Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 03:39 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,371,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Camp Nou?? I doubt it, its a football stadium, there are many stadiums and its not even the worlds most famous, I wouldn't be able to distinguish it from any other football stadium (I'm guessing it has a pitch surrounded by four stands of some kind)? At least Wembley has the arch to make it recognisable what does the Nou Camp have to make it more recognisable than say Old Trafford? If anything Real Madrid's stadium would be 'more' famous wouldn't it?
Yes, of course, football stadiums would qualify pretty high. Do you think the bulk of (Western and westernized) people recognize the Petronas or the Golden Gate or all the stuff mentioned here? Come on!!!

In case of FC Barcelona, they have been the most popular team the last decade, thanks to its golden era (you like it or not - and I have read tons of international forums in which the topic came up and FC Barcelona was the most popular), and the stadium has very characteristic colors and shape that make it unmistakable. Any football fan (and not necesarily a die hard fan) would recognize it pretty easily. From your British point of view, perhaps you may overstate a bit the general knowledge of the British stadiums. From my Argentine point of view, I might do it with Camp Nou, I'm not sure. On a different note, I find Old Trafford more recognizable than Wembley.

Nonetheless, most of them would be more famous than most of skyscrapers mentioned by the average person from Europe, Latin America and Africa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 08:04 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
I think you might be overstating the fame of soccer, though. Don't get me wrong, I know it is the world's sport, and is likely the world's most popular club. But, for one thing, only around 300 million people watch the UEFA Cup final, which means 6.6 Billion people don't it. Even as an avid sports fan, it's obvious, sports are not necessarily universal in nature. Second, a limiting factor would be the design (I have been.).

https://www.google.com/search?biw=12...Bpd49A8yvLWNM:

Now, soccer fans might be able to see this and say "Oh, Camp Nou", but I would guess a majority of people would not.

Beijing's stadium on the other hand, for now both the Summer and Winter Olympics (Summer generally considered the most important world sporting event it got opportunity to host), looks like this:
https://www.google.com/search?biw=12....0.vbkvGzDodmA

I would say that, while it doesn't win, elevates it above a number of other stadiums of the world.

Old 05-06-2018, 11:58 PM

395 posts, read 598,210 times
I was surprised that no one had mentioned the CN Tower but I was MUCH more surprised that no one had mentioned Rio`s Christ The Redeemer. Surely one of the most recognizable structures in the modern age with only the Eiffel Tower surpassing it in recognition.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:34 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I was surprised that no one had mentioned the CN Tower but I was MUCH more surprised that no one had mentioned Rio`s Christ The Redeemer. Surely one of the most recognizable structures in the modern age with only the Eiffel Tower surpassing it in recognition.
As much as I would like to think that the CN Tower is uber famous, I can't help feeling that if you showed the silhouette of it, most people outside of Canada wouldn't know what it was. Americans visiting mistakingly call it the CNN Tower

Old 05-07-2018, 12:41 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,192 times
Trying to ieep in within the past 90 or so years...

Burj Khalifa
Empire State Building
Chrysler Building
Freedom Tower
Sears Tower
St. Louis Arch
The Hollywood Sign

Old 05-07-2018, 01:15 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I will use the term ~modern times~ to refer to the last 100 years and here are my top 5.

Rio......................Christ the Redeemer
Sydney.................Opera House
San Francisco........Golden Gate Bridge
New York..............Empire State Building
Toronto................CN Tower
Didn't realize this was built in the 20th century....this is the winner of this poll

Old 05-07-2018, 01:18 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
Trying to ieep in within the past 90 or so years...

Burj Khalifa
Empire State Building
Chrysler Building
Freedom Tower
Sears Tower
St. Louis Arch
The Hollywood Sign
I agree with Burj Khalifa, Empire State Building, Chrysler Building ( although some could not name it, would recognize it ), and The Hollywood Sign.

Freedom Tower hasn't had time to become really, really well known outside of the US, as the Twin Towers were.

St Louis Arch..nope.

Sears Tower now Willis Tower in Chicago, in the US yes, outside of the US, unless you are interested in tall building like I am, probably not.

Old 05-07-2018, 05:13 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,207,641 times
Here's an example of one that would recently been on the list, but no longer eligible for two reasons: the Houston Astrodome. In the 1960s, recognizable as the world's only indoor sports stadium large enough for open-field games, two things have happened since. It has been demolished, and it has been duplicated by hundreds of similar buildings. But for a decade or two, the Houston Astrodome was recognized as one of the wonders of the world.

Old 05-08-2018, 02:56 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
Yes, of course, football stadiums would qualify pretty high. Do you think the bulk of (Western and westernized) people recognize the Petronas or the Golden Gate or all the stuff mentioned here? Come on!!!

In case of FC Barcelona, they have been the most popular team the last decade, thanks to its golden era (you like it or not - and I have read tons of international forums in which the topic came up and FC Barcelona was the most popular), and the stadium has very characteristic colors and shape that make it unmistakable. Any football fan (and not necesarily a die hard fan) would recognize it pretty easily. From your British point of view, perhaps you may overstate a bit the general knowledge of the British stadiums. From my Argentine point of view, I might do it with Camp Nou, I'm not sure. On a different note, I find Old Trafford more recognizable than Wembley.

Nonetheless, most of them would be more famous than most of skyscrapers mentioned by the average person from Europe, Latin America and Africa.
Are you seriously trying to suggest that people in this world would recognise a football stadium more than the Golden Gate Bridge! Nonsense! Barcelona are only popular in your head! Personally I wouldn't recognise the stadium if I tripped over it! Barcelona are not very popular in the UK and I imagine the same would be said of anywhere outside of Spain or Spanish speaking countries.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:12 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,724,360 times
To be fair I've actually been to Camp Nou and I'm not confident I'll be able to pick it out from a line-up of stadiums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World