Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 01:43 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I just saw the Italian numbers for today, 5300+ new cases today, that's incredible for a country which has been completely shut down and where people don't leave their homes anymore. Even the few odd ones that do can't account for 5300+ new infections.
Something eerie is going on. I hope we have not overlooked another way of transmission that is unaffected by our current approaches.

I agree.
I've been watching this thing (CV) unfolding in a slow mo already for a long time.
No matter who says what, Russians DID NOT close the border with China right away, after the CV started mushrooming in Wuhan. The border was quite porous, with a lot of traffic - buses, cars, ( not just airplanes.)
So I was expecting the CV to mushroom in Russia ( at least Eastern part) soon after that, but nope. What's even more strange, the whole group of 140 people that were scooped up from Wuhan ( the epicenter of it all,) were quarantined for 14 days, tested, but the results came negative.

Yet the cases of infection started multiplying in Russians that returned FROM ITALY. It became obvious right away.

So yes, something eerie is going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 02:19 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Maybe a different, nastier strand, maybe with a longer incubation period.
I have heard an expert say that the virus mutates every two weeks or so, and given the geographical distribution, that multiplies considerably.

Old 03-19-2020, 02:50 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,021,534 times
for as long as they literally pee in the channels of Venice and drink from dirty tap water, the virus won't fade out...most viruses have some survival time in water, especially in cold water.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Maybe a different, nastier strand, maybe with a longer incubation period.
I have heard an expert say that the virus mutates every two weeks or so, and given the geographical distribution, that multiplies considerably.

I wonder sometimes whether the "genetic makeup" has anything to do with it, and not just "different stands" of the virus alone.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:23 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
There seems to be a Latin vs Germanic divide in Europe, the former have much higher mortality rates.
But maybe it is just coincidence or the result of different healthcare systems.

Also, men are far more affected than women.

Old 03-19-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:
There seems to be a Latin vs Germanic divide in Europe, the former have much higher mortality rates.
But maybe it is just coincidence or the result of different healthcare systems.

Also, men are far more affected than women.

I took note of this already too.

(And then there is Iran, with much younger population overall.)

Old 03-19-2020, 06:22 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
A bunch of stuff. There are like a billion news pieces about them.

Taiwan Is Beating the Coronavirus. Can the US Do the Same?
How Taiwan is containing coronavirus – despite diplomatic isolation by China
What Taiwan can teach the world on fighting the coronavirus

If other countries had acted fast enough none of this mess would be happening.
Except when it comes back as a stronger strain.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:07 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Except when it comes back as a stronger strain.
Yea, it's possible. However, it wasn't the ability to counter the effects of the virus itself, but planning for how to track the spread of the virus, what precautions to take, and clearly communicating all of that that worked.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-19-2020 at 07:26 PM..

Old 03-19-2020, 07:32 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, it's possible. However, it wasn't the ability to counter the effects of the virus itself, but planning for how to track the spread of the virus, what precautions to take, and clearly communicating all of that that worked.
If a stronger strain indeed does come back I would prefer to catch it this time around and develop some anti-bodies towards it. I know not everybody can afford that luxury as there are people with underlying health conditions but I'm in favour of the herd immunity theory as long as elderly and vulnerable people are isolated BUT well looked after. At least until a safe vaccine is developed for those at risk populations.

Old 03-19-2020, 09:00 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
If a stronger strain indeed does come back I would prefer to catch it this time around and develop some anti-bodies towards it. I know not everybody can afford that luxury as there are people with underlying health conditions but I'm in favour of the herd immunity theory as long as elderly and vulnerable people are isolated BUT well looked after. At least until a safe vaccine is developed for those at risk populations.
Eh, I prefer containing it early and smartly so it’s not too disruptive and meanwhile work on vaccines or cures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World