Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 07:57 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,174,162 times

Advertisements

I think the answer depends on how you plan to spend your retirement. A lot people say retirement has two phases, an active one where you try to enjoy life and check off bucket lists and a more passive phase where your health is starting to go and you need assistance with basic tasks. Those of us who plan to be social in the first phases probably wouldn't randomly relocate to a new location just to save money, unless it is absolutely necessary. I'd prefer to retire to cities that I want to enjoy, or to smaller communities where I have friends, than to some destination I've never been and am not curious about. This is true whether it's overseas or within the US.

In the second phase of retirement where I'm more or less stuck in an assisted living facility just waiting to die it wouldn't matter where I am. I'd consider relocating to a random Podunkville to save money, even overseas. This is assuming my kids don't want to visit regularly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 08:03 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
I know personally of 2 cases where someone retired early and went to foreign countries to live the good life.
They are both trapped. They can come back to the US and be flat broke, or stay where they are forever.
FWIW, they both are sailors, they both have gotten too old to sail comfortably (one is sick) and because they have been gone so long they have no home to come back to.

Be careful. That's all I'm saying.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:43 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,900,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I know personally of 2 cases where someone retired early and went to foreign countries to live the good life.
They are both trapped. They can come back to the US and be flat broke, or stay where they are forever.
FWIW, they both are sailors, they both have gotten too old to sail comfortably (one is sick) and because they have been gone so long they have no home to come back to.

Be careful. That's all I'm saying.

That's why it makes sense to keep a small home and rent it out(property management companies take care of the logistics), so that you have something to come back to. The money you make off the rent can be enough to live off of if the house is paid off. If you don't have enough income to be able to travel back and forth periodically then maybe it's not a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World