Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 09:54 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times

Advertisements

Has anybody ever packed up and moved somewhere without knowing anybody? If you have, how long did it take to get a social life going and how long did it take to feel settled?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 09:57 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times
Moved to Atlanta two months ago from NY and I am always meeting new people from work but I don't really go out that often with them.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:12 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,190,713 times
Yes. Am married and have a child and still have very little social life. I have NO TIME for that however, so don't let this story ruin your dream -- go for it!

P.S. I have moved half a dozen times as a child to different schools and was able to make close friends anywhere I went (and I'm the kind of person who can't have arms-length buddies).

Old 10-20-2012, 07:11 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,116,791 times
I did. Years ago I moved from Virginia to Philadelphia. I didn't know anybody. I didn't have a job. The first few months I rented a room in the burbs - pre-arranged with a friend of a friend. After that I moved into the city. Met people and made friends pretty quickly. I used a temp agency to get a job initially and got hired permanently at my first placement.

Looking back, it was the best decision I ever made. If I had done it the "right" way and tried to find a job first it would have been too much trouble traveling back and forth hundreds of miles interviewing and I'd be stuck in Virginia to this day.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:18 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Number one rule is not to tell everybody how wonderful it was back home and how horrible it is here. The new kid on the block will always be of interest to people that don't like the people they are around. Be kind but cool to the first people that welcome you. Your real friends will be those that are harder to get to know. Best way to get to know people is to be friendly to those around you and do the things that you like so the people you meet will have same interests as you.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:36 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
I moved from Massachusetts to Santa Fe and eventually Albuquerque, NM with my partner with no job and didn't know anyone in the state. I was in Santa Fe for three months, got a job within the first month and then in the second month found a better job in Albuquerque. I've been in NM for 6 months and at this point I have aquaintences from work and a few in my apartment community that are starting to develop into friendships. In past moves I'd say it took me up to two years to feel that I had a solid group of friendships. I'd have to admit without the companionship of my partner I probably would have found the move a lot more difficult, but everyone is different.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:06 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Yes, many times. Not a problem. I don't consider social life to be an emergency that has to be turned on immediately like the phone and cable.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:23 AM

211 posts, read 370,307 times
Yes I moved from Michigan to Oklahoma city 2 years ago because of the job market found a job in 3 weeks. But I still don't have any friends here partly because I am pretty reserved. But as long as I got cable I'm fine.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:26 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Oh yeah, 8 times in the last 5 years I've done that, no big deal, you learn to adapt.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:37 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times
Yup.

Seven years ago, I literally packed up the farm (kids and animals) and relocated to an area I was totally unfamiliar with and where I knew NOBODY.

It is also very rural, so there isn't much in the way of neighbors.

But since I am pretty much a hermit anyway, it hasn't been a problem for me. I "socialize" by going to the feed store.

It probably all depends on the personality of the person doing the moving. For some, leaving a place they are familiar with for the unknown might be pretty scary. In my case, I had grown to hate where I lived. At one time, it was the fastest growing county in my state, and for someone who does not like living with a lot of people around, it was no longer a good fit. That, and because of some things that had happened in my life, I was ready to start over.

It's all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.