Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2019, 11:04 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,753,760 times

Advertisements

Native speakers are excluded.
What do you think.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-de...glish-speakers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 11:08 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,893,856 times
It depends on how you define proficiency. Often times it's difficult to know they are speaking English unless one listens closely.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:02 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,371,503 times
I suspect that either or both:

1) The standards for being considered ‘proficient’ are very low according to this study.

2) The samples are skewed towards more educated people / middle and upper classes, what furthermore help developing countries get better results and make the overall comparison useless due to the lack of homogeneous statistical representativeness.

Old 12-06-2019, 02:23 PM

4,397 posts, read 4,286,737 times
Why is South Africa included and Israel isn't?

Old 12-07-2019, 04:00 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,156,636 times
Here is the study report.

https://www.ef.com/__/~/media/centra...19-english.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
I suspect that either or both:

1) The standards for being considered ‘proficient’ are very low according to this study.

2) The samples are skewed towards more educated people / middle and upper classes, what furthermore help developing countries get better results and make the overall comparison useless due to the lack of homogeneous statistical representativeness.
1) This might be true, but the main purpose of the study seems to be to observe trends relative to previous years. Their test is very similar to TOEFL and the like and I believe their scoring is tiered similarly.

2) Yes, quite possibly. The study is conducted entirely online which, in certain regions, could skew away from poor/uneducated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Why is South Africa included and Israel isn't?
It's entirely based on whomever chooses to participate. The test is available online for anyone...however the researchers only included geographic areas with a minimum of 400 participants, so we can assume Israel had 399 or fewer participants.

Old 12-07-2019, 08:44 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,753,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Here is the study report.

https://www.ef.com/__/~/media/centra...19-english.pdf

1) This might be true, but the main purpose of the study seems to be to observe trends relative to previous years. Their test is very similar to TOEFL and the like and I believe their scoring is tiered similarly.

2) Yes, quite possibly. The study is conducted entirely online which, in certain regions, could skew away from poor/uneducated.

It's entirely based on whomever chooses to participate. The test is available online for anyone...however the researchers only included geographic areas with a minimum of 400 participants, so we can assume Israel had 399 or fewer participants.
In terms of "speaking" English, there is no way Chinese are close to Indians or beat Russians. However it is very possible for reading and writing English.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:38 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
I’m surprised that Singapore and South Africa are included as non-native English speakers while many other countries are not.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:59 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,884,085 times
I get a kick out of the colors in the chart - it looks like U.S., Canada, and Australia english speaking is low. Maybe it's the color setting on my monitor (or maybe they are right).

From my world travel experience the most difficult time I had with English was visiting Brazil. Another comment - Chinese are learning English like crazy. No problem with English in the big cities at all.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:54 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,440,884 times
This report is lame because no one takes this test.

It is true that Japanese ppl speak **** English, though, and they are not even trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I’m surprised that Singapore and South Africa are included as non-native English speakers while many other countries are not.
I can see South Africa being included since many there don't speak English as their native language, but including Singapore is a joke. No one even speaks Chinese there anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World