Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 01:50 AM

146 posts, read 174,987 times

Advertisements

I was wondering whether people who live in the US can watch CNN International as opposed to CNN Local (US).

I think there's a substantial difference. An American told me that US version is more 'dumbed down'. Though they do recycle newscasters on the same stations, one difference is that the 'daily' shows live CNN Newsroom are done by Max Foster, Rosemary Church, Richard Quest etc.. whereas the US versions focus on US news with mostly US broadcasters.

And do any Americans watch other foreign TV stations? I suppose the issue for some may not be interest but rather availability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 02:46 AM

61,745 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Sure...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNN_International
And yes, international news like BBC are available to watch, although local tv news are mostly about US. Dumbed down? Yes - it's called infotainment and it sells. With most of the public getting its news from television already and newspaper readership declining, the danger of creating a public that knows and cares little about public life is very real.

However, people interested to get real news from around the world, can find all possible sources on the Internet.

Last edited by elnina; 08-17-2017 at 03:00 AM..

Old 08-17-2017, 04:04 AM

9,370 posts, read 14,322,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Sure...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNN_International
And yes, international news like BBC are available to watch, although local tv news are mostly about US. Dumbed down? Yes - it's called infotainment and it sells. With most of the public getting its news from television already and newspaper readership declining, the danger of creating a public that knows and cares little about public life is very real.

However, people interested to get real news from around the world, can find all possible sources on the Internet.
I mostly agree, but the Internet is just as full of junk.

For example, I can personalize my news feed on Google News, yet I cannot eliminate what Google thinks "headline news" should be, and even the specialized categories that I set up are so full of junk that I quickly scroll through at least 90%, sometimes all of it.

In short, infotainment, including the internet, is about 90% junk entertainment and 10% information, new or old, that is really useful.

And it stands to reason: the purpose of infotainment is to sell advertising and propaganda, for products and otherwise.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:51 AM

12,392 posts, read 8,161,837 times
Those with just a basic cable TV package will probably have access to early morning 30 minute blocks of Al Jazerra, BBC or ITV, NHK out of Japan and maybe a couple of other foreign networks on their local public broadcasting stations. If they buy a foreign language package from the ancestral homeland some of those networks will have their local news broadcast

Old 08-18-2017, 07:44 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
CNN International may be available from cable companies in the U.S., but my guess is that 99% of subscribers just get the basic domestic CNN network.

Note that here in Canada we don't get CNN International. It's the U.S. domestic CNN that is offered here.

(Well, now that I think of it I will check with my cable operator for fun to see if CNN International is even available as an option.)

Old 08-18-2017, 07:50 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
So just checked cable lineups.

CNN International is not available on Vidéotron (biggest cable provider in Québec) or on Rogers (biggest cable provider in Ontario).

Rogers also offers CNN Headline News, but Vidéotron does not.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:03 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,052,385 times
We get CNN, CNN International, Fox, MSNBC, OAN, News Max, Fox Business, CNBC, Bloomberg and BBC World on our FIOS lineup.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:46 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
Yes its on late on night, nothing international about it however, still highly U.S centric.

I don't really watch T.V but i know people who love to watch British show, i watch some Canadian shows on netflix and all those border crossing shows that are set in Canada, Australia and the U.K.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:05 PM

61,745 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I mostly agree, but the Internet is just as full of junk.

For example, I can personalize my news feed on Google News, yet I cannot eliminate what Google thinks "headline news" should be, and even the specialized categories that I set up are so full of junk that I quickly scroll through at least 90%, sometimes all of it.

When I said to get news from Internet, I didn't meant to get them from Google News
You can find sources that fit your needs and beliefs.

Old 08-19-2017, 04:20 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,294,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by croftylot24 View Post
I was wondering whether people who live in the US can watch CNN International as opposed to CNN Local (US).

I think there's a substantial difference. An American told me that US version is more 'dumbed down'. Though they do recycle newscasters on the same stations, one difference is that the 'daily' shows live CNN Newsroom are done by Max Foster, Rosemary Church, Richard Quest etc.. whereas the US versions focus on US news with mostly US broadcasters.

And do any Americans watch other foreign TV stations? I suppose the issue for some may not be interest but rather availability.
we get CNN international but get to see wolf blitzer and anderson cooper and maybe a few other cnn usa shows , CNN international is the most beige , sterile , charecheterless new channel on the box , it has no political persuasion because that would demand having humans doing the presenting instead of robots , its style is also designed to be multinational , all the presenters have a ( impossible to say where there from ) similar non descripti modus operandi

its unwatchable for the most part
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World