Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 12:05 PM

51 posts, read 199,265 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Do you think it is true that a city(like New York) with a higher cost of living pays higher wages to compensate. Or is that just a myth.

(I realize this is a very general question but I still wanted to ask it and get some general ideas on the topic.)

I am wanting to move to New York and change careers but I am not sure at this point what I want to do. Maybe a trade school or go back to school. So for a while, I may have to rely on customer service jobs or even restaurant work to support me and my 2 kids. Do those jobs basically pay minimum wage or a little better?

Also, any suggestions on careers, industries that are in demand? I know with the economy, things are not great anywhere but I still need to try.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 01:48 PM

346 posts, read 1,256,622 times
Myth mostly. The wages are indeed higher than other places, but the cost of living diminishes this, in fact, if you factor in the cost of living New Yorkers are compensated less than most other major cities in the country. The fact that cops and firefighters are pretty much living poor is signal to the course this city is going to take if the cost of living doesn't drop.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:02 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,881 times
If you have a high-end job, like banking, media, or Big Law, the salaries are much higher than elsewhere. It's not true of every job however. I think the elite of almost any non-union profession makes more, but you're talking about the best people in a given field. I know waiters who clear six-figures. Top-flight legal secretaries make more than an attorney would in a small town.

New York is kind of like the old quip about Broadway: You can't make a living, but you can make a killing.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:43 PM

988 posts, read 3,254,266 times
Social Services jobs pay pretty much the same as other cities from what i've seen. Factor that with the cost of living then anyone in that profession will have a hard time surviving here.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:00 PM

51 posts, read 199,265 times
So of course I have the age old question, how does anyone pay their bills living in a big city like NY, LA, or even Chicago. ...???

Old 08-08-2009, 07:28 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowYouChicago View Post
So of course I have the age old question, how does anyone pay their bills living in a big city like NY, LA, or even Chicago. ...???
Chicago is far cheaper than New York. It's ultimately all about housing costs. Everything else is fungible.

In Chicago you can get a nice one bedroom in a good location for around $1,000. You can't do that in New York. You can find something in the Bronx, but not in a cool neighborhood in Manhattan or Brooklyn.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:35 PM

487 posts, read 1,363,798 times
Quote:
the answer is very simple, you don't

most people making menial wages don't live in Manhattan, they live in Jersey or the surrounding boroughs

Old 08-08-2009, 07:38 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Do you think it is true that a city(like New York) with a higher cost of living pays higher wages to compensate. Or is that just a myth.

(I realize this is a very general question but I still wanted to ask it and get some general ideas on the topic.)

I am wanting to move to New York and change careers but I am not sure at this point what I want to do. Maybe a trade school or go back to school. So for a while, I may have to rely on customer service jobs or even restaurant work to support me and my 2 kids. Do those jobs basically pay minimum wage or a little better?

Also, any suggestions on careers, industries that are in demand? I know with the economy, things are not great anywhere but I still need to try.

Thank you
It's a myth to an extent. Some fields pay extremely well here and generally people on the high end of the career ladder have very nice salaries so people seem to get caught up in that, but many fields actually pay just okay or even underpay. Generally the job market here is an employers dream. They get to pick from a very large pool so they can almost always pay less and give less benefits.

As for suggestions, right now the best fields are the traditionally stable ones, i.e. healthcare, accounting, things like that.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:39 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhboy View Post
Myth mostly. The wages are indeed higher than other places, but the cost of living diminishes this, in fact, if you factor in the cost of living New Yorkers are compensated less than most other major cities in the country. The fact that cops and firefighters are pretty much living poor is signal to the course this city is going to take if the cost of living doesn't drop.
After their last raise cops do pretty well now. Not saying they are "balling" but they are paid adequately now IMO.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 08-08-2009 at 07:58 PM..

Old 08-08-2009, 08:52 PM

922 posts, read 3,860,563 times
Quote:
I agree that a lot of mid-senior and senior management positions pay well here, (+$100K), but the semi- and low-skill jobs do not. Also, professional services people like lawyers and accountants do well because of the very high hourly fees they can command. And of course, Wall Streeters, though fewer in number and generally reviled, get paid handsomely - and that's not just the bigwigs. Everyone earns bonuses. Civil servants with several years of seniority earn a decent salary too.

As for the question of how "normal" people pay their bills, keep in mind that many native NYers and others who have lived here many years have much lower housing costs due to either a rent controlled apartment or by buying their residence many years ago when costs were dramatically lower. A person making $50K per year can live well if he bought his co-op apartment years ago for $50K or got into a rent-controlled apartment and is only paying $500/mo in rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City