Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 04:57 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,293,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
I was surprised to read on Wikipedia, that the most popular (largest-audience) French film of all time, is "Bienvenue Chez les Ch'tis" about a businessman whose family is relocated/ re-assigned to the far North region and they cannot understand the local speech accent.

If this film is so extremely popular, then why is it totally unknown in USA, and it is not available (on Amazon.com) with English sub-titles?
because of american cultural protectionism ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 04:59 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,293,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The jibes about Newfoundlanders are generally good-natured, even if Newfoundlanders can rightfully feel insulted by some of them.

I'd say in the case of Canada the obvious one is Quebec. Quebec is seen as corrupt, a bit lawless, lazy and untrustworthy. It's also seen as borderline racist for its cultural protectionism and for not being enthusiastic *enough* for the 21st century Canadian vision of a country that's a "clean slate", "the world in one country", multicultural heaven, blablabla...

Contrary to the Newfoundland example, the Quebec jibes are rarely good-natured and just teasing. Not all Canadians do this vis-à-vis Quebec (most in fact, do not), but for those that do, it's almost never in a joking way.
When I was in Toronto, basically everyone talked about Montreal like it was a 24/7 party place where free love was the norm.

Basically every Québecer I met talked about Toronto like a rigid place where work was the only rule and fun was prohibited.

Of course both extreme exagerations.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:02 AM

1,772 posts, read 1,504,913 times
Eastern Germany (particularly Saxony): stereotypically either Nazis or Communists, backwards people.

Bavaria: They are seen as hillbillies with a superiority complex.

Berlin: They waste the money earned by the rest of the country and can't get things done. Berliners seem to look down on other Germans as small-minded villagers who want to move to Berlin just to be hip.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:35 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,992,958 times
From a Manila resident's POV, this is what I tend to observe from people around me!

- The ARMM (the Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao) - a lot of people tend to have a prejudice against them with plenty of unflattering stereotypes (similar to the BS a lot of Westerners have)

- Visayas - many of the elites see them as personal servants who are "beneath" them...

These are the ones I remember from the top of my head! I bet there are more!

There is a reason why the concept of "Imperial Manila" exists, and why many people in other provinces tend to HATE Manila and its residents, even though many of them do migrate there for work (a sign that the country is overly centralized around Metro Manila)!

Old 06-01-2017, 07:48 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
For Australia, it's Brisbane. People think of it as a "redneck" city.

In Sydney, it's Kings Cross (a red-light district locality) for its street violence, drug abusers, prostitution, etc.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:01 AM

321 posts, read 400,267 times
Most northern Italian people think that southern people are parasites living off of northerners' handouts.
Not only that, they think they are lazy, ignorant, swindlers and more often than not members of the mafia.

On top of that , it is Naples and its Neapolitan people that get most of the hate from the rest of the country. For instance, it is common by football fans to chant songs describing all Neapolitans as smelly cholera-afflicted people which deserve to be "washed" by the lava of Vesuvius, the volcano next to Naples. All of this happens during football matches.

Now, while it is true that the South of Italy gets most of the subsidies by the Italian government, I find all those hateful speeches and chants shameful.
The sad truth is that southern Italians are not members of a protected victim class like refugees or coloured people are, so that everyone in Italy is free to verbally abuse them.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:18 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,331,625 times
Northern Sweden.
But us northerners look down on the southerners.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:02 AM

399 posts, read 820,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
Northeast in Brazil is generally looked down by people from other parts, especially from São Paulo southwards.
I have a Brazilian friend and he said to me Northeastern people are weird, they have square faces and other odd stuffs I've never heard. I was surprised, it was weird negative comments.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:37 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,051,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Paris is generally loathed (and for good reasons) in the French provinces.
Yes. My own experiences have been that the people of Southern France were hospitable, friendly, helpful and just plain fun to be around. In Paris, not so much.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:58 AM

412 posts, read 509,903 times
I know that in Sweden they dislike Scania, and Scanians dislike other Swedes.

Last edited by JayVanderbilt; 06-02-2017 at 08:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World