Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 08:02 AM

27,541 posts, read 28,630,498 times

Advertisements

I haven't been. But the pictures of Sao Paulo look like a Latin American version of New York City.

If Miami were a dense megacity, it would look like Sao Paulo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 09:13 AM

990 posts, read 878,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
Thank you! Perhaps the climate of São Paulo is more like Atlanta then? Does São Paulo ever get ice or snow?

I agree that the comparisons with NYC, Miami, and San Jaun are the most valid. Now again, some will say that San Juan is technically not part of a US state, but that is another discussion.

São Paulo, without any doubt, is the most powerful economic, financial, and population center in Brazil, and very likely perhaps in all of South America.
Frosts are pretty common every year. Miami is stuffy in the summer like any coastal sub-tropical city, São Paulo not but Miami is warmer in the winter.

Yes I agree the standard of life for the average person in São Paulo is similar with San Juan in Puerto Rico in continental USA any big city are richer

Old 05-22-2018, 11:19 AM

673 posts, read 465,525 times
How about a city with the most crime?

Old 05-22-2018, 02:55 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
San Jose, California.

SJ is all world class cities wrapped up in one.
This SJ trolling is really getting old.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:09 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,525,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosilly View Post
How about a city with the most crime?
São Paulo is not even ranked amongst the top 50 cities with most crime. It's at least safest than Detroit, Baltimore and New Orleans.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:26 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
It's at least safest than Detroit, Baltimore and New Orleans.
That is unfortunately not saying very much.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
That is unfortunately not saying very much.
If the comparison would be with cities in USA...

Anyway, labelling São Paulo as the answer to NYC in South America is recurring in Brazil and other countries.
It's the economic powerhouse of Brazil without being the political capital and has the strongest economic influence in all of South America. Also, like NYC, it has also a taste of being a "world's corner" because of the large amount of inmigrants and business visitors.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:47 PM

85 posts, read 122,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
São Paulo is much colder than Miami, the city is 1000 meters above the sea level. Its climate is more similar southern California.

The city has a monsoon-influenced humid subtropical climate (Cfa), according to the Köppen classification. In summer (January through March), the mean low temperature is about 19 °C (66 °F) and the mean high temperatures is near 28 °C (82 °F). In winter, temperatures tend to range between 8 and 21 °C (46 and 70 °F).

The record high temperature was 37.8 °C (100.0 °F) on October 17, 2014 and the lowest −3.2 °C (26.2 °F) on June 25, 1918. Temperature averages are similar to those of Sydney and Shanghai.

The Tropic of Capricorn, at about 23°27' S, passes through north of São Paulo and roughly marks the boundary between the tropical and temperate areas of South America. Because of its elevation, however, São Paulo enjoys a more temperate climate.

The city experiences four seasons. The winter is mild and sub-dry, and the summer is moderately warm and rainy. Autumn and spring are transitional seasons. Frosts occur sporadically in regions further away from the center, in some winters throughout the city. Regions further away from the center and in cities in the metropolitan area, can reach temperatures next to 0 °C (32 °F), or even lower in the winter.

Some notes: São Paulo doesn't reach temperatures near 0 °C. I lived in São Paulo for ten years and the coldest it got there was 5 °C at dawn. That particularly cold year, I remember very well, was 2013. Generally winters in São Paulo are warmer then that, and the cold always comes in cold fronts (as it is in all Southeast of Brazil), so we have one or two weeks really cold (as I am experiencing right now in the State of Minas Gerais, the termometer marks 9 °C at 11:30 p.m.) followed by two or three weeks with higher temperatures (25 °C by day, 15 °C at night).

The winters are very, very, very DRY. Think of a desert dry. That's how it is. It's hard to live. It's hard to breathe. It's unbeareble. I don't think I'm capable of living in São Paulo again in the winter. I'ts normal that it doesn't rain there for two months. There's no humidity in the air, it's horrible.

The summers are a nightmare of their own. It rains EVERY SINGLE DAY. Everyday, at the same time of the day. All day long the temperature rises and rises, the sun shines bright in the sky (I used to suffer from insolation at least once every summer), and then, around 5 p.m. (it seemed to me that it's always been exactly at 5 p.m.), occurs a violent storm that lasts about only half an hour, but it's destructive.

São Paulo is only 700 to 780 meters above sea level (that I also remember well, because I worked with Engineering Geology there). São Paulo is not higher than any neighbouring city, in fact the elevation around 700 m extends to a large part of Brazil (it's a geomorphological phenomenon that used to be called "Rio das Velhas Surface").

The four seasons are subtly marked, autumn and spring as short periods of "not so hell on Earth" (that being when people are not so sick to death from the dry and not whipped by tropical storm on a daily basis).

I would be surprised if there's a city in the world that has a ****ty climate like that, so it's hard to compare São Paulo with other cities based on its unique climatic features.

Old 05-30-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Rago View Post
Some notes: São Paulo doesn't reach temperatures near 0 °C. I lived in São Paulo for ten years and the coldest it got there was 5 °C at dawn. That particularly cold year, I remember very well, was 2013. Generally winters in São Paulo are warmer then that, and the cold always comes in cold fronts (as it is in all Southeast of Brazil), so we have one or two weeks really cold (as I am experiencing right now in the State of Minas Gerais, the termometer marks 9 °C at 11:30 p.m.) followed by two or three weeks with higher temperatures (25 °C by day, 15 °C at night).

The winters are very, very, very DRY. Think of a desert dry. That's how it is. It's hard to live. It's hard to breathe. It's unbeareble. I don't think I'm capable of living in São Paulo again in the winter. I'ts normal that it doesn't rain there for two months. There's no humidity in the air, it's horrible.

The summers are a nightmare of their own. It rains EVERY SINGLE DAY. Everyday, at the same time of the day. All day long the temperature rises and rises, the sun shines bright in the sky (I used to suffer from insolation at least once every summer), and then, around 5 p.m. (it seemed to me that it's always been exactly at 5 p.m.), occurs a violent storm that lasts about only half an hour, but it's destructive.

São Paulo is only 700 to 780 meters above sea level (that I also remember well, because I worked with Engineering Geology there). São Paulo is not higher than any neighbouring city, in fact the elevation around 700 m extends to a large part of Brazil (it's a geomorphological phenomenon that used to be called "Rio das Velhas Surface").

The four seasons are subtly marked, autumn and spring as short periods of "not so hell on Earth" (that being when people are not so sick to death from the dry and not whipped by tropical storm on a daily basis).

I would be surprised if there's a city in the world that has a ****ty climate like that, so it's hard to compare São Paulo with other cities based on its unique climatic features.
This is, by far, the most accurate description of the climate of São Paulo which I ever read.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:55 PM

6,784 posts, read 4,224,158 times
I'd say both L.A. and Miami are on a 'good' path to resemble Sao Paulo in different ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World