Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 04:24 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,315,645 times

Advertisements

"La Merkel"

Trump and Obama obviously

Putin

As for here we don't even have a leader at the moment and I don't know when we will given the current mess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 04:25 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,298,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
I would expect everyone to know Assad, Netanyahu, Rouhani, Omar al-Bashir, Duterte, Maduro, Angela Merkel, Erdogan, and Xi Jinping for various reasons.
Doubt it. I don’t know most

Trump

Putin

Kim/Rocket Man

That’s about it for most people.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:31 PM

10,655 posts, read 16,075,846 times
Some that haven't been named yet...

Theresa May
Macron
Shinzo Abe
Salman

Old 03-09-2018, 07:00 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,517,030 times
Quote:
I would expect everyone to know Assad, Netanyahu, Rouhani, Omar al-Bashir, Duterte, Maduro, Angela Merkel, Erdogan, and Xi Jinping for various reasons.
I agree with Assad, Netanyahu and Xi on top of those I already mentioned as they've become quite well known over the years.

Iran is mostly associated with the Ayatollah, so I'm not convinced that Rouhani is well known. I think Ahmadinejad was more popular.

Duterte's is well known across SE Asia, but even here in Australia he's quite unknown.

Omar is largely unknown in the international community.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:41 PM

8,876 posts, read 8,480,577 times
In no particular order:

Trump
Kim
Putin
Xi
Duterte (because he throws insults on Taiwan from time to time)
Merkel
Abe
Macron (mostly because he’s young, somewhat good-looking, and his wife is really old)

I would say Trudeau too but I’m not sure he’s a household name. People know that Canada has a hot PM but I doubt many would recognise the name.

Britain is kinda a non-entity here and May is about as interesting as a cardboard box. Singapore’s PM’s father was far more famous, I doubt how much momentum this current one has. Korea’s former president with the corruption charges is far more famous than the current one.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:55 AM

834 posts, read 871,387 times
The most recognized foreign leaders in Brazil are Donald Trump (as any other president of the USA) and Nicolas Maduro (because of the chaos in Venezuela that is affecting our country too).

Other relatively well-known leaders are Kim Jong Un, Putin and Macri (president of Argentina).

Old 03-10-2018, 06:06 AM

30,640 posts, read 19,347,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I was wondering if in your country, there are leaders of foreign countries that basically everyone knows about. Either because of geographic proximity, history, relationships, whatever.

Also which ones that we might think your compatriots would mostly know, but that are largely unknown.

For example, we can assume Donald Trump is a household name around the world - but is that really as true as we think?

Canadians like to think our current Prime Minister Justin Trudeau enjoys name recognition worldwide. I am sure that may be partly true, but I have no idea to what degree.

Please feel free to distinguish between the country and the person.

For example - Silvio Berlusconi is globally fairly well-known as a person, but generally speaking the leader of Italy is not well-known around the planet.
Putin, Kim Jong Unh, Justin Trudeau, Merkel, May, Macron....probably about it.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:02 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,153,281 times
Quote:
I am surprised by how many are on your list.

The leader of Sudan is a household name in Colorado USA, for example?

Old 03-10-2018, 08:30 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,628,653 times
Quote:

No way.

I know who all those people are, but even then I'd have a difficult time coming up with their names if I were being quizzed...

But we're talking about 'household names'. Not one of those people qualify.

Even Trudeau.. Maybe 30% of Americans can name him. That number would do be much lower outside of North America.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:41 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,913,709 times
Trump, Putin, and Kim are the best known and the only household names. Xi, May, Merkel, Abe, and Trudeau to a lesser extent. Most people who pay attention to politics know who they are. Oh, Macron, but he hasn’t really put himself on the international stage, so I wouldn’t be surprised if someone doesn’t know him. Duterte, Assad, and Erdogan are well known regionally, but probably only internationally by those who pay attention to global politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World