Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Anglophone country do you consider "most diverse"?
Australia 5 8.93%
Canada 8 14.29%
Ireland 0 0%
New Zealand 0 0%
United Kingdom 4 7.14%
United States of America 39 69.64%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 01:21 PM

26,874 posts, read 38,004,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, Canada is in North America. The cities of Canada have development histories and conditions a lot more similar to that of the US than that of Europe. I don't reckon it'd be much of a surprise in that sense. That being said, not sharing a common language with the United States does make Quebec a bit more distinctive though I don't find Montreal that similar to Minneapolis. Perhaps some of the slightly older cities further east in the US. Minneapolis doesn't have the kind of structural density that Montreal and other older NA cities have. If you're going to pick a major US city, Philadelphia is maybe a bit closer.

There is no way Montreal feels like Minneapolis in any way. I actually thought that was a joke when I read it. Except maybe the climate and kids playing road or pond hockey.

In terms of style, feel and form Montreal's American peers are clearly Philadelphia and Boston, and even NYC to some degree.

In any event even if you were a deaf illiterate I don't think Montreal comes across as a U.S.-style city that much. Though it's true the U.S. has a lot of diversity among its cities. But Montreal would still be an outlier among them.

I'd also say that if some people feel that Montreal is similar to a U.S. city, then every other major city in Canada (except Quebec City) must feel *indistinguishable" from American ones to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 01:24 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,107,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In terms of linguistic demographics, it was probably fairly similar believe it or not.

But what changed was the linguistic dynamic and the place of French within the very broadest affairs of the city (especially all sectors of employment) and as a lingua franca.
Why do you not care for Montreal (you've mentioned this on some other threads) and choose to live in Gatineau? Just asking.

I have to disagree with you about Phila., NYC and Montreal. I know these cities well, and besides their closer links to Europe, they don't feel much like Montreal at all. True, Minneapolis is the US Midwest. But it has a casual progressive, efficient atmosphere that reminds me of Montreal. I thought Montreal felt much like a well-run American city outside the Northeast. I felt immediately at home.

Last edited by masonbauknight; 04-16-2020 at 01:32 PM..

Old 04-16-2020, 01:31 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Philadelphia, where I have lived and studied, has the density of Montreal (and throughout most of the city) and an old historic quarter, but from there the comparison is imperfect. Philadelphia's quality of life, uneven cleanliness, insecurity, and social inequality are just some of that. Minneapolis has the "wholesome," accessible, comfortable feel that much of Montreal has, though its suburbs are far less dense. The city center is walkable, very livable, and pretty progressive and sophisticated. It also has large parks (like Mont Royal) that are safe, an efficient city government, and a relaxed atmosphere (crime rate again) that reminds me of Montreal. I was never expecting Montreal to be like Lyon. Still, it was shockingly American in feel.
Yea, there’s no perfect fit, but Minneapolis is a pretty bad fit for a Montreal comparison. Canadian cities have some differences from US cities of similar size due to different land use policies and a far less pervasive inner city freeway construction and urban renewal efforts in the 20th century. At least Philadelphia was able to retain a significant amount of its dense pre-auto urban core which is what makes it a more fitting comparison to Montreal even though Montreal is obviously not going to be the same as it’s in Quebec. If we’re to prioritize the attributes you’ve mentioned for Minneapolis, then US cities in general would not make for the best comparisons.

Old 04-16-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Why do you not care for Montreal (you've mentioned this on some other threads) and choose to live in Gatineau? Just asking.
When did I ever say I don't care for/like Montreal? I love Montreal! (Some people see me as a shameless Montreal homer, especially when it's compared to Toronto.)

Old 04-16-2020, 01:33 PM

[quote=masonbauknight;57862820] It might be from the late 1960s -- a time when a French friend in Montreal was answered in English every single time she asked a question in French at Hudson's Bay/La Baie department store. [quote]

Back then they would probably have answered a native-born multi-generational francophone Montrealer in English too.

Old 04-16-2020, 01:35 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
In terms of linguistic demographics, it was probably fairly similar believe it or not.

But what changed was the linguistic dynamic and the place of French within the very broadest affairs of the city (especially all sectors of employment) and as a lingua franca.
Ah, I see. I slightly misunderstood that at first.

Old 04-16-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
[i]
Back then they would probably have answered a native-born multi-generational francophone Montrealer in English too.
Yes, that's what my friend told me: it even applied to the Québécois. She was Parisian and lived in Montreal as a teen (her father was transferred to Montreal for business). I was glad to find Montreal was nothing like that decades later, on my first visit. Still, it was the "Americana" that surprised me there. As I said: "unfiltered."

Old 04-16-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Yes, that's what my friend told me: it even applied to the Québécois. She was Parisian and lived in Montreal as a teen (her father was transferred to Montreal for business). I was glad to find Montreal was nothing like that decades later, on my first visit.."

That was one of the main rationales for Bill 101 (the language laws).

Quote:
Still, it was the "Americana" that surprised me there. As I said: "unfiltered."
I do know what you mean by "unfiltered". It's a decent way to describe it. Though it's not (quasi) totally dominant to the exclusion of most anything esle like it is in other places... like Toronto.

Old 04-16-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Though it's not (quasi) totally dominant to the exclusion of most anything esle like it is in other places... like Toronto.
Very true. And Toronto never had anyone like Pauline Julien, among others.

Old 07-02-2020, 09:58 PM

87 posts, read 60,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, there’s no perfect fit, but Minneapolis is a pretty bad fit for a Montreal comparison. Canadian cities have some differences from US cities of similar size due to different land use policies and a far less pervasive inner city freeway construction and urban renewal efforts in the 20th century. At least Philadelphia was able to retain a significant amount of its dense pre-auto urban core which is what makes it a more fitting comparison to Montreal even though Montreal is obviously not going to be the same as it’s in Quebec. If we’re to prioritize the attributes you’ve mentioned for Minneapolis, then US cities in general would not make for the best comparisons.
There is a far greater number of dense American cities, both large and mid-sized, than Canadian ones, so...no
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World