Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 08:38 PM

349 posts, read 489,153 times

Advertisements

In Australia, although we're a very multicultural country, there's still this idea that non Anglo-Celtic descended Australians aren't as fully Australian, or are Australian but also 'other.' Like some Italian Australians or say Vietnamese Australians play up being Italian or Vietnamese (or Chinese, Greek, Lebanese) as opposed to the 'Aussies' or Australians. Like in 2005 there was a riot between Aussies and 'Lebs' (Lebanese) in Sydney, and many felt they didn't completely belong in Australia, even if they were born here. I think due to us having more immigrants as a percentage of the population, and more recent immigrants vs the US (24% vs 12% born outside the country), as well as a policy of multiculturalism, it seems people are less integrated. There's also this idea that the typical Australian is a blonde surfer type, a lot of Americans and Asians seem surprised to meet non-white Australians, and a girl in Thailand actually didn't believe me when I told her I was Australian lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 08:43 PM

520 posts, read 532,619 times
This is absolutely true. And I noticed this when I was in your fine country. You have a more selective mix of northern europeans and particularly British and British isles immigrants. So you retain more traditionally anglo features. I notice many more lighter eyes, pale skin, blondes, etc. America is a mix from all of Europe much more. Poorer eastern europeans, italians, lots of other people in larger percentages

Old 06-14-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meyers View Post
This is absolutely true. And I noticed this when I was in your fine country. You have a more selective mix of northern europeans and particularly British and British isles immigrants. So you retain more traditionally anglo features. I notice many more lighter eyes, pale skin, blondes, etc. America is a mix from all of Europe much more. Poorer eastern europeans, italians, lots of other people in larger percentages
One thing I noticed when I went to America. One thing that stood out in LA was how short the people seemed. I noticed a lot of Latinos, and then realised it was because Latinos tend to be short. Obviously a lot more black people, especially in the South where I went, we have Africans from Africa but obviously not in such large numbers...Compared to Sydney and Melbourne LA and NY didn't seem as Asian. NYC has tons of Asians but also tons of others so they're more mixed. I think we're getting more diverse, aside from Australians of Northern and Southern European ancestry we have Chinese, Indians, Vietnamese, Filipinos, Malaysians, Indonesian, Lebanese, Persians, Turkish and more Hispanics among others.

Melbourne has a lot of southern Europeans, Italians, Greeks, Croatians, Maltese.etc...

But yes, overall our 'white people' are majority British/Irish descended vs the US.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeeks View Post
One thing I noticed when I went to America. One thing that stood out in LA was how short the people seemed. I noticed a lot of Latinos, and then realised it was because Latinos tend to be short. Obviously a lot more black people, especially in the South where I went, we have Africans from Africa but obviously not in such large numbers...Compared to Sydney and Melbourne LA and NY didn't seem as Asian. NYC has tons of Asians but also tons of others so they're more mixed. I think we're getting more diverse, aside from Australians of Northern and Southern European ancestry we have Chinese, Indians, Vietnamese, Filipinos, Malaysians, Indonesian, Lebanese, Persians, Turkish and more Hispanics among others.

Melbourne has a lot of southern Europeans, Italians, Greeks, Croatians, Maltese.etc...

But yes, overall our 'white people' are majority British/Irish descended vs the US.
Thats true. Yes and infact they say our heights will decline more because of changing demographics in this century. I think weve tapped out health improvement methods of raising heights. Unless we solve the current obesity/ diabetes trend soon and see some remarkable new heightening effect from a better diet. But yes you all did seem taller.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Thats true. Yes and infact they say our heights will decline more because of changing demographics in this century. I think weve tapped out health improvement methods of raising heights. Unless we solve the current obesity/ diabetes trend soon and see some remarkable new heightening effect from a better diet. But yes you all did seem taller.
Australia is probably more similar to the South in terms of height. Still, compared to Northern Europe we don't seem as tall.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:07 PM

I find it slightly annoying that a lot of people seem unaware of how diverse/multicultural we are. Moreso than most of the US, that's for sure. I mean we're an immigrant nation close to Asia, after the White Australia policy was lifted what do you expect would happen?

Old 06-14-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
I find it slightly annoying that a lot of people seem unaware of how diverse/multicultural we are. Moreso than most of the US, that's for sure. I mean we're an immigrant nation close to Asia, after the White Australia policy was lifted what do you expect would happen?
Well you guys do have a lot of Asian immigration. But you have what I call quiet immigration. Your cultural mix are much more willing to assimilate I believe. And they are quiet achievers. You just dont have huge numbers of hispanics and AAs which is similar to all of the commonwealth countries basically.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Well you guys do have a lot of Asian immigration. But you have what I call quiet immigration. Your cultural mix are much more willing to assimilate I believe. And they are quiet achievers. You just dont have huge numbers of hispanics and AAs which is similar to all of the commonwealth countries basically.
AAs are Americans, though, so I don't really see them as part of the multicultural mix. I guess they do have their own cultural thing but they're still American.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:30 PM

290 posts, read 259,323 times
Quote:
In Australia, although we're a very multicultural country, there's still this idea that non Anglo-Celtic descended Australians aren't as fully Australian, or are Australian but also 'other.' Like some Italian Australians or say Vietnamese Australians play up being Italian or Vietnamese (or Chinese, Greek, Lebanese) as opposed to the 'Aussies' or Australians. Like in 2005 there was a riot between Aussies and 'Lebs' (Lebanese) in Sydney, and many felt they didn't completely belong in Australia, even if they were born here. I think due to us having more immigrants as a percentage of the population, and more recent immigrants vs the US (24% vs 12% born outside the country), as well as a policy of multiculturalism, it seems people are less integrated. There's also this idea that the typical Australian is a blonde surfer type, a lot of Americans and Asians seem surprised to meet non-white Australians, and a girl in Thailand actually didn't believe me when I told her I was Australian lol.
OP, this in an interesting issue. I will tell you my experiences.

My family is totally Anglo [UK]. When we came to Australia in the late 70's I was very young. There was racism against us. Hard to believe but there was. When my folks took me to the kinder playgroup we got booted out by Australians. As soon as they heard our British accent they told us to **** off: "you're not one of us". We had to find another playgroup.

In a way there is still racism. Albeit of a more subtle sort. My folks often get angry because if they say anything bad about Australia people just write off as a "whinging Pom" and look at them "funny". Whereas if a person with an Australian accent criticises Australia they are allowed to. I have to add that my folks have pretty strong [ North UK] British accents.

So I absolutely agree that Anglo-Celtic descended Australians are not seen as fully Australian. That was the case in the late 70's. It's still the case in 2015. Another thing is that it may or may not to whatever extent be a consequence of that: it is that in the Frankston/Mornington [ SE Melbourne] area it has a high % of Anglo Celtic people like us in the ABS statistics. So we have in a way congregated.

I ask myself if the reverse applies. In a way it does. I don't feel in any way connected to the "typical Australian" stereotype. I look at the blonde surfer or the ANZAC thing as something foreign to me. In a way I see such "Australians" as foreigners of a sort who are very different from me.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:27 PM

244 posts, read 362,446 times
Quote:
How are African-Americans immigrants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World