Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 10:34 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,333,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
Surprised Mexico City and Buenos Aires aren't on that list. Both deserved a spot.
I'm glad they acknowledged the Russian cities, but you're right. Why there is CDMX, Lima, or Buenos Aires?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 05:44 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,300,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I'm glad they acknowledged the Russian cities, but you're right. Why there is CDMX, Lima, or Buenos Aires?
They needed to make space for heavyweights like Providence, Salt Lake City, Edmonton and Bristol.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:50 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,403,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Dubai really is overrated. It seems like a horrible place to visit if you're not a millionaire. I wouldn't say that anywhere on the Arabian peninsula should be on a list like this
I agree. How can you rate a city great is you can get arrested for going into a bar or brushing up against the member of the opposite sex in a crowded disco.,

Old 11-21-2017, 12:29 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,630,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
These garbage lists should all be burned.

There are a few eye-raisers, but overall, the list of cities seems pretty supportable.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:35 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,763,680 times
Rio de Janeiro higher than Shanghai?... only if we talk about climate here.
In terms of economy, safety, science and technology, arts, history...Shanghai wins without a doubt. Shanghai weather is truly bad.

Old 11-23-2017, 12:16 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,533,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Moscow shouldn't be in the Top 50, even. Lots of other frauds- St. Petersburg, Dubai, San Jose (not even a city, really), Vegas (also not really a city).

NYC should probably be #1, DC should probably be in Top 10 or 15. Singapore is a generic city with nothing of interest besides food and should be like #30-#40 or so.
Moscow is easily top 10. I'm surprised it's as high as it is but if it wasn't in big bad Russia, with all the political baggage that comes along with it, it would be consistently considered one of the top cities in the world. St. Petersburg is an amazing city as well. Washington and Brussels should both be top 20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Wow, I just learned that a city with the largest historic center, some of the greatest art museums and cultural institutions, one of the most beautiful metro systems, and one of the most magnificent settings of any city in the world is actually a "fraud". I feel so enlightened.
Like I mentioned earlier, Moscow is a great city. I think it has improved dramatically over the past few years but still has a bad reputation.

Overall this list is ridiculous though. Istanbul, Brussels, Vienna, Seoul, and Bangkok should all be much higher. Orlando higher than any of those? Are you kidding?

Old 11-23-2017, 12:27 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,533,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
That list is very skewed to the northern hemisphere. It seems to rank the large centres of the most populated countries highly.
It is very different to the lists of most liveable cities which come out annually.
It's amazing that Africa doesn't have a single city on the list. No Johannesburg, Capetown, or Cairo?

Old 11-23-2017, 03:26 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,763,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
It's amazing that Africa doesn't have a single city on the list. No Johannesburg, Capetown, or Cairo?
I have been to Cairo. It is a typical third-world looking city with chaos. For example, literally all the cars I saw there had some noticeable dents, rusts, if not big issues. The vendors tried their best to persuade you, sometimes very aggressively. The hotels openly charged foreigners much more than locals, and I was told it is their national policy.

However it is still an interesting place to visit. I do not really mind the third-world looking. It may add some exotic fun to your visit.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:41 AM

400 posts, read 422,751 times
Ottawa better than Lisbon and Pittsburgh?? Whatttt ? DD
Ottawa: The city with the pulse of a slowing dying fish.

I wish some hobbyist statistician with too much time on his hands would come up with some way of ranking for liveability most of major and intermediate cities of the world. A lot of these lists coming out seem to produce kind of wonky results and therefore aren't really reliable.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:03 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,333,827 times
When ranking the cities, they need to take into account the Purchasing Power Parity. Some of the American cities seem amazing looking at the GDP, but when you take into account the cost of living, you will see that the quality of life comes down to earth a little bit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World