Australian City for that Matter, The Australian Bureau of Statistics, collect that data on exactly that of the 12,367km2 that is greater Sydney, 6,663 km2 of it is National Park with no Population at all, and a further 3,898 km2 is rural farmland/small towns.

All Australian metros are exactly like that, Greater Brisbane (Which i live in of course) for Instance is more than 15,000 kms, but the actual Urban part is scarcely more than 1,000 kms 2.
Always wanted to visit Brisbane, love that really long bar on the river. Would like to have a few beers, overlooking the river. I have only been to Melbourne and Sydney, but my brother has been to the Big 5. Sydney, Melbourne. Brisbane, Perth, and Adelaide, and Brisbane was his personal favorite. I am more of a Melbourne guy, would like to see an AFL game at the MCG, and just get wrecked. But unfortunately I am done with long flights, so I will just drive into Canada or Mexico for my travel.

Old 05-06-2021, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Always wanted to visit Brisbane, love that really long bar on the river. Would like to have a few beers, overlooking the river. I have only been to Melbourne and Sydney, but my brother has been to the Big 5. Sydney, Melbourne. Brisbane, Perth, and Adelaide, and Brisbane was his personal favorite. I am more of a Melbourne guy, would like to see an AFL game at the MCG, and just get wrecked. But unfortunately I am done with long flights, so I will just drive into Canada or Mexico for my travel.
Makes me want to get the bus and go and have a drink at it, when I am in the office its literally right in front of me

Old 05-07-2021, 03:43 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,521,102 times
Quote:
Great post. I have met so many Australians that love LA! Believe it or not, some of them even like to rent a car, and drive down the famous Boulevards in a convertible. Even though both Sydney, and LA have a lot of traffic, the Aussies tell me it is easier to drive in LA than Sydney. I have never driven in Sydney.
So many Australians who take a single trip to the US don't venture to the East coast unfortunately. So for many, LA is America...

You are certainly right that LA driving is easier than Sydney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World