Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 09:18 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheheartoftheheart View Post
I've spent time in all the cities below:

Belgrade is the closest match in Europe by far, but you better like second-hand smoke!

I'd also say Budapest, Leipzig, Brno, Sofia/Plovdiv, Gdansk in Europe--but still nowhere close to Berlin.

Bangkok maybe the only Asian city with a lot of art/culture/food and cheap (but not so cheap) real-estate. decent transpo.

What I like about Berlin:

--Great Turkish food
--Open container drinking in the park on gorgeous summer days
--Decent-sized Vietnamese community so alternatives to Wurst und Kartoffel
--More music and art than you can ever possibly consume
--Lots of legitimately interesting, artistic, and intelligent people

But:

--Low wages in comparison to rest of Germany (even in tech)
--Real-estate prices are going up quickly
--Lots of pretentious people; all the arrivistes have ruined it
--Lot of drugs, it gets old when most socializing involves some sort of pill

Just my 2 cents.

Not really any city like it.

I read Taipei and almost spit my coffee out!

Lots of cute coffee shops for your GF to take selfies but no real art or music scene.

Real estate is absurd there. You have to go down the coast to the port cities to find anything close to a deal...natural landscape is great tho in Taipei.
Taiwan, centered around Taipei, has an independent film and music scene that are pretty active though obviously mostly in Chinese languages. Real estate is absurd there for the wages people make, but rentals are a bit less crazy.

Infrastructure's good and island's small enough that it's pretty easy to get to shows in other places though obviously concentrated in Taipei. I haven't lived there full-time in a decade, so I'm out of touch, but these folks's concerts were fun and their lead singer is now an elected legislator in the Yuan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5z-AOdCAx8

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-24-2020 at 09:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2020, 05:30 AM

8,866 posts, read 8,448,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Well, I thought Taipei was famous for its ridiculously bargain priced housing costs, as in extremely cheap even compared to big U.S. cities. I thought Berlin was too.
It's bargain priced in terms of rent, but the property prices are highly inflated.

And it has nothing in common with Berlin. Berlin is an imperial city of one of the most impactful empires in Europe and the centre stage of numerous pivotal moments in the history of humanity and is now hiptown numero uno; Taipei is ... a place very few can name.

Last edited by Greysholic; 05-25-2020 at 05:47 AM..

Old 05-25-2020, 09:10 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
I totally forgot about Budapest.

Old 05-25-2020, 09:43 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,965,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
It's bargain priced in terms of rent, but the property prices are highly inflated.

And it has nothing in common with Berlin. Berlin is an imperial city of one of the most impactful empires in Europe and the centre stage of numerous pivotal moments in the history of humanity and is now hiptown numero uno; Taipei is ... a place very few can name.
I disagree, Taipei is a world famous city. Not in the level of NYC or London or Tokyo in terms of fame, but everyone here in the US has heard of it, including white people.

It's also regarded as Asia's cool, progressive city.

Old 05-26-2020, 01:22 AM

8,866 posts, read 8,448,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I disagree, Taipei is a world famous city. Not in the level of NYC or London or Tokyo in terms of fame, but everyone here in the US has heard of it, including white people.

It's also regarded as Asia's cool, progressive city.
Maybe it is more progressive than other Asian cities/countries (let's be honest here, it's not a high bar), and it might be a popular destination in Asia, but to draw comparisons with a giant like Berlin is laughable.

I have been to Berlin and I didn't like it at all, but it is one of the icons in Europe. It was the epicentre of Prussia, the epicentre of the German unification as well as the subsequent empire, the epicentre of two World Wars, and the epicentre of the Cold War. I'm not saying those are particularly wonderful things to be remembered for, the wars certainly aren't, but they are some of the most pivotal moments in human history and have had long-lasting, universal impact. Not to mention all the great Germanic thinkers and artists, many of them called Berlin home or at least had ties to Berlin. All of that stayed in Berlin. If you open a book about world history or world culture I'm like 101% sure that Taipei wouldn't appear in any pages.

Old 05-26-2020, 08:40 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Maybe it is more progressive than other Asian cities/countries (let's be honest here, it's not a high bar), and it might be a popular destination in Asia, but to draw comparisons with a giant like Berlin is laughable.

I have been to Berlin and I didn't like it at all, but it is one of the icons in Europe. It was the epicentre of Prussia, the epicentre of the German unification as well as the subsequent empire, the epicentre of two World Wars, and the epicentre of the Cold War. I'm not saying those are particularly wonderful things to be remembered for, the wars certainly aren't, but they are some of the most pivotal moments in human history and have had long-lasting, universal impact. Not to mention all the great Germanic thinkers and artists, many of them called Berlin home or at least had ties to Berlin. All of that stayed in Berlin. If you open a book about world history or world culture I'm like 101% sure that Taipei wouldn't appear in any pages.
Yea, I agree that Taipei is definitely less well known as a city and has far fewer events of global ramification than Berlin. That’s just the facts.

However, that’s not the priority for the OP. In comparison to the rest of the world, Taiwan is a very progressive country whether you think the bar is too low or not. In terms of what the OP is asking for, Taipei is pretty solid.

Old 05-26-2020, 09:46 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,022,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I totally forgot about Budapest.

Budapest is cool but surely outside its golden years esp. since they elected that Orban guy. He doesn't seem too pro-russian and weird these days but still not government you'd like to live under.

Old 05-26-2020, 09:48 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,965,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, I agree that Taipei is definitely less well known as a city and has far fewer events of global ramification than Berlin. That’s just the facts.

However, that’s not the priority for the OP. In comparison to the rest of the world, Taiwan is a very progressive country whether you think the bar is too low or not. In terms of what the OP is asking for, Taipei is pretty solid.
Berlin is admittedly a high bar for global fame. Taipei being less famous doesn't mean it's not famous. I'd wager it's at least as famous as Budapest.

Old 05-26-2020, 09:54 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,022,912 times
^ This really varies from country to country, in both Western Europe and Eastern Europe Budapest is very well known meanwhile only America and Australia can qualify as distant countries 90% of the people think about from time to time.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:56 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Budapest is cool but surely outside its golden years esp. since they elected that Orban guy. He doesn't seem too pro-russian and weird these days but still not government you'd like to live under.
True. The crazy conservative politics taking over Eastern Europe do create somewhat of a non-Berlin vibe since Berlin is mostly about live free party hard with a very open vibe. I visited Budapest in 2013, I believe before they elected him? I didn't get a vibe of conservativeness whatsoever in the city. I loved the grittiness of the city and the underground nightlife style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World