Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 10:01 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Every country has a lot of culture if you dig deep enough, only the most brainwashed dumbasses from big/old countries would dismiss smaller and younger countries, and
These countries all have a huge population.
But they have tons of culture and history even tho their population is a bit larger. Peru and Thailand have amazing architectural marvels, and both have cuisines that are some of the best in the world. Both are very diverse countries too, featuring rainforest, coastal, and mountain cultures. Peru in particular is home to most of the greatest Indoamerican cultures in history, obviously the Inca, but also the Moche and the Chimu as well as lots of indigenous groups in the rainforest part
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 08:37 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
For a country *having* a lot of culture in spite of a small population, I'd say Austria for the classic culture that most people regard as high(er) culture.

For contemporary worldwide cultural influence, relative to population size, even though they're not a "country" I'd have to say African-Americans.

They've had a tremendous influence in music, dance, fashion and more...

Old 03-28-2017, 08:51 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
For a country *having* a lot of culture in spite of a small population, I'd say Austria for the classic culture that most people regard as high(er) culture.

Very small indeed.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:52 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariete View Post

very small indeed.
lol!

Old 03-29-2017, 12:37 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,472,415 times
Quote:
Every country has a lot of culture if you dig deep enough, only the most brainwashed dumbasses from big/old countries would dismiss smaller and younger countries, and

These countries all have a huge population.
Ireland's population is tiny.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:07 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,015,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

Very small indeed.
Just wondering, why did the Austria-Hungarian Empire split and what was the cause of their territorial loss? WWI & WWII or something else??

Was Austria-Hungary a first-world nation back then? I've heard they had built a metro subway infrastructure around late 19th century, which is currently one of the oldest metros in the world.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:32 AM

8,866 posts, read 8,448,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Ireland's population is tiny.
And when did I mention the word "Ireland"??

Old 03-29-2017, 04:35 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,345,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Just wondering, why did the Austria-Hungarian Empire split and what was the cause of their territorial loss? WWI & WWII or something else??

Was Austria-Hungary a first-world nation back then? I've heard they had built a metro subway infrastructure around late 19th century, which is currently one of the oldest metros in the world.
Reasons for the split were WW1, which we lost, and the rise of nationalism in certain crown lands that used to get ignored or oppressed by Vienna and Budapest. That said, both WW1 and the rise of nationalism was caused by Franz Joseph I's way of ruling the country. He simply didn't want to die when the country needed a more modern monarch (be it crown prince Rudolf or Karl I).

I guess it doesn't make sense to assess whether Austria-Hungary was a first world country back then. The term and the technology as we know it today didn't exist back then. There was a lot of inequality amongst the different crown lands and regions. Large cities and important regions like Vienna, Budapest or Prague were on par with other world cities, but Dalmatia or Galicia were lagging behind big times.

While new things were embraced quickly in important business hubs, rural areas often got ignored. The reason for that were mostly political (wars, civil wars, intra-party conflicts, ...).

Old 03-29-2017, 04:43 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,472,415 times
Quote:
And when did I mention the word "Ireland"??
Whoops! Sorry I see you cut it out of the list. My apologies.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:01 AM

61 posts, read 54,250 times
THE AMERICAS
Colombia (Embodies the whole Caribbean and Latin stereotype deal as far as music, way of life, diversity, color.)

Peru (It is home to the ancient Incan Civilization, Machu Picchu anyone?)

Cuba (Che, Fidel, latin Music, cigars)

AFRICA
South Africa

Morocco

MIDDLE EAST
Israel

Lebanon

ASIA
South and North Korea as one

Vietnam

EUROPE
Spain

Greece

Hungary

Switzerland

Netherlands
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World