Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2016, 05:17 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
More often than not, they are not Canadians doing that. Believe it or not there are actually many, many more American travellers abroad that put Canadian flags on their backpacks, luggage and clothing than there are Canadians doing it. It's called flag-jacking and it's been going on for years. There's even businesses in USA that specialize in making "Canada Kits" (hat, jacket, pants, pins, flags) for American travellers.

The following travel site discusses why non-Canadian travellers practise Canadian flag-jacking and gives tips on how to tell the difference between a real Canadian and a flag-jacker, also there are comments and further tips from other travellers about their experiences with flag-jackers.

How to Spot a Flag-Jacker - Travel Blog by FlightNetwork

So if you're travelling and you see people wearing apparent Canadian identifiers don't automatically assume that they are Canadians.

Interesting, in the comments section you reference, the Canadians are saying that it happens all the time and the Americans are saying "Uhh no, we do not do this".

Frankly, and this has nothing to do with how I feel about Canada, I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a Canadian flag on any part of my body and further, I doubt that this happens at all let alone often.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:18 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,625 times
Canadians really believe that they are better received than Americans when abroad. LMAO

Poor things don't realize that it's basically irrelevant whether they are Yanks or Canucks. It's all in their heads.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:25 AM

How nationalistic and patriotic of them. Aren't those attributes negative when it comes to Americans?

You guys would make an interesting case study for a psychology class.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:08 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
More often than not, they are not Canadians doing that. Believe it or not there are actually many, many more American travellers abroad that put Canadian flags on their backpacks, luggage and clothing than there are Canadians doing it. It's called flag-jacking and it's been going on for years. There's even businesses in USA that specialize in making "Canada Kits" (hat, jacket, pants, pins, flags) for American travellers.

The following travel site discusses why non-Canadian travellers practise Canadian flag-jacking and gives tips on how to tell the difference between a real Canadian and a flag-jacker, also there are comments and further tips from other travellers about their experiences with flag-jackers.

How to Spot a Flag-Jacker - Travel Blog by FlightNetwork

So if you're travelling and you see people wearing apparent Canadian identifiers don't automatically assume that they are Canadians.

It doesn't really surprise me there are many Americans flag-jacking the Canadian flag to rid themselves of negative stereotypes abroad. Good points are being made in that article:

any claim of Canadian citizenship is met with automatic scepticism unless the speaker had an obvious Quebecois accent.

I don't want to give any one any ideas but I could imagine flag-jackers start impersonating a Canadian accent too sooner or later.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:10 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Interesting, in the comments section you reference, the Canadians are saying that it happens all the time and the Americans are saying "Uhh no, we do not do this".

Frankly, and this has nothing to do with how I feel about Canada, I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a Canadian flag on any part of my body and further, I doubt that this happens at all let alone often.

You'd be wrong then wouldn't you?

It happened VERY often and for you to try to deny what was known by the entire world as a common practice throughout the sixties and well into the seventies is just more of the same from you.

Were you ever overseas during the Vietnam war? You couldn't find an American if you hung a sign around your neck stating you were a Red Sox fan. Everyone was a Canadian, even the ones with a southern "Y'all" accent. That abated for a time only to return somewhat during the Bush II era.

American abroad? Try traveling Canadian - US news - Weird news | NBC News

Maple leaf masquerade - Washington Times

Why are Americans Disguising themselves as Canadians?

This is more recent:

CNN Tells American Travellers How To Pretend To Be Canadian

You won't find any reference anywhere to Canadians pretending to be Americans; perhaps asking yourself why that anomaly exists at all might enlighten you a bit.

Now as to your scornful admonishment you'd personally never wear anything marking you as Canadian, perhaps not, but I can think of at least 6 of your fellows who were perfectly content to not only pretend to be Canadians but actually carry a Canadian passport for a day.

Last edited by BruSan; 12-21-2016 at 07:34 AM..

Old 12-21-2016, 06:18 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Canadians really believe that they are better received than Americans when abroad. LMAO

Poor things don't realize that it's basically irrelevant whether they are Yanks or Canucks. It's all in their heads.
Of course it is, that's why so many Americans have pretended to be Canadians while the obverse has NEVER been the practice anywhere, anytime.

Anyone of an age to have travelled overseas during the 1960's throughout the 1970's knows of this very common practice. It actually resumed prominence for a time during the Shrub's Iraq adventure.

Of course you'd try to re-write history to improve the optics and avoid embarrassment. That too, is a common American practice.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:50 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
I dunno...I'm American and don't have those thoughts. But then, I'm the first generation born in the U.S. and have strong international connections.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:29 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Oh who cares if a few insecure Americans think it makes a lot of difference to others if they "flag jack" the Canadian flag or identity? I think it's a lot of brouhaha over nothing. And I think that anyone who thinks plastering Canadian flags all over themselves makes any significant difference (either American or Canadian) is sort of self obsessing a bit too much.

I've traveled all over the world, as an American, and people have always been polite and friendly to me - including some interesting two way conversations when they find out I'm from Texas.

Newsflash folks - if you're friendly and polite, others are very likely to reciprocate.

Personally I think it's a little weird to be flashing ANY other country's flag around all over the place on your clothing or luggage in a foreign country but hey, that's just me.

When I visit foreign countries and get into conversations with nationals there, I am generally asking THEM questions about THEIR country - in other words, talking about them, not myself. Of course, if they ask questions I'll answer them but I'm there to experience THEIR culture, not force mine on them.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:34 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
But to answer the OP's original question:

Quote:
why do Americans think the world care they're Americans?
Believe it or not, when I'm traveling and people hear my Texan accent, I am often asked where I'm from, and when I say the US and Texas, they often begin asking LOTS of questions (always, without exception, polite and friendly questions, by the way).

And you know what - whenever I hear someone in the US talking with a foreign accent, I'm likely to ask them, in a friendly and polite way, where they are from. It's called "being interested in others."

So yeah - that's why Americans traveling in foreign countries might think that others care that they're Americans - because others, generally in a friendly and polite manner, ask them about it. It's the art of conversation, and it's a widespread art.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Of course it is, that's why so many Americans have pretended to be Canadians while the obverse has NEVER been the practice anywhere, anytime.

Anyone of an age to have travelled overseas during the 1960's throughout the 1970's knows of this very common practice. It actually resumed prominence for a time during the Shrub's Iraq adventure.

Of course you'd try to re-write history to improve the optics and avoid embarrassment. That too, is a common American practice.
Actually, I lived in the UK toward the end of the Vietnam war and spent much time on the continent. Pretending not to be American never even entered our minds. It's a Canadian dream that this behavior is commonplace or that they get better service because they are Canadian. I'm sure some feeble minded American liberals played this charade along the way, but it is mostly internet yore. The CNN piece is almost satirical.

Living over there, we did pick up a bit of a British accent for a while and we did know to distinguish ourselves as Americans if there was ever a run in with the IRA, which never took place. But pretending to be something you're not is for the most insecure of people.

Americans are notorious for over tipping while Canadians have a tight fisted reputation, so my experience has been better service, not worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.