Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: On a scale of 1-10, how "developed / first world" is the USA?
1 5 4.10%
2 1 0.82%
3 2 1.64%
4 3 2.46%
5 6 4.92%
6 23 18.85%
7 17 13.93%
8 29 23.77%
9 13 10.66%
10 23 18.85%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 11:07 AM

27,651 posts, read 28,750,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You can disagree all you want. It simply doesn't seem to be the case as there is little voiced support for looting among people protesting police brutality. You have a large amount of protestors documented trying to stop looting and the looters mostly seem to be the really young. The people vandalizing and breaking **** en masse seems to come from all sides with some seeing this as an opportunity to start ****.

Read up on accelerationists: https://www.justsecurity.org/70497/f...-supremacists/

It's also pretty simple to see that the overall murder tally over the last several years is very notably higher among far-right groups than anything remotely "antifa." It's an old mental blockage that people have these days that they can't see what actually creates more damage despite how overtly visible it is. I am concerned though that people more on the far right end up believing that they can only counter with upping the ante and becoming even more violent--you do see that with the two Molotov cocktail attacks in NYC, but thankfully neither of those resulted in deaths.

Essentially, extremism is an issue that the US has quite a bit of, and it's awful as there is little leadership up top that can only inspire much unity and pull for peace. I think it's understandable why some posters looking from the outside at the US might have a very hard time rating the US high on a 1-10 scale.
I have seen some claims that the riots are being instigated by far-right groups. But the evidence seems shady. Maybe we will know the truth when the dust settles.

In any case, whoever is doing these things are low life scum (not the peaceful protesters).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2020, 11:17 AM

37,251 posts, read 39,538,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I have seen some claims that the riots are being instigated by far-right groups. But the evidence seems shady. Maybe we will know the truth when the dust settles.

In any case, whoever is doing these things are low life scum (not the peaceful protesters).
Yes, I agree they're scum and it's unfortunate for the peaceful protesters. It's true that just because forums and other messaging platforms popular with far-right groups have been very explicitly and continuously calling to infiltrate protests as a way to perpetuate violence and carnage in order to instigate an overt and extreme response from a hopefully inept government does not necessarily mean any of them are doing it. However, I also wouldn't be too surprised if there were a bit of that antagonizing.

Anyhow, to be on topic, I can see extremism, police brutality, and the way these protests have gone so far as perhaps reasons why some people might think the US might be given a lower overall score on a 1-10 ranking. It does seem to have some issues sometimes, but perhaps there'll be a silver lining to these recent events.

Old 06-02-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Yes, I agree they're scum and it's unfortunate for the peaceful protesters. It's true that just because forums and other messaging platforms popular with far-right groups have been very explicitly and continuously calling to infiltrate protests as a way to perpetuate violence and carnage in order to instigate an overt and extreme response from a hopefully inept government does not necessarily mean any of them are doing it. However, I also wouldn't be too surprised if there were a bit of that antagonizing.

Anyhow, to be on topic, I can see extremism, police brutality, and the way these protests have gone so far as perhaps reasons why some people might think the US might be given a lower overall score on a 1-10 ranking. It does seem to have some issues sometimes, but perhaps there'll be a silver lining to these recent events.
The riots will be stopped or fizzle out probably in a matter of days and be forgotten. The much more fundamental issue is the very high level of violent crime that is committed by certain demographics.

That has been going on for many decades and is not going to stop anytime soon.

Old 06-02-2020, 05:33 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,283,295 times
Quote:
The riots will be stopped or fizzle out probably in a matter of days and be forgotten. The much more fundamental issue is the very high level of violent crime that is committed by certain demographics.

On this we disagree again.
I think the much more fundamental issue is what type of police force the US should have and the question why it currently seems to be so inadequately trained or perhaps staffed with characters not suitable for such job.
When petty crimes can lead to be killed by police officers or even worse when one can be killed in ones own house while in bed, because the police got the wrong address and when then they STILL have the nerve to charge a person living in that house for defending themselves on a no knock raid (AGAIN ON THE WRONG HOUSE) with attempted murder, well then you have an issue. An issue that seems much more fundamental and a danger to the society.
If this would be happening in any other country, US media would have no issue calling it what it is but alas when it happens one ones own doorstep media and politicians alike seem to be unwilling to call it out for what it is. Same goes for the recent treatment and actions against members of the press, mind you the highest person in charge in the country is stirring the pot against the press. Again, any other country and what would all call it? I think we all know. Just look at HK and the opinions on China and their treatment of the citizens of HK.

Old 06-02-2020, 07:10 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,508,978 times
Quote:

The last thing that needs to happen right now, is turning every problem into a left/right debate. Let's be honest here, both groups have been utterly toxic for the community, especially over the last decade.

