Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Safe for LGBTQ couple
Qatar 5 20.00%
U.A.E 5 20.00%
Egypt 2 8.00%
Turkey 14 56.00%
Morocco 3 12.00%
Tunisia 3 12.00%
Oman 3 12.00%
Jordan 5 20.00%
Malaysia 6 24.00%
Indonesia 10 40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 04:53 PM

365 posts, read 216,001 times

Advertisements

It would probably be Albania, Bosnia, and Kosovo. It's not illegal and let's say a significant amount of the population is not homophobic but, nevertheless, they're by NO means gay friendly countries. Btw I'm originally from Romania and I'm a human geography geek (have a degree in it too) so I know what I'm talking about when it comes to those countries. I'm also gay myself.

I know transgender individuals are RELATIVELY accepted in Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Indonesia (not sure about Malaysia)....at least to the extent that they are visible in society but they still face a lot of persecution.

Transgender people are much better accepted in Oman but they might have a different reaction to foreign transwomen than to local ones....and I'm also not sure what their attitude towards a man who is in a regular 'full time' relationship with one be.

Last edited by Tronas; 08-28-2020 at 05:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2020, 08:11 PM

12,168 posts, read 8,014,676 times
I wouldn't reccomend any but Turkey. Turkey seems decent for LGBTQ rights.

I'm not sure the Muslim religion is so tolerant or respectful of Gays. I mean Christians will scold you or pray for you, but it's a whole other ball game in Islam.

Old 09-01-2020, 02:55 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,026,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
All of them are safe as long as you maintain dont ask dont tell.
I agree.

Old 09-01-2020, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
I agree.
A lot of people do ask....and who would want to keep a secret who they are and not live freely and normally...just like straight people do.
I think it's best if the OP just avoids Muslim countries altogether.

Old 09-02-2020, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronas View Post
A lot of people do ask....and who would want to keep a secret who they are and not live freely and normally...just like straight people do.
I think it's best if the OP just avoids Muslim countries altogether.
Well in Muslim countries, its not just public display of affection between couples is frowned upon, but hetrosexual couples as well.

I am sure in the main tourist areas of progressive Muslim countries, such as the tourist strips of Bali, Turkey, Lebanon and Morocco one can be openly gay tourist or even a permanent resident and not be prosecuted, more so if you are a foreigner there.

Old 09-02-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Well in Muslim countries, its not just public display of affection between couples is frowned upon, but hetrosexual couples as well.

I am sure in the main tourist areas of progressive Muslim countries, such as the tourist strips of Bali, Turkey, Lebanon and Morocco one can be openly gay tourist or even a permanent resident and not be prosecuted, more so if you are a foreigner there.
Public display of affection is frowned upon but at least they can present themselves as a couple without any repercussions (for that matter PDA is frowned upon in Japan as well).

You can be prosecuted in Morocco and sometimes in Lebanon....and you can certainly get gay bashed in any of them.

Stop trying to minimize the level of homophobia...

Old 09-02-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronas View Post
Public display of affection is frowned upon but at least they can present themselves as a couple without any repercussions (for that matter PDA is frowned upon in Japan as well).

You can be prosecuted in Morocco and sometimes in Lebanon....and you can certainly get gay bashed in any of them.

Stop trying to minimize the level of homophobia...
I have been to Bali and there are well known gay bars there. Plus Bali is a haven for GLBT Indonesians.

BTW in many muslim majority countries, if you book into a hotel and book to share a bed with another person of the same sex, they don't care. They only care about the money they can make out of customers that visit there, not their sexual preference.

Old 09-03-2020, 06:54 AM

35,067 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:

Why should anyone fear persecution anywhere? Why not just avoid countries that persecute anyone?

Old 09-03-2020, 01:47 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,021,534 times
I'm still suspicious about Turkey though lol, there's 99% chance (ok 100%) to get your ass kicked if you even attempt holding a gay pride in Istanbul. Lebanon: maybe yet they have many christians so who knows...

Old 09-03-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
I'm still suspicious about Turkey though lol, there's 99% chance (ok 100%) to get your ass kicked if you even attempt holding a gay pride in Istanbul. Lebanon: maybe yet they have many christians so who knows...
Well Christians hold the same beliefs about Muslims as being gay is a sin (zina), and I am sure there are priests in Lebanon that would go out their way to prevent a gay pride event there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World