Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your favorite Italian city?
Rome 15 21.43%
Naples 5 7.14%
Milan 6 8.57%
Turin 4 5.71%
Genoa 0 0%
Florence 13 18.57%
Venice 17 24.29%
Palermo 1 1.43%
Bologna 4 5.71%
Other 5 7.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 11:48 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,473,443 times

Advertisements

Venice and Florence are top notch cities. I loved everything about them. I wasn't the biggest fan of Rome, I'll have to give it another shot in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 01:13 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,189,972 times
I have been to Firenze, Bologna, Milano, Roma and Venezia. The first two were my favorites.

Still, most interesting to me: Maranello/Fiorano and Imola

Old 07-14-2016, 01:31 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,063,385 times
I'm not sure, but for me it wouldn't be Venice. I found it to be totally overrated when I went - it was dirty and full of pigeons.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:07 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,900,630 times
Rome was really neat, especially from a historically standpoint, but my favorite city was probably Florence. My favorite part of Italy were the rural areas between Rome and Florence. My least favorite city was Pisa. The leaning tower area was cool, but the city as a whole wasn't really that interesting and the number of street vendors selling junk and the amount of trash in the streets was disgusting.

Florence had awesome architecture, seemingly more friendly people, it was cleaner then the other cities I went to, and the surrounding rural areas were amazingly beautiful.

It's on my bucket list to do a road trip around Italy visiting all the different regions and cities.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:41 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I've only been to a few. I like Venice, Florence, Rome, and Turin. I'd say Venice if can only pick one. It has the most wow factor.

But Rome is the one I'd go again, because it's the largest.
Depends. Counting metropolitan areas, Milan is larger and Napoli is just as large. This is because Rome's municipality has absorbed several nearby ones throughout the years so it includes more than half the metropolitan area. The core of Rome is probably as large as the core of Napoli and Milan and the suburbs aren't as dense either. By the way, talking about historical centers, i was surprised at how large Napoli's and Genoa's were, probably both, especially the former, are as large as Rome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Haven't visited Italy yet but i think i would rank them like this...

1.Rome
2.Venice
3.Florence
4.Genoa

5.Milan/Bologna
7.Napoli/Palermo
9.Turin
Turin really is a lovely city, brilliant nightlife especially on the riverside and in the Quadrilatero and San Salvario areas (hidden from most tourist who miss out). I would never place it ninth and aside from that, it's probably the most well organized large city in the whole country having turned itself and requalified all the former factories which shut up shop in the 80s. I voted for it but it's probably because i know the city just like my backpocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
I have been to Firenze, Bologna, Milano, Roma and Venezia. The first two were my favorites.

So you are a F1 buff? No Monza?

Old 07-14-2016, 03:49 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Rome was really neat, especially from a historically standpoint, but my favorite city was probably Florence. My favorite part of Italy were the rural areas between Rome and Florence. My least favorite city was Pisa. The leaning tower area was cool, but the city as a whole wasn't really that interesting and the number of street vendors selling junk and the amount of trash in the streets was disgusting.

Florence had awesome architecture, seemingly more friendly people, it was cleaner then the other cities I went to, and the surrounding rural areas were amazingly beautiful.

It's on my bucket list to do a road trip around Italy visiting all the different regions and cities.
Best way to visit Italy in my opinion. A road trip is really worth it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Milan is the best
Lovely place to live and to visit although more so if you into modern architecture of any kind. It's also dynamic, multicultural and bustling. That said, nightlife and overall activity is excessively spread out for my liking, makes it lovely for whoever lives there but not so much for tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post

Old 07-15-2016, 04:42 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,733,717 times
I haven't been to Naples and Palermo, but considering what I've read, visiting them - hopefully a few weeks from now - won't change my opinion. I'm voting on which city I would rather live in. I prefer big cities and Milan is the largest metro. It feels like a real, working city rather than a theme park for tourists. Hell, I even enjoyed visiting it. If the poll is about the city I'd rather go back to, right now it would be Venice as it's unlike anything else. But from what I've heard, living there sounds like a nightmare, with rents going up, shops geared towards locals being replaced by shops selling fake Murano artifacts or carnival masks and the sheer number of tourists in the streets. If it means living in Mestre, no thanks.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:40 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,527,917 times
Florence. For no special reason, I feel in love with that city.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:18 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,189,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Not yet, but I would like to be attending a future Italian GP. I have been to Monaco, Spa-Francorchamps and Barcelona.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:22 PM

536 posts, read 639,606 times
You forgot Verona
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World