Old 06-02-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
The last thing that needs to happen right now, is turning every problem into a left/right debate. Let's be honest here, both groups have been utterly toxic for the community, especially over the last decade.
I doubt that most of the world gets the left and right perspectives of U.S. news and events.

The mainstream news that people see is probably entirely from a liberal viewpoint.

Old 06-02-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:

It'll be a footnote in some distant future, but it's not going to be forgotten at a drop of the hat. The question is if the response to the protests and riots are going to be ones that solve fundamental issues that helped lead to such. It seems sort of doubtful with the kind of leadership we have, but again, maybe this will help lead to better things in the near future.

Quote:
I doubt that most of the world gets the left and right perspectives of U.S. news and events.

The mainstream news that people see is probably entirely from a liberal viewpoint.
Most international news media / foreign reporters have their own bureaus here, and they don't really fit it into a perspective that would be recognizable to US left and right political spectrums because the parties are sort of an accidental binding of very different issues. It would generally not be recognizably liberal or conservative as far as I can tell from the news media of a few separate countries. How did you come to your conclusion as a monolingual partisan who has never lived abroad in another country? Did you similarly pull this out of the same dark hole where you tried to correlate average home size with rate of home ownership among other oddities or lies you've said in this thread?

Old 06-03-2020, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by providence623 View Post
The USA is on its way to become a second Brazil.

A large country full of racism, backwardness, social inequality.

We have a nation where a LARGE segment of our population has to work themselves to the ground in order to stay afloat.

A large number of our population is largely ignorant, parrochial.

Race is not even a fact of evolution nor biology but A SOCIALLY CONSTRUCTED system that dates back to the days of slavery.

Today many Americans are ignorant enough to believe that race is a biology thing.

All these riots are a taste of what's yet to come... The revolution has just started, Trump is nothing but a hick up in America's march towards a better future, a more egalitarian, fair society.

OUR POLICE IS THUGGISH, ABUSIVE.

In 2013 only 1% of all of the cases of assumed police brutality resulted in police being charged. The other 99% of posdible police abuses were dismised.
Where’d you get your crystal ball? The US does have a lot of issues. It’s a large country and it has some very unsavory bits of history leading to issues of the present day. However, it’s a pretty big stretch to say we’re on our way to becoming a second Brazil as it’s not clear what these protests will result in.

Old 06-03-2020, 06:32 AM

Quote:
It'll be a footnote in some distant future, but it's not going to be forgotten at a drop of the hat. The question is if the response to the protests and riots are going to be ones that solve fundamental issues that helped lead to such. It seems sort of doubtful with the kind of leadership we have, but again, maybe this will help lead to better things in the near future.

Most international news media / foreign reporters have their own bureaus here, and they don't really fit it into a perspective that would be recognizable to US left and right political spectrums because the parties are sort of an accidental binding of very different issues. It would generally not be recognizably liberal or conservative as far as I can tell from the news media of a few separate countries. How did you come to your conclusion as a monolingual partisan who has never lived abroad in another country? Did you similarly pull this out of the same dark hole where you tried to correlate average home size with rate of home ownership among other oddities or lies you've said in this thread?
Where did I say that average home size is correlated with home ownership? Maybe you can find the post where I wrote that and then we can have a discussion about it. But let’s keep this civil or otherwise the mod is going to close this thread.

From my own experience, I suspect that the media in other countries mainly shows the American liberal view of issues. Now I know that is a sweeping statement and it is hard to prove. But that’s what my instinct tells me.

For example, the notion that police brutality is a huge problem and rampant in the United States is an American liberal perspective. How much foreign media shows the conservative perspective which is completely opposite and is very supportive of America’s police and in fact considers them to be heroes? I’d like to know that.

Old 06-03-2020, 07:40 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,508,978 times
Quote:
From my own experience, I suspect that the media in other countries mainly shows the American liberal view of issues. Now I know that is a sweeping statement and it is hard to prove. But that’s what my instinct tells me.
Perhaps that is the case, but it also attests to the fact that foreign press shares a lot of views with what you describe as ‘liberals’. The problem is that this isn’t the first time it’s happened, and it’s been brushed aside numerous times.

Quote:
For example, the notion that police brutality is a huge problem and rampant in the United States is an American liberal perspective. How much foreign media shows the conservative perspective which is completely opposite and is very supportive of America’s police and in fact considers them to be heroes? I’d like to know that.
Police brutality is a major problem though. Obviously, it doesn’t mean that every cop is a crook, however all it takes are a few bad apples to spoil everything. This ties in once again to the bipartisan problem that is ever present in American politics/society which revolves around the need to split everything along black and white lines. If one is liberal then cops are bad guys, if they are conservative then cops are great and can do no wrong.

For the record though,I do agree with you that those who engage in rioting are thugs that need to be dealt with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World