Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 01:39 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times

Advertisements

Possibilities:
1. Cairo
2. Doha
3. Dubai
4. Istanbul
5. Riyadh
6. Other

Discuss your position on which one, based on influence, tourism, etc. is most influential/notable as a world city in this section of the world, and why. Which one serves as the hub for it's region (similarly). My initial thought would be Dubai, but then again, that seems to serve more as an international tourism and business hub for people from outside the region to those in power within it.

Istanbul seems to have the most direct city behind it, and also links the Middle East to Europe. It is going through transition, but certainly still has influence and is seen as a central place.

Cairo is the largest city in the Arabic speaking world, and is known the world over for it's tourist destinations. It is perhaps more traditionally Middle Eastern than the other two mentioned thus far as well.

Doha, I'm not entirely sure about it, other than that it seems to desire (along with Qatar in general), to be a rising challenger to Dubai/UAE as a hub of regional wealth and influence.

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia's global city as it's capital and largest, though extremely secular and traditional. Also seems to in it's own way, serve more as a hub/meeting place. Quite close enough to serve as somewhat of a gateway for those traveling to Mecca and Medina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 01:52 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,432,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Possibilities:
1. Cairo
2. Doha
3. Dubai
4. Istanbul
5. Riyadh
6. Other

Discuss your position on which one, based on influence, tourism, etc. is most influential/notable as a world city in this section of the world, and why. Which one serves as the hub for it's region (similarly). My initial thought would be Dubai, but then again, that seems to serve more as an international tourism and business hub for people from outside the region to those in power within it.

Istanbul seems to have the most direct city behind it, and also links the Middle East to Europe. It is going through transition, but certainly still has influence and is seen as a central place.

Cairo is the largest city in the Arabic speaking world, and is known the world over for it's tourist destinations. It is perhaps more traditionally Middle Eastern than the other two mentioned thus far as well.

Doha, I'm not entirely sure about it, other than that it seems to desire (along with Qatar in general), to be a rising challenger to Dubai/UAE as a hub of regional wealth and influence.

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia's global city as it's capital and largest, though extremely secular and traditional. Also seems to in it's own way, serve more as a hub/meeting place. Quite close enough to serve as somewhat of a gateway for those traveling to Mecca and Medina.
Istanbul is not Arab, it’s Turk.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:20 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,917,363 times
You missed Mecca, wich would be the obvious choice here.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:48 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
As winterfall pointed out, Istanbul is not Arab. A while back I would have said Cairo as it's the most populous city in the most populous state and Egypt has long been considered the cultural heart of the Arab world. Nowadays, I think it could be Riyadh or more precisely Mecca as it's the pillar of Islam and most Arabs are Muslim.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:09 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,992,657 times
The cities that matter in the Arab world!

Mecca - Religious capital as MOST people living in Arab countries are Muslim!

Riyadh - The capital of the country that considers itself the guardian of the Islamic Holy Cities! Helps they got tons of oil!

Dubai - It's the tourist/financial capital of the Middle East, as well as its leading transportation hub (which can be deduced by the sheer lead it has in terms of air passenger travel statistics over all other airports in the Arab world)!

Abu Dhabi - The capital of the country it shares with Dubai; it even bails Dubai out when the latter runs into problems!

Cairo - The largest city in the most populated Arab country, one considered the cultural heart of the region (where even today, many Arab-language pop cultural products originate from)! It also arguably has the Arab world's strongest military! This is where it gets its clout from!

Doha - Al Jazeera is from there! And it often strives to counterbalance Riyadh's influence!

Old 02-01-2018, 04:01 AM

I don't know that Mecca would really work though, because, literally, if you aren't Muslim, and you try to visit Mecca, it will be bad news for you (they will kick you out or worse). What I had in mind was somewhere that traditionally represents the Arabic world and it's interests (though of course, I know it is difficult to generalize, yet also to some degree is some place visitors think of when considering the area, doing business, etc.

I'm thinking Cairo, Dubai or Riyadh then, though Al Jazeera being from Doha perhaps helps it's cause.

Old 02-01-2018, 04:15 AM

400 posts, read 292,835 times
Istanbul is a Turkish city so if we don’t count it, then I think the main city in Arabic world is Cairo. It is the biggest Arabic city in terms of population and Egypt’s population is the highest among Arab countries.

Also, there is the Al- Azhar University in Cairo, renowned as "Sunni Islam’s most prestigious university".
“Founded in 970 or 972 by the Fatimids as a centre of Islamic learning, its students studied the Qur'an and Islamic law in detail, along with logic, grammar, rhetoric, and how to calculate the phases of the moon.It was one of the first universities in the world, and the only one in the Arabic world to survive as a modern university including secular subjects in the curriculum. Its mission is to propagate Islam and Islamic culture. To this end, its Islamic scholars (ulamas) render edicts (fatwas) on disputes submitted to them from all over the Sunni Islamic world regarding proper conduct for Muslim individuals and societies.”

So Cairo has some religious status as well.

Last edited by Selen; 02-01-2018 at 04:56 AM..

Old 02-01-2018, 07:30 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
1.Mecca
2.Medina
3.Riyadh
4.Cairo
5.Baghdad

T6.Amman, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Doha, Kuwait City

Old 02-01-2018, 12:49 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Cairo used to be considered the capital of the Arab world. Nowadays it might be Riyadh but I am not really sure.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:29 PM

So people have mentioned by now that Istanbul is Turk, not Arabic, but I would be curious on what Istanbul's role would be in this regard then. Because, I would tend to think that as a world city Istanbul is perhaps more significant than Cairo, and at least as significant if not more so than Dubai. That being said, Selen makes a strong case for Cairo here. I do tend to think cultural assets and tradition matter a significant deal. Has anyone on here been to Mecca or Medina? I would assume not unless said poster is Muslim, that they would not have. That being said, as a traveler and someone who is naturally curious in general, I would have interest in hearing about what both are like, firsthand. Not curious enough to sneak in though, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World