Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 03:10 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times

Advertisements

I cannot really think of any North American cities that are particularly like Sydney and Melbourne. The ethnic mix in San Francisco reminded me of Sydney, but that was about it. Capetown, South Africa actually reminded me of Sydney.

The city that I know most like Melbourne is Buenos Aires. But only in an architectural sense.

American cities usually have wider streets, grid patterns, strip malls and less areas suitable for walking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 05:10 PM

929 posts, read 1,904,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
I cannot really think of any North American cities that are particularly like Sydney and Melbourne. The ethnic mix in San Francisco reminded me of Sydney, but that was about it. Capetown, South Africa actually reminded me of Sydney.

The city that I know most like Melbourne is Buenos Aires. But only in an architectural sense.

American cities usually have wider streets, grid patterns, strip malls and less areas suitable for walking.
Yeah you're right about the wider streets, grids, strip malls and pedestrian hostility. Do you think Boston's streetscape is similar to Sydney's? (albeit with different architecture)

Old 07-25-2018, 07:46 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,345,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
Yeah you're right about the wider streets, grids, strip malls and pedestrian hostility. Do you think Boston's streetscape is similar to Sydney's? (albeit with different architecture)
Melbourne and Sydney are also quite different from each other as well. Melbourne’s trams and associated infrastructure tend to make it’s CBD streets look a lot narrower than they are, and it’s geography facilitated a more classic gridded layout as found in other Australian cities. Another obvious difference is that Melbourne is easily the “taller” looking city.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:12 AM

284 posts, read 331,144 times
Sydney feels denser though and somewhat larger despite the minimal population difference, maybe owing to that perceived density. But, with the masses of highrise construction going on around Melbourne's CBD it'll easily outgrow, and "out-tall" Sydney's.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:21 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:

Portland Oregon kinda reminded me of Melbourne. Strong indie music and art scenes and such...I just felt like the two cities were artistically in-tune with each other.

Sydney, maybe like a much larger San Diego...mostly because something about Sydney seems so 'Southern California'...but Los Angeles is just such a strange city overall...San Diego is a more polished cleaner smaller Los Angeles...with the surf culture and such....but Sydney is more of a LA-type of Magnet for Australians though....

Old 07-26-2018, 05:44 AM

837 posts, read 1,256,163 times
Quote:
I don't know of any North American city that has laneways and to my knowledge San Francisco, Boston and Toronto don't. Quebec City and New Orleans might, though. Some parts of Lower Manhattan in NYC might also.

Those laneways are really cool though- makes you feel like you're Madrid or Barcelona.
The urban core of my city, Montreal, has quite a few laneways. And Montreal, in general, has more of the feel of a European city than most other North American cities.

Quote:

Melbourne and Buenos Aires both have very strong cafe cultures as well, and very strong arts scenes. Of course, one city is Anglo and the other is Latin, but still.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Portland Oregon kinda reminded me of Melbourne. Strong indie music and art scenes and such...I just felt like the two cities were artistically in-tune with each other.

Sydney, maybe like a much larger San Diego...mostly because something about Sydney seems so 'Southern California'...but Los Angeles is just such a strange city overall...San Diego is a more polished cleaner smaller Los Angeles...with the surf culture and such....but Sydney is more of a LA-type of Magnet for Australians though....
Melbourne reminded me of a hybrid between Portland and Toronto. Very neat city.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
The urban core of my city, Montreal, has quite a few laneways. And Montreal, in general, has more of the feel of a European city than most other North American cities.

Melbourne and Buenos Aires both have very strong cafe cultures as well, and very strong arts scenes. Of course, one city is Anglo and the other is Latin, but still.
To me Montreal looks quite similar to the non-hilly parts of Philadelphia (similar density, city land-area, population and grid layout); aside from its francophone culture and party culture, it struck me as much more like a Northeast US city than a European city. Old Montreal was the only part that felt European to me.

Buenos Aires is incredibly dense relative to Melbourne though and is massive. Buenos aires feels somewhat similar to Manhattan at street level (BA has a sea of seemingly unending midrise buildings similar to much of Upper Manhattan).

Old 08-03-2018, 11:42 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
If Sydney has an urban population of 5 million there are 6 urban areas in the USA with population of over 5 million
1 New York--Newark, NY—NJ—CT 18,351,295
2 Los Angeles--Long Beach--Anaheim, CA 12,150,996
3 Chicago, IL—IN—WI 8,608,208
4 Miami, FL 5,502,379
5 Philadelphia, PA—NJ—DE—MD 5,441,567
6 Dallas--Fort Worth--Arlington, TX 5,121,892
7 Houston, TX 4,944,332

But Sydney has a per capita GDP that surpasses even the wealthiest per capita cities in the USA which are all much smaller.
  1. Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue,
  2. Austin-Round Rock,
  3. San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara,
  4. San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward
  5. Denver-Aurora-Lakewood

Old 10-19-2018, 05:05 PM

257 posts, read 167,643 times
Quote:
Yeah I guess Sydney isn't rife with towers in the park the way north American cities are.

How do you think the urban scales of Toronto and Melbourne compare? Do Melbourne's commercial arteries (e.g. Sydney Road that goes thru Brunswick) compare with Toronto's (e.g. Queen St. west) in intensity and length of interrupted shops/restaurants/bars? How would you say their immediate cores compare?

Do you think Sydney's total amount of urban streetscape is more or less than Toronto's?
Sydney rd. seems more like a Yonge St., running out of the core north deep into the suburbs. But it's not as wide as Yonge st and indeed to my eye Aussie cities seem a bit less developed than North American cities like Toronto. Going down Sydney rd. compared to Yonge st. even north of bloor shows the difference.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.68273...7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.ca/maps/@-37.7731...7i13312!8i6656

Leaving downtown in both but not that far out.

Even if you compare it to Queen W
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.64866...7i16384!8i8192

There is just something off with the quality of the buildings and streetscape in Aussie cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World