Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 07:37 AM

26,899 posts, read 38,209,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Because we all "hate" each other.
I was just gonna say...

Although, there are more than a few Canadians who hate Americans. And while Americans have long been blissfully ignorant of this fact, some of them are starting to catch on to it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
If we have no image or a demure one, than I don't know how much of a nation of consequence we are and the leader is a part and parcel in that..

I am not even sure that being a "nation of consequence" (whatever that means) is something we should seriously aspire to.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:14 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,635,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I was just gonna say...

Although, there are more than a few Canadians who hate Americans. And while Americans have long been blissfully ignorant of this fact, some of them are starting to catch on to it...

No one's catching on. No one cares. No one's thinking about, or worrying about, what Canadians think.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
No one's catching on. No one cares. No one's thinking about, or worrying about, what Canadians think.
I think this is still true for the most part, but still... anti-Canadian Americans did not really exist when I was younger. At all. And I am not really exaggerating.

Now you see and hear stuff like this occasionally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH_fAUnlXHs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgxhTCSfuo8

Last edited by Acajack; 03-22-2018 at 10:47 AM..

Old 03-22-2018, 09:15 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,525,683 times
Quote:
I think this is still true for the most part, but still... anti-Canadian Americans did not really exist when I was younger. At all. And I am not really exaggerating.

Now you see and hear stuff like this occasionally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH_fAUnlXHs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgxhTCSfuo8
I'm not surprised to hear that from Coulter as her views are not popular in Canada amongst most communities.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:40 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,962,946 times
Quote:
I am not even sure that being a "nation of consequence" (whatever that means) is something we should seriously aspire to.
Well put this way - don't you think there are some nations who are more consequential to world affairs than others. So would it be a negative thing for a country like Canada to aspire to be a nation that is more 'consequential'? In foreign affairs, if we don't move towards that (don't mistaken this with military expansionism) either than where do we move to and what do we aspire towards? There are many ways a nation can be more a nation of consequence from diplomacy to values etc.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:42 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,962,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I don't know - perhaps how I was raised but I was always taught to care what people think. The more we dismiss the voices of others including other nations, the more isolated we become. We are caught - in our own bubble.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:26 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,525,683 times
Quote:
I don't know - perhaps how I was raised but I was always taught to care what people think. The more we dismiss the voices of others including other nations, the more isolated we become. We are caught - in our own bubble.
I agree with the notion in principal, but a lot of times people pick on other countries out of principle or for malicious purposes. Constructive criticism is always welcome of course.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Well put this way - don't you think there are some nations who are more consequential to world affairs than others. So would it be a negative thing for a country like Canada to aspire to be a nation that is more 'consequential'? In foreign affairs, if we don't move towards that (don't mistaken this with military expansionism) either than where do we move to and what do we aspire towards? There are many ways a nation can be more a nation of consequence from diplomacy to values etc.
Yeah. I am not against being a "force for good" in the world, but OTOH it's also good to take care of things at home.

I am not sure it's much consolation for Americans whose friends and family are all hooked on opiods or who have lead-poisoned drinking water in their city, that their country is the uncontested global power.

Somehow I doubt they're singing "America f--- yeah!".

(Or if they are, there's something wrong.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World