Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is a better City if you're filthy rich: London or New York?
London 48 48.48%
New York 51 51.52%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 02:59 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,728,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Billionaires usually cite somewhere with tax advantages as their main property, as they do not have to pay much tax, and they usually register companies and individual finances somewhere else whilst living in London for most of the time.

They can therefore live in London, without paying most of the taxes.

For individuals resident but not domiciled in the United Kingdom (a "non-dom"), foreign income and gains have historically been taxed on the remittance basis, that is to say, only income and gains remitted to the United Kingdom are taxed (for such people the United Kingdom is sometimes called a tax haven).

Foreign nationals don't need to pay full taxes despite living in London for the majority of the time, and UK nationals can also use non-dom tax laws to evade taxes, despite spending the vast majority of their time living in London.

Residence and Domicile - UK Taxation - Wikipedia

List of people with non-domiciled status in the UK - Wikipedia

This does not apply to American Billionaires who are US Citizens or those who live in NYC, as the US has very different tax laws.

Another advantage London has for the wealthy is far lower property taxes on mansions and expensive properties.

Why is the tax on a London mansion a tiny fraction of that in New York? - The Guardian (2019)

This is in contrast to New York, where that has been talk of an exodus of the wealthy due to new tax rates -

New York's wealthiest look for exits as state readies hefty tax increase - CNBC (2021)

NYC's ultra-rich face 52% combined top income tax rate, highest in U.S. - CBS News (2021)

Cool.

I'll consider buying a mansion in London when I become a billionaire someday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2021, 04:42 PM

66 posts, read 43,342 times
Monte Carlo!

Old 07-29-2021, 04:48 PM

25 posts, read 17,669 times
NY is a sh!thole. Crime rampant and thanks to the insane liberals that run the place who place hurt feelings above lawlessness, little to no punishment by way of puny sentences/charges and plenty of parole. Couldn't pay me to visit.

Old 07-30-2021, 02:49 AM

323 posts, read 265,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diwlari View Post
Monte Carlo!
Best answer. Truly a paradise for the filthy rich.

Old 07-30-2021, 03:08 AM

27,471 posts, read 13,695,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBetrus View Post
Best answer. Truly a paradise for the filthy rich.
Monaco, at only 0.78 square miles, Monaco is smaller than New York’s Central Park and it is very reliant on France and nearby Nice.

Old 07-30-2021, 07:09 AM

66 posts, read 43,342 times
Quote:
Monaco, at only 0.78 square miles, Monaco is smaller than New York’s Central Park and it is very reliant on France and nearby Nice.
Who cares?

Monaco is paradise.

If you tire of Monaco
Paris 40 minutes away by private jet.
Barcelona is 35 minutes by private jet.
Rome an hour away by private jet.
Swiss alps, hello ski season, 30 minutes away by private jet.

On top of that you live in the Mediterranean, with top notch gastronomy, literally no crime, and amazing weather.

Why would a rich person chose to live in NYC or London? Not only that, why would a rich person would even chose to live in an English speaking country? It's beyond me!

If I were rich, give me southern France, Spain, Italy, Portugal!!

Why would I chose the US or England? Are you mad?

Last edited by diwlari; 07-30-2021 at 07:27 AM..

Old 07-30-2021, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwlari View Post
Who cares?

Monaco is paradise.

If you tire of Monaco
Paris 40 minutes away by private jet.
Barcelona is 35 minutes by private jet.
Rome an hour away by private jet.
Swiss alps, hello ski season, 30 minutes away by private jet.

On top of that you live in the Mediterranean, with top notch gastronomy, literally no crime, and amazing weather.

Why would a rich person chose to live in NYC or London? Not only that, why would a rich person would even chose to live in an English speaking country? It's beyond me!

If I were rich, give me southern France, Spain, Italy, Portugal!!

Why would I chose the US or England? Are you mad?
Hello Irene.

New Account.

Monaco is only 642 as the crow fly's.

A private jets such as a Bombardier Global 7500 can fly at a maximum speed of 610 mph.

So you can travel from London to Monaco in less than an hour.

In terms of London to Paris, a train is only around 2 hours and on a private jet the journey would be less than half an hour and the same applies to other European destinations, and London has the advantage of lots of private airfields including Farnborough, Northolt, Biggen Hill, London City Airport, Blackbushe, Fairoaks, Stapleford etc etc.

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-30-2021 at 07:43 AM..

Old 07-30-2021, 07:35 AM

14,826 posts, read 12,099,835 times
Quote:
Hello Irene.

New Account.
Last post is proof I think! Its definately Irene!

Old 07-30-2021, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Last post is proof I think! Its definately Irene!
I think our suspicions have been confirmed.

I really don't know what she gets out of all these multiple accounts or constantly attacking the same cities.

It's all just a bit tiresome and pathetic.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:50 PM

12,237 posts, read 8,156,388 times
Monaco? I guess the per capita rate would be highest.

But idk. I wouldnt live there if I were filthy rich.

My uncle has a net worth over $25m and he lives between Suburban Boston and Southern Florida. I guess thats one combination.

Another filthy rich combination I know of is:
-Nantucket MA & Oyster Bay NY.
-Long Beach Island NJ & Tribeca, Manhattan NY
-Wellesley MA & Aruba
-Nantucket MA & San Francisco

I dont know of filthy rich people in London, so I cant say. But In NY, Most will have some sort of beach vacation home in Massachusetts or The Hamptons. Close proximity, so im sure its good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World