Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 01:45 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,500,936 times

Advertisements

What are your favorite monorail systems in the world?

Monorail's tend to be overshadowed by light rail as the latter offer a much more cost effective model of transportation while being able to carry a larger number of people. They are also a lot more scalable as they can integrate with other rail systems something that monorails sadly can't due to the type of track they run on.

I'm more interested in city wide systems rather than ones running in theme parks, but anything goes.

Mine are:

Kuala Lumpur
Seattle (though it's too short with only 2 stops)
Singapore (they had another one running through Sentosa island, but that one closed)
Sydney's one shut down in 2013
Las Vegas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 02:08 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,214,071 times
I think the only one Ive ever seen , and certainly the only one I ever rode, is in Wuppertal.

I just wanted to say Wuppertal.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:12 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 5 days ago)

27,189 posts, read 13,482,880 times
As above.

Wuppertal Suspension Railway in Germany.

Wuppertal Suspension Railway - Wikipedia

Old 01-06-2018, 07:37 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Monorails are overshadowed for the very reasons you gave: extremely expensive with low capacity. For example the 5 km long Moscow Monorail cost a staggering $240 million and has 6 lousy stations with a ridiculously low daily ridership.

After the move from the excursion to working mode of the monorail, the running trains on the monorail should expand four fold, with trains going from 6 to 1 AM in intervals of five minutes carrying 3,500 people an hour... - (For comparison: Moscow trams are designed for about 15-20 thousand people per hour, the "light" metro can take up to 22 thousand an hour, the normal one, up to 80 thousand.)... For now, the monorail isn't raising prices in the area of construction, nor the capitalization of the entire city. Right now it is only eating budget money. It is a tiring toy.

- Elena Komarova, Moscow journalist

Understandably, there are very few monorail systems in the world, as it's practically a waste of money compared to all other options. You can make a tram of gold and it's more cost-effective than the Moscow Monorail.

Therefore my favourite monorail systems are those who were cancelled. Monorails belong in amusement parks, as they are not a feasible way of handling public transport. Sorry.

edit: I just found out that the Moscow Monorail is being dismantled and replace with a tram.

Last edited by Ariete; 01-06-2018 at 08:44 AM..

Old 01-06-2018, 07:48 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,438,068 times
Japan has the most monorails but they look like old pieces of junk, not sleek or modern.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:52 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,438,068 times
I love how Dresden’s monorail began operation in 1901(!?!)

Old 01-06-2018, 09:28 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,230,444 times
Detroit’s people mover baby!

Old 01-06-2018, 10:38 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,278,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Monorails are overshadowed for the very reasons you gave: extremely expensive with low capacity. For example the 5 km long Moscow Monorail cost a staggering $240 million and has 6 lousy stations with a ridiculously low daily ridership.

After the move from the excursion to working mode of the monorail, the running trains on the monorail should expand four fold, with trains going from 6 to 1 AM in intervals of five minutes carrying 3,500 people an hour... - (For comparison: Moscow trams are designed for about 15-20 thousand people per hour, the "light" metro can take up to 22 thousand an hour, the normal one, up to 80 thousand.)... For now, the monorail isn't raising prices in the area of construction, nor the capitalization of the entire city. Right now it is only eating budget money. It is a tiring toy.

Understandably, there are very few monorail systems in the world, as it's practically a waste of money compared to all other options. You can make a tram of gold and it's more cost-effective than the Moscow Monorail.

Therefore my favourite monorail systems are those who were cancelled. Monorails belong in amusement parks, as they are not a feasible way of handling public transport. Sorry.

edit: I just found out that the Moscow Monorail is being dismantled and replace with a tram.
Agree. The Toronto Zoo had a cool monorail but got rid of it years ago.

So, I’ll have to go with Disney World as my fave monorail.

Old 01-06-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Detroit’s people mover baby!
I've not been to Detroit, but from what I can tell it's not a monorail.

Old 01-06-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

I've heard of the troubles the Moscow monorail is going through, but I never knew it was being dismantled. The same thing happened with Sydney's one. It was incredibly unpopular due to it's intrusive nature in the CBD and limited range.

Even in KL, while it is successful enough to maintain, none of the multiple planned expansions have been carried out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World