Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 10:01 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
The problem with SD is that the venues would have to be quite spread out, many perhaps not technically in the city of SD so the IOC would have to work with several city governments. A good place around SD would be Chula Vista which already has an Olympic Training Center and room for development. Water sports events however would be in SD, quite possibly Mission Bay which as you know is no where near where an Olympic Village etc. would be in CV.

It's not impossible though and I think SD would be a great Olympic city.

I think so too- it's also very clean, safe and tourist friendly. I wonder why the bid was passed up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 11:41 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
[/b]

I think so too- it's also very clean, safe and tourist friendly. I wonder why the bid was passed up?
Like I said, feasibility is an issue in SD. Not to mention, we can't even get a new stadium and update our own convention center. Our city leaders aren't known for competence.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:46 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Somewhere in Africa as the last inhabited continent yet to host an Olympic games.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:36 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,837,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Somewhere in Africa as the last inhabited continent yet to host an Olympic games.
Something of the likes of Mogadishu maybe. Would give the government (if they have one?) to get rid of the war lords.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:52 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,589 times
Quote:
I hate to agree with winterfall not because I don't like LA but more because he's two tacos short of a combo plate. However, he makes a good case for LA, not because of his insane statement about Paris but because LA really wouldn't have to build much of anything so it would hardly be a loss for LA.
Same goes for Rome (and to a lesser extent Paris). They would just have to redevelop most of the structures that are already there, speed up the metro works that have been going on for decades already. Only a few structures such as the Olympic Park would need to be built from scratch. I think a loss is practically automatic though. Look at London for an example, they had most of the things already in place but ended up spending 287% more than forecast losing a decent chunk of money.

Two videos from the official website of Rome 2024:

https://youtu.be/QiUpJRyIiUo

https://youtu.be/fcrs0kw82RU

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I think San Diego would be better, LA just seems very spread out, plus they already hosted. SD wasn't chosen though- maybe the infrastructure isn't enough to sustain the games.
San Diego wouldn't hold a candle in terms of appeal to Budapest, Rome and Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
it'll happen. The EU is afraid of Hungary due to their questioning of refugees so they're out, Paris is pretty much terrorist controlled territory, that leaves LA.
And Rome

Old 08-12-2016, 10:59 AM

I still think Olympics aren't worth the candle. Here are a few tables to prove it (they are in Italian but rather understandable):

Difference between starting budget and final budget to organize Olympic Games:

Increase in budget to organize the Olympic Games (in terms of percentage):

Total cost of each Olympic Game (third column) and cost per country's inhabitant (fourth column):

Old 08-12-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post

San Diego wouldn't hold a candle in terms of appeal to Budapest, Rome and Paris
We know this, we just think it's a better option than Los Angeles.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
I still think Olympics aren't worth the candle. Here are a few tables to prove it (they are in Italian but rather understandable):

Difference between starting budget and final budget to organize Olympic Games:

Increase in budget to organize the Olympic Games (in terms of percentage):

Total cost of each Olympic Game (third column) and cost per country's inhabitant (fourth column):
I think this talk about money is sort of missing the point of the Olympics.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I think this talk about money is sort of missing the point of the Olympics.
I still love watching the games as they put otherwise minor sports in the spotlight and are the only properly global sport event but the point of the Olympics was lost in 1936 when they started being used as a megalomaniac event so that the host country could show its grandeur. Now, hosting them means running at a loss. Is this loss valuable enough for the citizens of a country?

Old 08-12-2016, 12:02 PM

733 posts, read 603,149 times
Rio Olympics should be the last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World