Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .
LA 41 43.62%
Sydney 53 56.38%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 08:34 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,393,466 times

Advertisements

LA wipes its ass with Sydney. At best, Sydney might take cost of living and downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 08:26 PM

769 posts, read 1,006,708 times
I actually much prefer LA.

I've been to Sydney a few times (most recently just last month), and I have to say it's probably one of my least favorite cities in Australia. I much prefer Melbourne- among others!

In my opinion LA has the better weather. More sunshine, far less humidity, and just more of a pleasant temperature year round.

LA also feels more global and cosmopolitan to me. Sydney, although a major global city, isn't on LA's level and you can feel it. It's smaller, less influential, and feels like it's at a far-flung end of the planet in comparison to LA. Although, in terms of size, this also works against LA as well. As others have said, the traffic is horrendous and it can take literally hours to get anywhere.

Cuisine is really a toss up, but I'll give it to LA as well. In both cities you can find food from literally anywhere on earth. However, I think LA has more niche and quirky restaurants over Sydney (perhaps due to its larger size), that give it the edge over Sydney for me.

I also think there's more to do in LA. Again, size plays a role in this, but also from a tourist perspective, LA offers more imo. There's not loads and loads to see in Sydney. LA is also closer to other major cities than Sydney is, which is also a plus if one needs a quick getaway.

Cost of living is cheaper in Sydney though.

Sydney also has a better natural setting- the harbor is beautiful (although it's not Rio or Cape Town). Sydney's city beaches are better. The beaches in LA itself are alright, but if you really want a good beach you have to travel down to OC or further up north. Sydney also has less pollution.

They're both great cities, but for my personal preference, it's definitely LaLaLand!

Old 05-31-2016, 05:42 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
At best, Sydney might take cost of living and downtown.
Isn't Sydney one of the most expensive cities on Earth? Has one of the highest cost of living standards on the planet? Is Los Angeles really more expensive than that? I'm not so sure about that, I would have my doubts on Los Angeles being more expensive or even close to as expensive as Sydney.

Oh and Sydney takes way more than just downtown as a city to city comparison.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 05-31-2016 at 06:18 PM..

Old 05-31-2016, 07:01 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,393,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
I actually like the people in LA better (not everyone here is pretentious and plastic
How real are Australians in comparison really? From the looks of it, there are plenty of fake Australians, one who has nonetheless run off with a black American style and calls herself "the realest" in the first line of a song.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:04 PM

769 posts, read 1,006,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Isn't Sydney one of the most expensive cities on Earth? Has one of the highest cost of living standards on the planet? Is Los Angeles really more expensive than that? I'm not so sure about that, I would have my doubts on Los Angeles being more expensive or even close to as expensive as Sydney.

Oh and Sydney takes way more than just downtown as a city to city comparison.
According to this source (https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-l...angeles/sydney) the cost of living is roughly the same between the two cities.

I was actually there last month, and I really didn't find it that expensive in comparison to other major global cities. From my experience, things were indeed about the same, if not even cheaper than in LA. Both are definitely cheaper, however, than the likes of SF, NYC, London, Zurich, Geneva, Oslo, etc.

I think Sydney (as well as some other Aussie cities) shot up the COL rankings a few years ago because the Australian dollar was trading at an all-time high against a basket of other currencies. Now that it has come down to more normal and historic levels, the COL has obviously followed suit.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:07 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
According to this source (https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-l...angeles/sydney) the cost of living is roughly the same between the two cities.

I was actually there last month, and I really didn't find it that expensive in comparison to other major global cities. From my experience, things were indeed about the same, if not even cheaper than in LA. Both are definitely cheaper, however, than the likes of SF, NYC, London, Zurich, Geneva, Oslo, etc.

I think Sydney (as well as some other Aussie cities) shot up the COL rankings a few years ago because the Australian dollar was trading at an all-time high against a basket of other currencies. Now that it has come down to more normal and historic levels, the COL has obviously followed suit.
Understood. I haven't been to Sydney since the early 2000s and haven't ever lived there to know the intricate details on its cost of living. I've just been under the impression its housing prices have been running wild the last couple of years, especially due to a lack of consistent supply in housing.

I agree, those cities you mentioned, they more than likely are significantly more expensive than Sydney on an overall basis. The Zurichs of the world.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:37 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
I've never been to either, but I'll throw in my little 2 cents' worth:

Los Angeles and Sydney both have great natural beauty, loads of it to brag about. Sydney doesn't have the legendary levels of traffic congestion. Someone could conceivably live in Sydney without even owning a car... is that possible at all in LA? Beaches... LA has Venice Beach, Sydney has Bondi... mmm... tie.

LA has Hollywood, which Sydney doesn't have... Sydney can't compete there. On the other hand, LA has no koalas, kangaroos, wombats, etc. Awwww. LA has the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. So there's entertainment value in both cities.

LA has many economic opportunities due to its size, and spin-offs from the entertainment biz. Sydney has much closer access to so many Pacific countries, though. Great international opportunities, for a diverse range of businesses, in Sydney.

LA has a rich pop culture history, so many iconic neighbourhoods, buildings, etc. Sydney can't compete with that.

Sydney isn't as ethnically segregated as LA, at least that isn't my impression of it.

Crime rate: Sydney wins this one, no contest.

LA would be overwhelming to me, and I don't know how much of it can really be enjoyed unless you're very affluent. It's a place to star watch, that's my impression. Sydney would be more of a natural fit for me to visit and enjoy myself, with a nice balance of outdoor experiences plus cultural attractions that are accessible. Sydney sounds more relaxing and laid-back, LA sounds more crazy and challenging.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:24 AM

1,472 posts, read 1,342,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Understood. I haven't been to Sydney since the early 2000s and haven't ever lived there to know the intricate details on its cost of living. I've just been under the impression its housing prices have been running wild the last couple of years, especially due to a lack of consistent supply in housing.

I agree, those cities you mentioned, they more than likely are significantly more expensive than Sydney on an overall basis. The Zurichs of the world.

Here's another site comparing COL in different cities. Cost of Living Comparison Between Sydney, Australia And Los Angeles, CA, United States

Old 03-03-2019, 12:52 AM

569 posts, read 507,333 times
This is hard. I think LA is more fun, better nightlife, friendlier people, better arts...BUT Sydney has a much better quality of life by FAR; You don't see so many people struggling as you do in LA, there is a serious homeless issue there, its dirty (Venice Beach is a hole), it is polluted, there are some ghettos, you see a lot of poverty and people with mental issues. I like both cities, but I find LA more iconic and interesting, so it has my vote!

Old 03-03-2019, 02:25 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,520,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
How real are Australians in comparison really? From the looks of it, there are plenty of fake Australians, one who has nonetheless run off with a black American style and calls herself "the realest" in the first line of a song.

You think she is representative of Australians? Really?

This is a girl who left the country when she was 16 because she wanted to pursue that style of music. A girl who is disparaging toward Australia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World