Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 12:03 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I bet there are places IN NYC that have berries. There are some huge parks within city limits.
NYC parks have all kinds of foods you can forage from berries, to mushrooms, to greens, to roots. There are even classes and tours you can take to identify edibles growing about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 05:10 AM

28 posts, read 13,718 times
Not sure what foraging for berries has to do with late night local convenience stores.

The thread is from what I can see about local 7 Eleven type stores, only bigger versions.

These are not big box grocery stores or supermarkets, they are local shops in cities and towns that you can often walk to in Europe and NYC rather than drive to.

As for Wholefoods, they are a big grocery store or supermarket rather than a convenience store and they do have Wholefoods in London.

The big grocery stores in the UK tend to operate different types of stores, for instance Tesco operates massive big box stores known as hypermarkets in Europe, they are called Tesco Extra, the also operate smaller Tesco Superstores and even smaller Tesco Express and Tesco Metro stores which tend to be more local shops. Sainsbury, M&S and Waitrose also operate similar different store sizes.

Asda a major supermarket chain in the UK also operates big box stores and is owned by Walmart, whilst Boots the largest Pharamacy Chain in the UK is owned by Walgreens. Costco also operate throughout the UK including London where they have just built a big new retail warehouse at Wembley (see link), whilst B&Q in the UK is very similar to Home Depot.

Costco Wembley - Envision

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
When I was growing up in NY, when you wanted a wider selection of cheese, you just went to a cheese shop. Supermarkets had a little bit of everything, but specialty shops had the wide selection.

Cheese at the cheese shop, wine at the wine store, deli goods at delis, etc.
Don't even go there in relation to cheese, as the UK has just about more cheeses than anywhere on the planet and shops such as Paxton & Whitfield (est 1797).

Also London is one of the greenest cities in the world and the suburbs are also very green with the Chilterns close by, as well as Box Hill, Epping Forest etc. The parks in London such as Richmond Deer Park are also vast, and date back to the days when Henry VIII used them for hunting.

Last edited by Dyingllama; 01-28-2018 at 05:47 AM..

Old 01-28-2018, 05:32 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I've been to the Costco in Seoul a few times...unbelievably popular, you wouldn't believe how many people shop there on the weekends.
I do about 50% of my grocery shopping at Costco.

I became an executive member 7 years ago when I saw how much I would save on diapers for my kids.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:36 AM

List of the largest convenience store chains in the world.

List of convenience stores - Wikipedia

Gas Stations (Filling Stations) also usually have late night or 24 hour convenience stores, as do rest stops (service stations).

Last edited by Dyingllama; 01-28-2018 at 07:49 AM..

Old 01-28-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyingllama View Post
Not sure what foraging for berries has to do with late night local convenience stores.

The thread is from what I can see about local 7 Eleven type stores, only bigger versions.
Since you obviously didn't read the thread, here is a tl;dr:

----Discussion of berry prices in "local 7 Eleven type stores, only bigger versions".
--> In Finland you don't even need to buy berries in store as they grow wild.
--> Berries grow wild along with other forageables in New York, as well.

And there you have it.

Quote:
Don't even go there in relation to cheese, as the UK has just about more cheeses than anywhere on the planet and shops such as Paxton & Whitfield (est 1797).
One-up-manship is boring. If Paxton & Whitfield has the world's widest selection of cheeses, kudos to them. I'd like to visit sometime. Meanwhile I'll suffer with a basic American cheesemonger with a paltry selection of a mere thousand of the most common types.

Quote:
Also London is one of the greenest cities in the world and the suburbs are also very green with the Chilterns close by, as well as Box Hill, Epping Forest etc. The parks in London such as Richmond Deer Park are also vast, and date back to the days when Henry VIII used them for hunting.
To paraphrase you, Not sure what [Box Hill, Epping Forest, Richmond Deer Park] has to do with late night local convenience stores.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Since you obviously didn't read the thread, here is a tl;dr:

----Discussion of berry prices in "local 7 Eleven type stores, only bigger versions".
--> In Finland you don't even need to buy berries in store as they grow wild.
--> Berries grow wild along with other forageables in New York, as well.

And there you have it.
The article was about NYC and London, and they may forage for food in Finland but it's not going to help you in NYC or London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict

One-up-manship is boring. If Paxton & Whitfield has the world's widest selection of cheeses, kudos to them. I'd like to visit sometime. Meanwhile I'll suffer with a basic American cheesemonger with a paltry selection of a mere thousand of the most common types.
It's not one-up-manship it's a fact.

I don't know how many different varities of cheese Paxton's sell but Britain has over 700 types of cheese, that's more than France.

Forget France: UK is top cheese producer in the world | Daily Express

Sadly what you often get in parts of the US is American Cheese Product or something you spray out of a can, so I do actually welcone the fact that NYC at least has some good cheesemongers which sell cheeses from across the world. However speciality shops are not convenience stores, the subject of this thread, and nor is berry picking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict
To paraphrase you, Not sure what [Box Hill, Epping Forest, Richmond Deer Park] has to do with late night local convenience stores.
You were going on about the areas around New York where you can pick berries, so I was merely pointing out that you can pick wild berries in other major cities including London, which has a lot of green space and parks.

Last edited by Dyingllama; 01-28-2018 at 01:31 PM..

Old 01-28-2018, 02:10 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
...getting back to the original question. My simple answer is no. Grocery shopping in the US is not better than the rest of the world.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:44 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
...getting back to the original question. My simple answer is no. Grocery shopping in the US is not better than the rest of the world.
We are waiting for it to get better. Just got back from Aldi, which is a long drive but the food is decent and we save a lot of money. Local grocery stores are very expensive around here. Just wishing we could get Lidl. Aldi does have a good selection of international cheeses. Being European owned, I wonder if their beef is hormone free.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:25 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
We are waiting for it to get better. Just got back from Aldi, which is a long drive but the food is decent and we save a lot of money. Local grocery stores are very expensive around here. Just wishing we could get Lidl. Aldi does have a good selection of international cheeses. Being European owned, I wonder if their beef is hormone free.
I didn't say it was worse either.

My point that I made before is that there are SO many variables at play here. Some stores and some parts of the US have BETTER shopping that other places in the world, and some other places in the world have some stores and some parts that are better than the US.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Sadly what you often get in parts of the US is American Cheese Product or something you spray out of a can,
Maybe that is what you get when you are in the US, but what I get in the US most often are Jarlsberg, Cheddar, Brie or Camembert, Havarti with Caraway seeds, Chevre, Gjetost, and Gouda.

I get them in normal American stores, the basic grocery chains that exist in just about every city in the country. If you want spraycheese from a can, have at it, but no one is forcing you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World