Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your favorite Italian city?
Rome 15 21.43%
Naples 5 7.14%
Milan 6 8.57%
Turin 4 5.71%
Genoa 0 0%
Florence 13 18.57%
Venice 17 24.29%
Palermo 1 1.43%
Bologna 4 5.71%
Other 5 7.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 03:25 PM

9,369 posts, read 14,319,337 times

Advertisements

Thing about Rome is that, in terms of historical heritage, it has at least a bit of everything since basically the year one and a lot of many things. It is unique in that sense, especially in terms of both Mediterranean and European history.

But Venice is also unique, in my view mainly because it was the longest-lasting island-based purely Mediterranean Empire, even though that major epoch in history is long forgotten in the modern world and most people who go to Venice have little or no idea of what they are looking at and why.

Florence is also unique as the birthplace of the European Renaissance, closer to the modern mindset.

And that's why Rome, Venice and Florence are the Holy Triad in terms of Italian tourism.

In my experience, Napoli and Palermo have the best food, but also Bologna.

Anywhere in Italy is good as a university student.

For work and career, Milan by far, maybe Turin a distant second or third, and Rome too is a possibility.

For retirement and death, I would consider Rome, Venice, Lecce or somewhere in Salento (extreme southeast tip of the heal of Italy), or eastern Sicily somewhere between Syracuse and Messina.

Or northern Sicily around Cefalu.

Or southwestern Sicily around Agrigento and the valley of the temples.

Or around Palermo.

But the Adriatic shoreline towns of Veneto are also attractive.

Well, just about anywhere in Italy and I am utterly confused by the beauty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 04:48 PM

8,867 posts, read 8,450,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Depends. Counting metropolitan areas, Milan is larger and Napoli is just as large. This is because Rome's municipality has absorbed several nearby ones throughout the years so it includes more than half the metropolitan area. The core of Rome is probably as large as the core of Napoli and Milan and the suburbs aren't as dense either. By the way, talking about historical centers, i was surprised at how large Napoli's and Genoa's were, probably both, especially the former, are as large as Rome
Well I didn't like Milan that much and I've never been to Naples so I can't compare them.

I just feel like Rome has the most revisiting values as there are plenty to see. I couldn't walk pass a block without hitting some millenium or at least centuries old building. Ok that was exaggeration but you get what I mean.

The downside for me is that it's really dirty, I don't think any European city that I've been to comes close. I don't want to bash it as I liked it but seriously it was pretty gross, and the traffic was also terrible by European standard, the amount of motorcycles made me feel like I was home earlier.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:36 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,713,074 times
I haven't been to Italy but something tells me that I'd really like Naples.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:47 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,300,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
I think it would be a decent series if anyone (but Americans because we've had enough of those kind of threads from them) would start this kind of thread abouts his/her own country. As an Italian, i'm curious to see how this goes.............................
Good thread idea. To be honest, I have never been a huge fan of Italy's largest cities, though Milan left a better impression on me on the second visit. I absolutely loved Verona -- just a perfect town, not too small not too big, with amazing atmosphere and buzz. Bologna is also great. Florence is magnificent, as is Venice of course, but both are overrun with tourists which detracts from local flavor. Of the smaller cities I've visited, I loved Bergamo, Siena and Perugia.

Going again for two weeks in September and planning to hit a few cities I haven't been to before, including Turin, Parma and Modena.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:33 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,294,969 times
1. Rovigo
2. Foggia
3. Piacenza

Old 07-20-2016, 11:00 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,822,778 times
I really liked Rome and Naples... Venice was beautiful but really stinky and that kind of ruined it for me. Florence was great too but I voted for Rome.

Old 07-20-2016, 03:55 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
I've only been to Rome, Milan, Florence and Venice, but passed through Naples, Turin and Genoa.

The area around Naples...Sorrento was spectacular and would go again.

Rome was only a day, so I'm eager to really do it justice.

So out of the three Milan, Florence and Venice...ugh. Well Milan was OK, it didn't impress me. Perhaps it was stepping out of the train station and seeing a very uninspired view that tainted my impression. Although there were some nice sights, it didn't make me fall in love with it.

Florence and Venice....so difficult. I know Florence better and the surrounding hills. Like Venice it's crazy touristy at times...but the edge goes to Venice. It was one of the few places that when I stepped out of the train station I was stunned. Incredible place.

Old 07-20-2016, 03:57 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I really liked Rome and Naples... Venice was beautiful but really stinky and that kind of ruined it for me. Florence was great too but I voted for Rome.
That's why I planned my trip in Spring. I hear summers are like that.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:11 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,822,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
That's why I planned my trip in Spring. I hear summers are like that.
Yeah I did go in the summer... Lol

Old 07-21-2016, 07:50 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,333,827 times
Haven't been in Italy yet but here are my top 10 cities that I want to visit

1) Roma
2) Venezia
3) Palermo
4) Torino
5) Capri
6) Verona
7) Amalfi
8) Perugia
9) Genoa
10) Cagliari
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World