Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 09:00 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Does anyone have any first hand experience of the difference between US Grocery Stores and those in other psrts of the world.
I go to the store, get my groceries, pay at the counter and go home.

Seems to me the same in Paris or wherever else I was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 10:00 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
A recent comparison of US (NYC) and UK (London) grocery stores which was published earlier this month.

Grocery shopping in the US versus the UK: Which is better? - Business Insider

We compared grocery shopping at stores in the US and UK - and it was shockingly clear which country does it better | The Independent

Does anyone have any first hand experience of the difference between US Grocery Stores and those in other psrts of the world.
Yes, been all over the world and shopped:

Kuwait (now) - quality food with a lot of spices and very expensive.
Peru - Very cheap but they only carry produce in season and limited variety
USA- More choices than anywhere else I've been. Moderate prices.
UK - Good quality, prices seemed comparable to USA.
Spain - lot s of olives which I love by the way. Very cheap prices and good Spanish ham. Very cheap wine!
Chile - Similar to the USA with good variety and excellent wine and bread
Russia - Poor quality, expensive, grouchy checkout girls, lots of Vodka
Seoul - Excellent quality, tons of workers doing little, very very expensive.
Saudi - Okay and more reasonable in price than Kuwait
China - Cheap and hectic

Old 01-23-2018, 11:10 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Not sure about the laws preventing the buying of wine in a NYC Grocery Store.

The UK has quite a few 24 hour and late night grocery shops in major cities, and many are well stocked, and there are also apps which promise you delivery in the hour.

Etefy - About Us

Groceries On-Demand

Tesco announces Tesco Now, 1-hour delivery service app, as it fights Amazon - Business Insider

Sainsbury's Chop Chop app delivers groceries within one hour | WIRED UK

You can also get takeaways (takeouts) and even alcohol delivered to your door 24/7, so some US Laws regarding alcohol sales seem a bit archaic.

All-Night Alcohol Near Me | Order Online with hungryhouse

24 Hour Takeaway | Takeaway Just A Tap Away | just-eat.co.uk‎

24 Hour Food Delivery | Order Food Delivery Online | hungryhouse.co.uk‎

Deliveroo: Takeaway Delivery from Premium Restaurants near you

Btw the M25 is the London Orbital Motorway (London's equivalent of the Belt Parkway) and there is a population of around 10 million within it, however there are similar delivery services in relation to most major cities.

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-23-2018 at 12:18 PM..

Old 01-23-2018, 12:20 PM

There is an Aldi near my house where I need to insert a quarter (25 cents) to get a shopping cart and then I get a quarter back after I'm done. I guess that's the case with all the Aldis.

I thought that was an interesting variation on the grocery shopping theme.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:25 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
I am going to write an article comparing fine dining between the US and UK.

Representing the US I choose Michelin starred Le Bernardin in NYC, and representing the UK will be a Gregg's in Belfast.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:22 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I am going to write an article comparing fine dining between the US and UK.

Representing the US I choose Michelin starred Le Bernardin in NYC, and representing the UK will be a Gregg's in Belfast.
I would hardly call Tesco up-market, it's just a fairly average supermarket chain that operates local convenience stores, indeed as already pointed out in my previous posts there are more upmarket supermarkets which operate local convenience supermarkets (grocery stores) such as M&S Simple Food, Little Waitrose and Sainsbury's Local etc.

According to the study they looked at two stores where customers would typically do a shopping trip in their neighbourhood.

In London, Tesco Express a smaller local convenience stores was considered to be a typical neighbourhood store. It has five different store formats ranging from city convenience stores to large supermarkets in suburban areas. For this exercise, we visited one of its Express stores, which are under 3,000 square feet in size. There's no direct equivalent to this in New York City, so they picked a smaller chain, Gristedes, which has 30 stores across the city.

http://home.bt.com/images/tesco-book...0404111920.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-_rbd8Sl1o1.../Gristedes.JPG

They could have gone for a more up-market UK convenience store chain such as -

https://cached.imagescaler.hbpl.co.u...416CBE9A96.jpg

https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incomin...oad-London.jpg

https://www.hellomagazine.com/imagen...M-S-food-t.jpg

Last edited by elnina; 01-24-2018 at 02:53 AM.. Reason: Copyrighted

Old 01-24-2018, 02:48 AM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Never shopped in a grocery store outside the USA or even been to a foreign country. My guess is the prices are higher outside the US for the typical stuff we buy here.
No. Prices are cheaper and quality is better...

Old 01-24-2018, 09:07 AM

How popular are warehouse, buy-in-bulk grocery stores like Costco in other countries?

Old 01-24-2018, 09:57 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Compared to Finland, I would gladly take either the UK or US grocery scene. Here two predatory chains, the S-group and the K-group control 84% of the market share combined, and LIDL has 10%. These two giants have an effective duopoly and will cartel up against anyone who dares to enter the market. So far only LIDL has succeeded. For example Carrefour said ages ago that they aren't getting involved in that quagmire. Not to mention that both the S and K groups are deeply involved in politics and individual politicians all around the country. Generally we Finns are proud of being one of the least uncorrupted countries on the planet, but regarding retail a similar situation would be unacceptable in most European countries.

Whole Foods is I think quite popular with the fresh produce customers in the US? The S-group has three times the revenue, though we are a country with the population of Minnesota. Nuts!

This unhealthy duopoly partly resulted in that Finland has the 7th most expensive groceries in Europe, behind Switzerland, Norway, Denmark, Iceland, Sweden and Austria. But then again, why are cigarette prices below the EU average? Because the duopoly cannot make a profit from them.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:56 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,883,377 times
The Carrefour I visited in Dubai is bigger and has more variety of exotic vegetables and fruits than I have seen anywhere in the US. Prices are cheaper too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World