Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 11:30 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,922,938 times

Advertisements

A country that has a surprisingly large south Asian population would be Guyana in South America. 43.45% are Indian as of 2002. And 25% are Hindu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 02:22 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,981,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
The OP was posing the question regarding Canada and Australia. The UK has a significantly higher population than these two countries. That said, you say the UK has more than CAD/AUS combined. Source on that?

South Asia extends to more countries than India but India is by far the most populous South Asian population and it looks like the UK only has slightly more than Canada. Adding in Australia's than the UK most certainly does not have more than AUS/CAD combined in terms of just Indians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-re..._Indian_origin
I referring to South Asians that is Pakistanis, Bangadeshis, Sir Lankans, Nepalis and Indians combined. In addition the UK has a huge number of Pakistanis.

In the UK:

447,201 people who called themselves Bangladeshi in the 2011 census and the 1,124,511 who identified themselves as Pakistani https://www.economist.com/news/brita...n-they-arrived

With that, it could mean they could possibility outnumber the British Indians, and the South Asians in the UK are much more likely to be Muslim than Hindu.

Well in Canada people of South Asians are more likely to be Sikh than Australia or the UK. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikh

Old 02-16-2018, 06:21 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
I referring to South Asians that is Pakistanis, Bangadeshis, Sir Lankans, Nepalis and Indians combined. In addition the UK has a huge number of Pakistanis.

In the UK:

447,201 people who called themselves Bangladeshi in the 2011 census and the 1,124,511 who identified themselves as Pakistani https://www.economist.com/news/brita...n-they-arrived

With that, it could mean they could possibility outnumber the British Indians, and the South Asians in the UK are much more likely to be Muslim than Hindu.

Well in Canada people of South Asians are more likely to be Sikh than Australia or the UK. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikh
Toronto has a large population of Pakistani's and Sri Lankan's with whatever is left in the rest of Canada in general. You may be right but I would also have to look further into demographics of the country as sometimes certain groups are excluded that should be included in the broader definition of South Asian. I know S.A isn't just Indian. Anyway - no big deal but this thread is a comparison of Canada/Australia. UK is a larger country population wise and also has a more longer connection with that part of the world than AUS/CAD. Would it surprise me that it has a greater S.A population - not at all.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:24 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,981,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Toronto has a large population of Pakistani's and Sri Lankan's with whatever is left in the rest of Canada in general. You may be right but I would also have to look further into demographics of the country as sometimes certain groups are excluded that should be included in the broader definition of South Asian. I know S.A isn't just Indian. Anyway - no big deal but this thread is a comparison of Canada/Australia. UK is a larger country population wise and also has a more longer connection with that part of the world than AUS/CAD. Would it surprise me that it has a greater S.A population - not at all.
It seems that the Pakistanis and Bangladeshi in Canada have intergrated better than the UK. In the UK there are more issues with segregation living in their ethnic ghettos. I believe that the women there are more likely to be veiled, and cover their face and a higher proportion of men to be bearded with robes than their Canadian and American cousins. Canada and the US also were more likely to bring in highly educated Pakistanis and Bangladeshis compared to the UK.

Even the Pakistanis and Bangladeshis in Australia tend to be well educated when they come there. Yet the Pakistanis seem to appear more religious than other South Asian immigrants. It probably like that in Canada as well.

Last edited by other99; 02-16-2018 at 07:39 AM..

Old 02-16-2018, 02:29 PM

2,295 posts, read 1,515,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
It seems that the Pakistanis and Bangladeshi in Canada have intergrated better than the UK. In the UK there are more issues with segregation living in their ethnic ghettos. I believe that the women there are more likely to be veiled, and cover their face and a higher proportion of men to be bearded with robes than their Canadian and American cousins. Canada and the US also were more likely to bring in highly educated Pakistanis and Bangladeshis compared to the UK.

Even the Pakistanis and Bangladeshis in Australia tend to be well educated when they come there. Yet the Pakistanis seem to appear more religious than other South Asian immigrants. It probably like that in Canada as well.
It is very difficult to get a visa for Australia unless you are well educated. Unless you are part of the refugee quota which tends to target particular groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World