Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 03:39 PM

8 posts, read 6,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
They don't, except for maybe NZ. Look at the table you just posted yourself. Even after taking into account the different price levels / adjusting for PPP there is still a difference of several thousands of Dollars.

Anyways, regardless of this nitpicking, Italy and Spain are definitely high-income countries and don't need to be mentioned in a thread like this.
Well, Italy is a bit lower, in the 35k$ threshold but Spain is in the 37k$ treshold, while France is in the 42k$ one. All of those countries (France, UK and Sweden) are in the 41-42k$ treshold, while Japan and New Zealand are in the 39k$ treshold, I forgot to add Japan. So Spain and Italy have almost akin purchasing power as Japan or NZ, definetly top countries. Well, 4.000-5.000$ per year can be a big difference from a country to another in the case of countries with PPP under 20.000$ and a very big difference for countries with PPP under 15.000$, like 10.000 to 15.000 now that's a huge difference.

But above 25.000 and specially above 35.000 I don't see it very big, anyways of course above 45.000 the difference is even lower. Anyways what I meant is exactly that, it's senseless to mention Spain or Italy here, actually rich countries with high wages and both are heavily developed, as well as their quality of life is amongst the biggest. Ok I guess the wages are not that great as in nordic countries, but there aren't light years except for Norway, Iceland, Luxembourg or Switzerland, which at the same time have huge differences also with practically any other European country.

Anyways I would say Mexico or South Africa, but both need to be much safer than they are. So I'll go for Namibia, Suriname, Sri Lanka... exotic countries, pretty safe, nice lifestyle and nice climates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 05:26 PM

881 posts, read 923,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Agreed. I think Chile, Uruguay, Argentina, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Peru, Panama, parts of Brazil, parts of Colombia, DR, they could all qualify. Not a lot of violent crime, awesome culture, good weather, so the wages are the missing part of the equation
Many parts of all of these countries have awful crime. Peru had the highest crime victimization rate in the Americas in 2014 according to LatinobarĂ³metro.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:53 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
Many parts of all of these countries have awful crime. Peru had the highest crime victimization rate in the Americas in 2014 according to LatinobarĂ³metro.
Most of Peruvian crime is getting pickpocketed or something stolen when you're not looking. In that measure Peru is indeed terrible, you can't leave your eye off your things. But it's not like Mexico where you will have decapitated heads showing up all over the place, you don't have to worry about violent crime in most of the areas

Old 10-13-2017, 08:00 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,522,955 times
Not sure if the OP means where would be good to live as a local if the salaries were higher, or as an expat?

Old 10-17-2017, 10:04 AM

536 posts, read 639,606 times
Definitely Bulgaria and Romania

Old 10-18-2017, 04:14 AM

118 posts, read 141,416 times
Poland. Although the locals seem to be doing ok with what they make. I was in Krakow last month and stopped by a tap house, pints of craft beer for $1.50. Food in the grocery store is also really cheap which lines up with the salaries there.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:57 PM

536 posts, read 639,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piffler View Post
Poland. Although the locals seem to be doing ok with what they make. I was in Krakow last month and stopped by a tap house, pints of craft beer for $1.50. Food in the grocery store is also really cheap which lines up with the salaries there.
Important point: wages aren't the only side of the equation. The other side is cost of living.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:05 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,275,727 times
USA

Old 10-22-2017, 07:21 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Not sure if the OP means where would be good to live as a local if the salaries were higher, or as an expat?
Assuming that you had to work in these countries and make a living. If you're an expat you would be better off in the countries that are as cheap as possible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World