Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 12:01 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,449,392 times

Advertisements

This is such a bizarre list. Reads more like a broad stroke of "visit here in this country" and that's it.

Bed Stuy for NYC? OK neighborhood with great history but the place has some majorly sketchy parts, and undesirable areas. Many good areas, but many bad. Probably not even top 20 in New York City, to be honest.

Anyway. Cool to scroll through. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 12:04 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Verdun Mtl has come a long ways if it's now considered one of the coolest neighborhoods in the world. I have always liked that area but it was not really considered cool before. I haven't lived there for a long time.

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 10-21-2020 at 12:22 PM..

Old 10-22-2020, 07:38 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
This is such a bizarre list. Reads more like a broad stroke of "visit here in this country" and that's it.

Bed Stuy for NYC? OK neighborhood with great history but the place has some majorly sketchy parts, and undesirable areas. Many good areas, but many bad. Probably not even top 20 in New York City, to be honest.

Anyway. Cool to scroll through. LOL
Well, depending on how you weigh varying factors, I can see some combination favoring Bed-Stuy because of the architecture, cost, hip-hop history, and creeping gentrification from both the west via Clinton Hill and the north via Bushwick and have a higher threshold for what sketchy or dangerous is. I think that makes a bit sense in attracting people who think that's a cool neighborhood though not so much best neighborhood overall. What would your pick have been? Bushwick? Ridgewood? Or something more established like the Lower East Side or Chelsea?

Old 10-22-2020, 07:54 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, depending on how you weigh varying factors, I can see some combination favoring Bed-Stuy because of the architecture, cost, hip-hop history, and creeping gentrification from both the west via Clinton Hill and the north via Bushwick and have a higher threshold for what sketchy or dangerous is. I think that makes a bit sense in attracting people who think that's a cool neighborhood though not so much best neighborhood overall. What would your pick have been? Bushwick? Ridgewood? Or something more established like the Lower East Side or Chelsea?
Cool to me is Upper East Side. I like elite. But cool overall would probably be something like SoHo or Hell's Kitchen.

Old 10-22-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Cool to me is Upper East Side. I like elite. But cool overall would probably be something like SoHo or Hell's Kitchen.
These seem like choices of someone who are close to death and/or have little knowledge of NYC for the last two decades

Old 10-22-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
These seem like choices of someone who are close to death and/or have little knowledge of NYC for the last two decades
I can only speak the truth based on my preference. But I will say there are quite a few nice places in New York City.

Plus, there is of course the issue of money and what people can actually afford to buy.

Old 10-22-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
I can only speak the truth based on my preference. But I will say there are quite a few nice places in New York City.

Plus, there is of course the issue of money and what people can actually afford to buy.
I think more likely is that you don't actually know the city because those seem very much like basic tourist selections. Living there in those neighborhoods as I've done with Soho is a very different matter and it is not cool even in a stability / ultralux sort of way. It's a lot of tourists and stores catered to such especially fashion brands that aren't very upmarket trying to get upmarket credibility. It does make sense for someone who has very little understanding of the city to pick but formed their idea of NYC from entertainment media in the 90s and don't know any better or if they are late teeny-boppers who want to be influencers or at least very much want to follow in their lifestyle. Both can be preferences of sorts, but would probably be pretty trying if actually done.

Old 10-22-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
I think more likely is that you don't actually know the city because those seem very much like basic tourist selections. Living there in those neighborhoods as I've done with Soho is a very different matter and it is not cool even in a stability / ultralux sort of way. It's a lot of tourists and stores catered to such especially fashion brands that aren't very upmarket trying to get upmarket credibility. It does make sense for someone who has very little understanding of the city to pick but formed their idea of NYC from entertainment media in the 90s and don't know any better or if they are late teeny-boppers who want to be influencers or at least very much want to follow in their lifestyle. Both can be preferences of sorts, but would probably be pretty trying if actually done.
People "know the city" in different ways. I am not interested in cheap parts of a city that some people deem are cool because they think it shows promise. That is not my thing.

I go for the prize.

Old 10-22-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
People "know the city" in different ways. I am not interested in cheap parts of a city that some people deem are cool because they think it shows promise. That is not my thing.

I go for the prize.
I understand that. However, even when going for the prize of more expensive and established neighborhoods, you seem to not have an accurate idea of what the city's neighborhoods are like. If you wanted already established neighborhoods where no one is bargain-hunting in hopes a neighborhood will flip (which also isn't an entirely accurate description of Bed-Stuy though there are those people as well), then Soho is almost certainly still not it because of the huge influx of tourists that are looking to buy the many fast fashion brands out there. It seems more like a choice for a teenage hypebeast sort of idea of what cool would be.

I am reasonably certain that's not what you are looking for because your first choice was the Upper East Side. There are neighborhoods that make more sense near Soho in that way such as Tribeca, Nolita, or even the more commonly cited as cool neighborhoods of Greenwich and West Village that have long priced out much of the industries that originally lead them to being considered cool but still are considered cool by many--Soho just really hasn't been it for at least the last decade. How excited are you really about Topman, COS, Supreme, Uniqlo, Zara and the like along with only slightly more boutique-y but expensive brands? That's essentially end to end that for commercial spaces in Soho now and very, very little else which is why it's flocked to by younger people, often groups of teens to young adults under 30 or families with their teens to buy things for their teens. I can understand someone in that demographic thinking Soho is super cool, the best(!), but is that really what you're into? When was the last time you lived in NYC?

Anyhow, I was actually asking jj who I think is an actual NYC resident and likely is a lot more knowledgeable about NYC neighborhoods. Yea, sure, anyone can weigh in and your picks are interesting, but I'm more curious about what his pick against Bed-Stuy is.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-22-2020 at 09:40 AM..

Old 10-22-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I understand that. However, even when going for the prize of more expensive and established neighborhoods, you seem to not have an accurate idea of what the city's neighborhoods are like. If you wanted already established neighborhoods where no one is bargain-hunting in hopes a neighborhood will flip (which also isn't an entirely accurate description of Bed-Stuy though there are those people as well), then Soho is almost certainly still not it because of the huge influx of tourists that are looking to buy the many fast fashion brands out there. It seems more like a choice for a teenage hypebeast sort of idea of what cool would be.

I am reasonably certain that's not what you are looking for because your first choice was the Upper East Side. There are neighborhoods that make more sense near Soho in that way such as Tribeca, Nolita, or even the more commonly cited as cool neighborhoods of Greenwich and West Village that have long priced out much of the industries that originally lead them to being considered cool but still are considered cool by many--Soho just really hasn't been it for at least the last decade. How excited are you really about Topman, COS, Supreme, Uniqlo, Zara and the like along with only slightly more boutique-y but expensive brands? That's essentially end to end that for commercial spaces in Soho now and very, very little else which is why it's flocked to by younger people, often groups of teens to young adults under 30 or families with their teens to buy things for their teens. I can understand someone in that demographic thinking Soho is super cool, the best(!), but is that really what you're into? When was the last time you lived in NYC?

Anyhow, I was actually asking jj who I think is an actual NYC resident and likely is a lot more knowledgeable about NYC neighborhoods. Yea, sure, anyone can weigh in and your picks are interesting, but I'm more curious about what his pick against Bed-Stuy is.
I have been to Bed-Stuy. I would describe it as a decent, quiet neighborhood with nice rowhouses.

However, it doesn't come off as particularly "cool" to me. There are places with way more action than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World