Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2020, 05:09 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,325,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Have to justify my wage somehow.
When I worked at Duke University Medical Center, a little over 5 years ago, the lab next to mine, had an older lady from Columbia who worked there. I'm sure she told me where in Columbia she was from, but alas I don't remember.

Anyways, the one thing I will always remember about her, and it has nothing to do with the beauty or lack of beauty of her home country, I'm not even sure she really brought that up, but it was the fact she was adamant that Colombian Spanish was the best and most eloquent Spanish spoken outside of Spain.

The ironic thing was, she shared an office with an older guy from Chile and of course he respectfully disagreed with her with assessment that Colombians spoke the "best" Spanish outside of Spain!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2020, 03:23 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,168,768 times
Virgin Islands (U.S. and British) - territories but the beaches are amazing and islands are lush

St. Lucia (the pitons)

Austria

Switzerland

United States

Old 11-15-2020, 07:40 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Afghanistan
Colombia
Italy
Canada
USA
Brasil
Greece

Dont sleep on Afghanistan just because the US invaded it and its trying to ruin it: https://www.businessinsider.com/afgh...photos-2017-12

Old 11-15-2020, 01:33 PM

365 posts, read 215,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
You might have missed it when the Columbia guy used another country as inferior to Columbia by comparison which I thought was uncalled for.
Like I said, I have nothing against Columbia, but it was getting over the top and under the belt
This thread should be renamed "the beauty of Columbia"- it lost the intended purpose of discussing the beautiful environments of different countries
Amen to that.
I'm the OP and I told him off about it and he replied with a snarky comment. Maybe he doesn't realize that he's actually putting us off Colombia with these obsessive posts. He's as bad as the UK ultranationalists from early in the thread....which is ironic considering he joined me in condemning them.

Old 11-15-2020, 01:36 PM

I would say Jamaica is the most beautiful 'tropical island paradise' country. I'm surprised I haven't seen it mentioned in the thread already.

Old 11-15-2020, 01:51 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,720,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronas View Post
Amen to that.
I'm the OP and I told him off about it and he replied with a snarky comment. Maybe he doesn't realize that he's actually putting us off Colombia with these obsessive posts. He's as bad as the UK ultranationalists from early in the thread....which is ironic considering he joined me in condemning them.
Joined you in condemning them? Never, when did you dream that up? That was your bone to pick with them. You showed contempt for the UK (on the Lake District & other matters previous on the forum) and they responded in kind. As I mentioned before in this thread the UK is of immense cultural & historical significance and a beautiful green & pleasant land throughout.

UNITED KINGDOM

I'm showcasing looads of beautiful nature in one megadiverse region of the planet. A place crucial to the survival of the Earth with more fresh water than India, all Europe combined and equal to China, Immense forest cover and 8% of the world's plants known to science in 0.7% of the worlds land surface. If you're put off by it that's your prerogative. As I said before my posts don't refrain others from posting, seems like the ultra-nationalists are actually on the other foot with so much vitrial at the sight of beautiful diverse nature from one place - I don't get it.

Also I know Euro was semi-joking around and you stuck your big spoon in to turn the pot. Even you commented on the odness of his statement.

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 11-15-2020 at 02:43 PM..

Old 11-17-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Joined you in condemning them? Never, when did you dream that up? That was your bone to pick with them. You showed contempt for the UK (on the Lake District & other matters previous on the forum) and they responded in kind. As I mentioned before in this thread the UK is of immense cultural & historical significance and a beautiful green & pleasant land throughout.

UNITED KINGDOM

I'm showcasing looads of beautiful nature in one megadiverse region of the planet. A place crucial to the survival of the Earth with more fresh water than India, all Europe combined and equal to China, Immense forest cover and 8% of the world's plants known to science in 0.7% of the worlds land surface. If you're put off by it that's your prerogative. As I said before my posts don't refrain others from posting, seems like the ultra-nationalists are actually on the other foot with so much vitrial at the sight of beautiful diverse nature from one place - I don't get it.

Also I know Euro was semi-joking around and you stuck your big spoon in to turn the pot. Even you commented on the odness of his statement.
Be gone. The power of Christ compels you.

Old 11-17-2020, 06:09 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,322,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronas View Post
Amen to that.
Sorry, about your derailed thread!
Some people could be a bit tribal.
Wish your thread a speedy recovery!

Maybe we should start a thread on "overrated" landscapes?
Personally, all tropical beaches seem over rated to me- they look quite alike-Pacific or Atlantic if not for the color of the sand and or water - and sometimes not even that!
Hopefully, I wont be struck by indignant posters, but personally I cant call the UK's Lake District- beautiful. I know, blasphemy...
The area feels unnecessary hesitant, disturbing and gloomy to me and not in a good way - so I never could understand an appeal.
It is just ok in my book, it could be pretty in spots when certain light strikes...but there are so many more upliftingly magical "lakes districts" out there on our beautiful planet

Last edited by Nik4me; 11-17-2020 at 06:38 PM..

Old 11-17-2020, 08:45 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,720,875 times
Default Los Llanos

Before my demon self withers away, I present the Kenya & Tanzania of South America, Los Llanos savannah, a global 200 ecoregion the size of Germany.

Venezuela

Phot.Venezuela.Tepui.01.003.1991.jpg
by frank müller, on Flickr

Canaima National Park by Mike Telfer, on Flickr

Sunset in Los Llanos - Venezuela by Paco Alfonso, on Flickr

42-29043100 by Layerplay Design, on Flickr

Flying over The Orinoco River - Sobrevolando el rio Orinoco by David Ruiz Luna, on Flickr

Los llanos by Paco Alfonso, on Flickr

Jump by Stig Nygaard, on Flickr

Los Llanos Savannah

llanos_-_mapa by Julian Iregui, on Flickr

Quote:

Personally, all tropical beaches seem over rated to me- they look quite alike-Pacific or Atlantic

I can't call the UK's Lake District- beautiful. I know, blasphemy...
The area feels unnecessary hesitant, disturbing and gloomy to me and not in a good way - so I never could understand an appeal.
Oooh sounds delightful, overrated landscapes huh? Maybe you could revel in publishing slums and filth in that thread too. Can't wait!

Excuse me - I have to go plan my Christmas getaway to a cottage in the disturbing, gloomy, "Inferior" Lake District. The irony

Old 11-18-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Sorry, about your derailed thread!
Some people could be a bit tribal.
Wish your thread a speedy recovery!

Personally, all tropical beaches seem over rated to me- they look quite alike-Pacific or Atlantic if not for the color of the sand and or water - and sometimes not even that!
Hopefully, I wont be struck by indignant posters, but personally I cant call the UK's Lake District- beautiful. I know, blasphemy...
It is just ok in my book, it could be pretty in spots when certain light strikes...but there are so many more upliftingly magical "lakes districts" out there on our beautiful planet

I like the UK a lot but I think you're spot on when it comes to the lake district. I don't understand why it's hyped so much when there are dozens of more beautiful areas in the country. I guess it's just a legacy of Shelley and Byron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World