Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 12:59 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,331,648 times

Advertisements

Korea strategically is very important for both the US and China, so both countries wants to pull Korea on their side. Just Korea is not really interested in politically supporting China, and at the same time wants to maintain good trade relations with their biggest trade partner.

They are really in a bad situation due to that pressure, bascially China tells them "decide - us or them" - while Korea shares most common values with the US and the west, they rely on China as their biggest export market. I hope the west will support Korea in a way, that they are in a better negotiation position towards china - if China wants to play the stubborn child, one should start taking away their candy and let them trade with themselves. But "America first" policy doesn't indicate that the west is willing or strong enough to boycott the yellow dragon for the worlds sake.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:34 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,797,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I have yet to meet anyone who agree with that view. However, I am honestly confused by it and do want to be able to understand the other side of the coin. Can you explain to me how and why THAAD in South Korea is seen as a threat? I know very little about weapons, so I was under the impression that THAAD was purely defensive, but, again, I am no expert, so does it actually have some sort of offensive capabilities to attack China?
THAAD is an anti-ballistic missile system and indeed purely defensive in nature. China sees it as a threat, as now they have to create missiles to bypass the defence shield, a capability they probably don't have.

It's like a feud between two neighbours where one has the upper hand because he has a gun. The neighbour installs bulletproof windows and can't be bullied anymore. Now the gun-wielding neighbour in all his anger must buy a bazooka.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:47 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
THAAD is an anti-ballistic missile system and indeed purely defensive in nature. China sees it as a threat, as now they have to create missiles to bypass the defence shield, a capability they probably don't have.

It's like a feud between two neighbours where one has the upper hand because he has a gun. The neighbour installs bulletproof windows and can't be bullied anymore. Now the gun-wielding neighbour in all his anger must buy a bazooka.
Wrong analogy.
In case China and the US have a war (just in theory), you think THAAD still does no harm to China?

Old 03-24-2017, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Korea strategically is very important for both the US and China, so both countries wants to pull Korea on their side. Just Korea is not really interested in politically supporting China, and at the same time wants to maintain good trade relations with their biggest trade partner.

They are really in a bad situation due to that pressure, bascially China tells them "decide - us or them" - while Korea shares most common values with the US and the west, they rely on China as their biggest export market. I hope the west will support Korea in a way, that they are in a better negotiation position towards china - if China wants to play the stubborn child, one should start taking away their candy and let them trade with themselves. But "America first" policy doesn't indicate that the west is willing or strong enough to boycott the yellow dragon for the worlds sake.
No matter what you learned from western media (which is 99% negative about anything from China), China is not as evil as in your opinion, and the politicians know that too.
Almost all Americans who have spent some time in China say their impression on China improved.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Wrong analogy.
In case China and the US have a war (just in theory), you think THAAD still does no harm to China?
Why would the US and China have a war? And yes, THAAD is not an offensive weapon system, it's based on the Patriot SAM, and works with kinetic energy. It hits other missiles without detonating them.

China is just butthurt because their threats are not that effective anymore.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Why would the US and China have a war? And yes, THAAD is not an offensive weapon system, it's based on the Patriot SAM, and works with kinetic energy. It hits other missiles without detonating them.

China is just butthurt because their threats are not that effective anymore.
Don't you know the radar system can monitor missiles in China? Would you allow your neighbor to install a camera in your bedroom, even if you have no fights?

It is in East Asia, next to China. Do you think the US will be happy if China builds a THAAD in Mexico or Canada?

Old 03-24-2017, 04:26 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,437,035 times
Quote:
Don't you know the radar system can monitor missiles in China? Would you allow your neighbor to install a camera in your bedroom, even if you have no fights?

It is in East Asia, next to China. Do you think the US will be happy if China builds a THAAD in Mexico or Canada?
Now that's a really stupid analogy. The neighbor is installing a camera in their bedroom, not your bedroom.

The second part is even more stupid. America is not a threat to Canada or Mexico, but China is a huge threat to Korea's security.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Do you think the US will be happy if China builds a THAAD in Mexico or Canada?
Well, China can't. Tough luck.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:46 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,896,255 times
Quote:

I think a better analogy would be, say you have a small neighborhood of 3 houses ( S Korea, N Korea, and China). One house keeps threatens another, so the house sets up a high powered security cameras on its roof looking into the other homes backyards. It's an automated system with 100% coverage of a certain distance. Now the other neighbor who has no wrongdoing is also getting captured, so it's understandable why they are upset, but in my opinion the house has a right to monitor and defend itself. The crazy neighbor has been known to throw fireworks around their home and has damaged their car (fishing boats), and there are even rumors the guys murdered someone in a different neighborhood recently.

I've heard comparisons to the Soviet Union having missles in Cuba, and I sort of understand the comparison. The US of course wouldn't want someone having missle or radar systems near by.

Then you also have China replying with we will point a "thousand missles" at you for setting up that radar system, is a bit ridiculous as well. It is a defensive radar system against a country who is a known agitator and as pointed out before the missles fired from THAAD are not armed. They are worthless for anything other then hitting incoming missles and rockets.

China has simply played both sides for too long and both North and South Korea know it, and it's obvious both countries are starting to get angry at China. I think China liked the idea of a buffer of sorts between them and the US/West, and North Korea has been that buffer for some time, but in recent years the North has gone completely erratic and it's obvious China has no control over them. I think China is worried about losing face by switching sides, but protecting North Korea is a losing game and it's best of China does it soon. The North has already started making veiled threats against China, calling them a puppet of the US for example.

I think the South and US are trying to force China into action, and hopefully that doesn't backfire, but anyone with half a brain can see China isn't going to stand up for North Korea forever.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Now that's a really stupid analogy. The neighbor is installing a camera in their bedroom, not your bedroom.

The second part is even more stupid. America is not a threat to Canada or Mexico, but China is a huge threat to Korea's security.
Why can't you get it.? The radar can monitor missile systems in CHINA. They watch what China is doing, too. In fact some Chinese experts say the main purpose of THAAD is to monitor China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World