Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is a better City if you're filthy rich: London or New York?
London 48 48.48%
New York 51 51.52%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 04:25 AM

163 posts, read 137,787 times

Advertisements

I'd like to know the similarities and differences. And what, why and how one is better.

Thanks to all that respond
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 05:28 AM

57 posts, read 47,819 times
I'd rather live in NYC, and I've never even been there as a tourist. I've been to London 4x, however, and I can say that I would not ever care to live there. I can't imagine being surrounded by British people all the time. Besides, I find their love of the royal family - and the class system there - annoying.

Old 10-23-2019, 05:40 AM

6,038 posts, read 5,948,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonHippy View Post
I'd rather live in NYC, and I've never even been there as a tourist. I've been to London 4x, however, and I can say that I would not ever care to live there. I can't imagine being surrounded by British people all the time. Besides, I find their love of the royal family - and the class system there - annoying.
Then again London is hardly overwhelmed with British people. It is a city of internationals. I think now close to half non white and still, though not as much as previously, left leaning, hardly royal loving subjects and class is more a question of money than birth as once was.

Old 10-23-2019, 05:42 AM

6,038 posts, read 5,948,732 times
If filthy rich why stay in either? If forced to make a decision then it's fifty fifty each way. London may win it for me due to rapid connections to Mainland Europe. Close run thing though.

Old 10-23-2019, 05:45 AM

839 posts, read 734,665 times
Quote:
The question was framed from the POV of a filthy rich person, not as yourself. You not wanting to live there as a peasant (as you are now) does not answer the question.

Old 10-23-2019, 05:49 AM

27,157 posts, read 13,444,010 times
Quote:
London is hardly full of British people, it's as multicultural as NYC and has 20 million overseas visitors a year.

Rates of social mobility are not that great in the US, which has it's own elites, and he British class system is not what it was, whilst modern Britain iis much more meritocractic.

As for the Royal Family they have no real power and do not impact on the eneryday lives of people in the UK.

London has some beautiful areas which attract a lot of the worlds rich, although such people often have numerous houses across the world.

London is one of the great shopping cities, with places such as Bond Street, Regent Street, Slane Street etc and it has numerous famous department stores such as Harrods, Harvey Nichols, Liberty etc, as well as many bespoke upmarket shops.

London's pleasant green space, and history is also amazing, and it's a much more relaxing city. Around 47% of London is green space and it's home to historic deer parks and even four world herotage sites including Kew Gardens, as well as the Royal Parks. On top of that you have over 3,000 Parks and many hundreds of beautiful garden squares in Central London.

In all London has over 3,000 parks of varying sizes designated by the boroughs as ‘public open space’, London is a green city. Together they cover almost 18 per cent of London which is more than the area of the city covered by railways and roads combined. London is also now the world’s first National Park City and is aiming for 50% of the city to be green by 2050.

As for the architecture it is also historic and amazing, from the beautiful Nash designed Regency terraces through to magnificent Victorian architecture and the Albertopolis and beyond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blommberg

Even central London and central Manhattan have fundamental differences, and that is without bringing Harlem or East Harlem into it. I almost always feel pleasant and relaxed walking around London. In central Manhattan, I often feel a bit stressed. I go to Manhattan to hear jazz, to visit contemporary art galleries, to soak up the energy of the streets. When I am in London (less frequently), I visit well-stocked bookshops, eat Indian food, and absorb a very different vision of government and politics.

To be blunt, if the two cities are so similar, why do I much prefer spending time in London? It can’t be completely explained by Anglophilia or even the lure of the unfamiliar. Nor is it that in New York I am more likely to get stuck in a blizzard or a heat wave. And I won’t get into a comparison of possible side trips from each city. (OK, just a little: From London I have gone on day trips to Oxford, Greenwich and the bohemian city of Bristol. From New York I have gone on day trips to Yonkers, Long Island and New Jersey. Need I say more?)

I grant that my preferences are, like all preferences, subjective. Still, I think a general observation applies: More than ever before, London and New York offer more good ways of having different experiences.

Why London Is Better Than New York - Bloomberg (2019)

As well as the places mentioned in the quote you also have numerous destinations only a few hours away via Eurostar such as Lille, Brussels, Paris, Lyon etc, whilst trains also go direst from London to Amsterdam, Rotterdam, the South of France and the Alps, with further direst routes to Bordeaux, Geneva, Cologne, Düsseldorf, Essen, Aachen and Dortmund,Antwerp, Liège etc

Eurostar plans high-speed rail service to more European cities - Lonely Planet (October 2019)

In terms of the rich they may want to use their private jets to fly to various European and other destinations and there are plenty of prvate airfields around London.

Whilst there are a lot of social and cultural events that the wealthy enjoy in London with lots of sporting clubs and major horse racing close at and such as the Epsom Derby ore Royal Ascot.

Season (society) - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-23-2019 at 07:00 AM..

Old 10-23-2019, 06:37 AM

3,525 posts, read 2,320,333 times
As much as love NYC, London would be my move. It has every much the cultural diversity & big city feel as NYC, but with arguably a better climate and in terms of geographic location blows NYC off the planet in terms exotic location accessibility due to it's immediate access to Europe and relative close proximity to Asia & Africa.

Old 10-23-2019, 07:36 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,684,415 times
I think filthy rich people don't even think like that. They have flats in both of them. IMO if it's not the case, you're not filthy rich. FR = you have a private jet, a big yacht or more and you don't really know what to do with your money anymore.
Even very rich, first class plane, unlimited champagne and great bed and you go everywhere. I d go for NY because I m european and I would want to "change".
Else in Europe that would be London first.

Old 10-23-2019, 09:07 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,303,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX101MAX101 View Post
I'd like to know the similarities and differences. And what, why and how one is better.

Thanks to all that respond
It's so subjective. Pokitobounto has a point in that if any of the responders here were "filthy" rich, whatever that means, we really don't know how we would think.

Nonetheless, I have lived in NYC, but not Manhattan, and have spent days at a time in London on several occasions, and in my musings I say to myself if I had $30,000,000 I'd live in Manhattan, but if I had $60,000,000 I'd live in London.

In my subjective opinion, London has everything Manhattan has to offer, and then some. For example, I just love the British Library Museum and would try to do research there. That may seem trivial to some, but my experience there one afternoon, and reading about other collections normally unseen to the public, leave a deep impression.

Others will have other reasons for choosing one or the other. It's all good.

All the good, then.

Old 10-23-2019, 09:49 AM

290 posts, read 179,441 times
London is one of the most overrated cities in Europe, Given the choice and I were very richand in Europe, I would live in Paris rather than London.

New York City is a fantastic city if you have money to spend, so my answer will be New York City. London is just boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World