Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 02:28 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,203,689 times

Advertisements

Because there are lots of freeloaders even in developed countries. Each country has set different tax rates so their citizens can enjoy some benefits such as free health care or education. They are not designed to pay for the benefit of non-citizens who did not contribute anything. If Canada opens its borders to any American who would like to immigrate there, you can bet that the uninsured with serious health conditions will be the first to move. The Canadian health care system will surely collapse due to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 02:54 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Davy, that isn't a relevant answer to MarisaMay's question above that you quoted in your above response.

Why should people from wealthy developed countries have the privilege to country shop?

I already gave my anwer.

Old 10-09-2018, 05:02 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,606,547 times
Some countries already have these policies (Aus-NZ, EU) but I assume it part of it is that it comes down to a numbers game. For some countries the numbers in vs the numbers out would probably be quite lop-sided.

A much better solution that I've always wondered why hasn't caught on would be a visa trade-scheme. Countries that wanted to be part of the deal could have some sort of program where an individual could find a similarly aged person of similar qualifications from the country you wanted to move to, and you could each get a visa to each others' country to go work. For example, if I hold an American passport, have a degree in Engineering and am in my 20's with 5 years' work experience and wanted to move to New Zealand, I could find a 20-something Kiwi with an Engineering degree and similar professional experience who wanted to move to the US, and we could each get a visa to essentially trade places. Surely this would be an easy way to give just about everyone immigration options, even people that aren't in what are traditionally seen as "skilled careers", so long as they could find a "partner"?

Old 10-09-2018, 08:06 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Quote:
Yes.

Which countries would they be in your opinion that would get overrun and empty? Perhaps USA would empty out to other first world countries due lack of social programs there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
Some countries already have these policies (Aus-NZ, EU) but I assume it part of it is that it comes down to a numbers game. For some countries the numbers in vs the numbers out would probably be quite lop-sided.

A much better solution that I've always wondered why hasn't caught on would be a visa trade-scheme. Countries that wanted to be part of the deal could have some sort of program where an individual could find a similarly aged person of similar qualifications from the country you wanted to move to, and you could each get a visa to each others' country to go work. For example, if I hold an American passport, have a degree in Engineering and am in my 20's with 5 years' work experience and wanted to move to New Zealand, I could find a 20-something Kiwi with an Engineering degree and similar professional experience who wanted to move to the US, and we could each get a visa to essentially trade places. Surely this would be an easy way to give just about everyone immigration options, even people that aren't in what are traditionally seen as "skilled careers", so long as they could find a "partner"?
I actually really like this idea. This would be a great alternative to the OP's proposal. I guess the problem is some countries have different qualifications for different things so it's almost never an apples to apples comparison.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:58 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
Quote:
Davy, that isn't a relevant answer to MarisaMay's question above that you quoted in your above response.

Why should people from wealthy developed countries have the privilege to country shop?

We already do. Wealthy people do have an easy time to "country shop." Every country in the world has investment visas which are easy for wealthy people.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:19 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Which countries would they be in your opinion that would get overrun and empty? Perhaps USA would empty out to other first world countries due lack of social programs there.
Considering a wide segment of the American population regularly votes against programs that would be to their own benefit, you're not likely to see a massive jump, unless it was from other liberally minded persons.

Still, I doubt even that would happen. Most Americans don't have a passport, and movement within the US is at a low not seen in decades. It's becoming clear that a large segment of the population would prefer to suffer in place in certain areas. Many of those who are moving are also moving in greater numbers to lower paying regions rather than higher paying ones. Meaning people are moving to Southern cities more than various coastal cities.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:33 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Considering a wide segment of the American population regularly votes against programs that would be to their own benefit, you're not likely to see a massive jump, unless it was from other liberally minded persons.

Still, I doubt even that would happen. Most Americans don't have a passport, and movement within the US is at a low not seen in decades. It's becoming clear that a large segment of the population would prefer to suffer in place in certain areas. Many of those who are moving are also moving in greater numbers to lower paying regions rather than higher paying ones. Meaning people are moving to Southern cities more than various coastal cities.
Your statement goes against the actual number of passport holders in the US. It was a dismal 10 percent years ago, but is now up past 40 percent, or over 136 million Americans now hold passports.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...tatistics.html

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42586638

Even if on a couple of million of those Americans decided to move to Canada, Canada would have issues.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelondon View Post

"Be a citizen of the world!" -- a message from the Government of Canada
Short term work visa's aren't what we are talking about. Youth have always been encourage in Canada to get out and see the world, and better yet, get some work experience as well. We welcome others in that regard as well.

It makes better worldly citizens, and these young people may build bonds with others outside the country that could benefit them and Canada in the future.

I believe in Canada these visa's are for two years only.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:15 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Your statement goes against the actual number of passport holders in the US. It was a dismal 10 percent years ago, but is now up past 40 percent, or over 136 million Americans now hold passports.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...tatistics.html

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42586638

Even if on a couple of million of those Americans decided to move to Canada, Canada would have issues.
Prior to 9/11 you didn't need a passport to go to countries like Mexico and Canada. Today you need a full passport, a passport card, or an enhanced license from a specific border state (ex: an enhanced license from a state like Michigan). Destinations in North America also remain the most popular with Americans going abroad, so that is a strong driver of the increase.

Finally, while a couple million additions to Canada would be a new shock, it wouldn't be a hollowing out of the US. Especially since they'd likely get offset by newcomers in such a hypothetical border scenario.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Prior to 9/11 you didn't need a passport to go to countries like Mexico and Canada. Today you need a full passport, a passport card, or an enhanced license from a specific border state (ex: an enhanced license from a state like Michigan). Destinations in North America also remain the most popular with Americans going abroad, so that is a strong driver of the increase.

Finally, while a couple million additions to Canada would be a new shock, it wouldn't be a hollowing out of the US. Especially since they'd likely get offset by newcomers in such a hypothetical border scenario.
I'm fully aware of the changes in needing a passport for Americans...but the point is, that the OP is talking about people with passports having free movement.

Since, for Canada, the US, with now 136 million passport holders, would be a threat.

You're seeing this from the US side, I'm not concerned with the hollowing out of the US, I'm concerned with the millions that may drift across the border into Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World