Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 06:44 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,526,633 times

Advertisements

The only country where I travelled knowing anything about the language was the Netherlands. Indeed, I could speak English there all the time, with no problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 08:50 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,961,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Serious? What kind of question is this? I seriously doubt most international travelers know the language of the places they travel to. They all may share a common, non-native language, like English, but I doubt that a lot of Germans are going to be fluent in say Russian for a trip to Moscow, then turn around next year and be fluent in Turkish, oh yea, fluent in the language of every border country they may travel to.

Being I have traveled to well over 50 countries, not even close to knowing the language of the countries I have visited.
I agree with this completely, but I took it to mean what kind of problems and situations do you have when you don't know the language at all. In most places nowadays many people speak some English--especially in hotels, airports, etc

The place I found most difficult for me was South Korea. Everyone at my modern hotel spoke excellent English, but outside the hotel very little English. But still with some effort you can get by. Many restaurants had pictures of the dishes you order and you could point at one and take a chance! The most frustrating was that my hotel was attached to a very large upscale department store with one of the largest food sections you would ever encounter and everything labeled in Korean. So many things looked wonderful, but it was difficult to know what was what.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:21 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Have you ever visited a place without being able to communicate with the locals because you didn’t know their language?
you sort of have to, unless you don't really "travel" (like Americans travel to English Canada).

Old 12-09-2017, 09:33 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,185,741 times
Really, OP? Aside from English, Swedish or Danish, I don't understand any other languages. A few words in German, French or Spanish doesn't count, imo.

Old 12-09-2017, 03:32 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 6 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,917,464 times
Quite often recently, and less occasional around one decade ago. Thrilling risks to take with world class traveling. Why not? Having ample laughs along the way. From my own experience, easy enough to get around smoothly without any severe or harsh interruptions. Usually when there is a sole representative not knowing your own native language, there are other nearby surrounding individuals to further support you. Remarkable that absolutely everyone I have encountered in Austria, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Sweden, Qatar are able to speak, listen, or comprehend without any flaws the English foreigner language. Is there really a forced imperative to learn? On the contrary, vastly not even close with feeling too widespread around Spain, France, Romania, Bulgaria, Morocco. For my own exact lens of observation, I am having equal alliance to people that are versatile or fully encompassing allegiance to another group of varying languages outside of my own.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:02 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Yes, many. Will never return to Turkey after a very harrowing night. Once was enough. The other countries, I'd return to readily.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:41 PM

510 posts, read 609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
you sort of have to, unless you don't really "travel" (like Americans travel to English Canada).
When I lived in France I had a neighbor who only traveled to French speaking countries because she was afraid of not being able to communicate with the locals. She had been to 16 different countries.

There are 81 countries and territories where English is an official or de facto official language, 20 where Spanish is, 37 where French is, 10 where Portuguese is, ... Of course not all the residents of these places are fluent in all their official languages, but for native speakers of some of the more widespread languages there are a lot of places you can travel to and converse natively with the locals.

Old 12-13-2017, 04:49 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,242,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Have you ever visited a place without being able to communicate with the locals because you didn’t know their language?
Many many times...google translate is your friend.

Old 12-13-2017, 01:03 PM

43,648 posts, read 44,375,612 times
I have not only visited countries that I didn't know the local language, I have also lived in more than one country where I didn't speak the language.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:01 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 6 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,917,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Yes, many. Will never return to Turkey after a very harrowing night. Once was enough. The other countries, I'd return to readily.
Sounds very obscure to occur. What is the main source cause beginning point of apprehension? Tell us. Other countries you have went into?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World