Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 06:31 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Yeah, I thought the same thing like "san Fran?" Cascadia? I've been to Seattle before and didnt think the Cascade region extended as far south as San Fran, which IMO is borderline central Cal.
I guess in a geopolitical sense it could be the southernmost part of that region along with Oakland and Berkeley as they have more in common with Seattle than they do with Los Angeles. Overall though, that's sort of it's own region with a sphere of influence between Sacramento, Fresno and Reno.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
In America, "progressive" essentially means the following:

- Full acceptance of LGBT rights

- Abortion being a right

- Ensuring minorities and immigrants are treated fairly

- Legalized marijuana

- Interracial relationships being regarding as human beings like any other

- Freedom of religion and freedom from religion.

- Higher taxation, especially on the rich

- More government regulation on businesses

- Universal healthcare, established by the government

- Greater use of public transportation

- Greater environmental awareness, less pollution, more recycling, etc.

- Less need to wage war and maintain a war machine

- Less nationalistic feeling in general

So, I think these are closer to the ideals of many European countries as well.
Fixed

Old 04-10-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Cascadia includes large swaths of "the rest of" Washington, Oregon, and California, which aren't hardly at all the sort of progressive wonderland that people associate with the region due to Seattle, Portland, SF, etc. For example, Washington State has some of the most lax gun laws in the US. I bought a Romanian AK74 with a 75-round drum for $195 at a gun shop in 2008 on a whim. I would see pro-bible/anti-evolution billboards along the freeways in Southern Oregon and Eastern WA when I drove through. Many communities revolve around one or two church congregations and whatever industry keeps the town alive instead of their (nonexistent) institutions of higher learning and sense of culture and togetherness.

These areas are more right-wing libertarian than they are left-wing liberal, and many of them are already less-than-happy with the fact that the urban centers tend to drive the policy for the rest of the state; they would likely be incensed at the idea of being included in a super-liberal megastate/nation and wouldn't cooperate with any moves to institute socialized medicine, free higher education, sanctuary/amnesty for undocumented immigrants, etc.
Washington is a place with gun loving liberals. Seattle has a more lax attitude about guns being brought into businesses than many places in Texas do.

While it's true there large areas that are not liberal in this region, that large area has relatively few people so the region is liberal overall.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:08 AM

27,571 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Fixed
I think we basically agree with some difference of emphasis.

It still stands that a place that is 95% white and church-going Christian, where most people serve in the U.S. military and U.S. flags are displayed outside most of the houses, would be not be considered progressive in America. And it certainly would not be described as progressive by people who identify themselves as progressive.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:21 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:

It still stands that a place that is 95% white and church-going Christian, where most people serve in the U.S. military and U.S. flags are displayed outside most of the houses, would be not be considered progressive in America. And it certainly would not be described as progressive by people who identify themselves as progressive.

Denmark loves their flag-waving and 70% of the men serve their conscription in the Finnish military. Again, one have to think what is progressive and what is not.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:

Good points. The decision maker here would be the rural areas. Which area has the more conservative rural areas? I think we can agree that Cascadia wins this which, when taken as a whole would make Northern Europe a more progressive place overall. As far as cities go, again, I think northern Europe takes the lead just because of the societies they belong to. San Francisco, again if we consider this southernmost Cascadia, is the only city that can really compete with those in Europe as it provides free health care to it's residents as well as free community college.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:55 AM

984 posts, read 1,315,210 times
Just speaking about the US portion, Europe is considerably more liberal and progressive.

The US Pacific NW is a liberal area but is often as being more liberal than it is due to being compared to the rest of the US. The US is still a conservative and very religious country so relatively speaking the NW is a liberal bastion but when compared to other countries like in Northern Europe, it's not.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:32 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,434,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
This is tough, but I'd vote for "Northern Europe"...close though. Some things that I'd see as drawbacks for "Cascadia" would be the poverty rates, and the crime/violence rates. I mean, can you imagine a neighbourhood like the Tenderloin existing in Oslo? Oh well, part of SF's charm for some folks, I suppose.
See the problem here is that you assume that progressive = prosperity/ little to no poverty which isn't true

Old 04-14-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
See the problem here is that you assume that progressive = prosperity/ little to no poverty which isn't true
I agree. There's poverty in progressive areas and in areas that are not at all progressive. It isn't a measure of progressiveness at all.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:11 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Good points. The decision maker here would be the rural areas. Which area has the more conservative rural areas? I think we can agree that Cascadia wins this which, when taken as a whole would make Northern Europe a more progressive place overall. As far as cities go, again, I think northern Europe takes the lead just because of the societies they belong to. San Francisco, again if we consider this southernmost Cascadia, is the only city that can really compete with those in Europe as it provides free health care to it's residents as well as free community college.
Well, on the US side that is, Cascadia is a term that is considered to include British Columbia, so obviously all of British Columbia has universal healthcare and heavily subsidized university tuition rates.

The US, on the other hand, has the food stamps program, which has no equivalent in Canada or Europe.

Last edited by BIMBAM; 04-14-2017 at 10:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World