Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 02:44 PM

207 posts, read 497,864 times

Advertisements

I recently was on a subway in the United States and I saw two Russian girls with one guy among them.

Look, I love Russians & their culture. I like their women especially & I speak their language. I've even taken classes in school with Russians.

Anyway, I went up to them, said hello in Russian and they looked at me, only to ignore me afterwards.

Is this normal? Or is this typical behavior on a subway to be like that.

Moreover, as I mentioned that I took classes with Russians in school before. Are Russian Americans generally nicer than Russians in Russia?

EDIT: Last question I will ask when it comes to topics like these. At least for a while that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 02:54 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,021,534 times
They're only nice to Americans/Brits etc. Other than that they're just another Turkey/UK - invading other countries and "getting" what they can (I'm trying to be nice here .

Old 08-17-2016, 03:36 PM

61,725 posts, read 87,147,355 times
So.... you are approaching Russian women on subway? I don't think this method will work, in Russia... or pretty much anywhere else
BTW: how good is your Russian? Can you make a meaningful conversation?

Old 08-17-2016, 05:28 PM

70 posts, read 70,887 times
Well some people might consider a random stranger approaching them in the subway and greeting them a little weird, however most people Russian or not, would at least make some small talk until they reach their station. I don't think most people would outright ignore you like you don't exist, even if they are wary of strangers.

Maybe they were just rude . Most Russians I've met have been really nice so I doubt that was the problem. Maybe you should try making Russian friends elsewhere, even online would be an improvement from the metro .

Old 08-17-2016, 05:32 PM

207 posts, read 497,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
So.... you are approaching Russian women on subway? I don't think this method will work, in Russia... or pretty much anywhere else
BTW: how good is your Russian? Can you make a meaningful conversation?
Than you for pointing this out.

Also, I can speak Russian on a minimal level since it has been a year since I spoke the language. I forgot a lot. I can speak a few sentences in Russian and I can write entirely in Russian.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:43 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,463,657 times
Russian Americans are mostly friendly if your friendly

Old 08-17-2016, 06:58 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
OP, it's hard to generalize. I've noticed that a lot of young Russian immigres are very stand-offish, and hang out mainly among other young Russ immigres. I'm from the Russ. community in the Bay Area, btw, but I was born here. Some other young immigres can be very nice, sweet. Russians in Russia, generally speaking,k are fabulous, allowing for normal human variation, but like anywhere, you need a way to break the ice.

What I noticed when I was in London and spotted foreigners, and tried to say hello to Russians, and other people who obviously weren't from there, is that nobody wanted to talk, and everyone said they were from London, no matter how obvious it was that they weren't. They wanted to be left alone. They seemed to feel that a complete stranger approaching them was invading their privacy, their space, and that it was a strange thing to do.

I hope this helps shed some insight on your encounters.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:51 PM

1,147 posts, read 718,292 times
Why do Americans start conversations with strangers? I don't quite understand it.

I'm not criticising. I'm just curious.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:21 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,463,657 times
Default country people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
Why do Americans start conversations with strangers? I don't quite understand it.

I'm not criticising. I'm just curious.
I noticed mostly people from small towns or country people try to talk to random strangers , they do it a lot in the grocery store while standing in line and they also like to waste time talking to the cashier about the weather, politics, sports, family

they cause the line to be very slow because they talk too much

Old 08-17-2016, 10:23 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethalstad View Post
I recently was on a subway in the United States and I saw two Russian girls with one guy among them.

Look, I love Russians & their culture. I like their women especially & I speak their language. I've even taken classes in school with Russians.

Anyway, I went up to them, said hello in Russian and they looked at me, only to ignore me afterwards.

Is this normal? Or is this typical behavior on a subway to be like that.

Moreover, as I mentioned that I took classes with Russians in school before. Are Russian Americans generally nicer than Russians in Russia?

EDIT: Last question I will ask when it comes to topics like these. At least for a while that is.
Usually Russians try to give some acknowledgement to those who try to speak their language. However it sounds like these particular people were just plain rude. But then, again, you don't expect ALL Russians to be nice, do you?
I for one don't, so I stay in touch with some and avoid like plague the others.
So take this incident as an *accumulated experience,* lol))))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World