Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these countries would you choose?
Uruguay 5 6.58%
Russia 2 2.63%
France 8 10.53%
Chile 2 2.63%
United Kingdom 24 31.58%
China 2 2.63%
Argentina 5 6.58%
Japan 5 6.58%
Germany 8 10.53%
Peru 2 2.63%
Mexico 6 7.89%
United Arab Emirates 0 0%
South Africa 2 2.63%
Peru 2 2.63%
Spain 3 3.95%
Belgium 0 0%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 08:30 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,031,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingrightalong... View Post
Russia's - and eastern Europe's - recent experiences with communism probably make them a better place to go.

More like recent experience with capitalism, that is: failure of capitalism for the last 30 years in eastern europe makes people far more pro-communist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2021, 08:51 AM

5,366 posts, read 5,153,391 times
From a realistic perspective, ie no supervolcano, staying in the same longitude relatively makes WFH much easier (time zones) and more practical than going across either pond. There's a lot of people who actually are putting stuff in storage and working from Mexico or Central America on a semi permanent basis.

I think longitude will be a much bigger factor for people looking to relocate 2020 forward than it was before, and many more people now days have the option.

Old 03-22-2021, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Japan

On another note it's almost impossible to move there as of today due to total covid lockdown. AFAIK foreigners aren't allowed to enter unless you're a Olympic athlete or some very special case, diplomats etc.

My bet is they will relax everything from January 1st, 2022 - this is also my last date after which I will abandon my plans to move there, I am getting too old and can't wait another 2-3 years for covid bs.

Old 03-22-2021, 05:48 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,124,790 times
Not sure.. Under these circumstances, the mass displacement would change the world over night. Large portions Canada would also most likely also be uninhabitable. Current COL of various areas would probably jump and fluctuate a lot. UK considering that it is one of the closest to the US in terms of culture and language couldn't take in everyone... their borders would shut. Most families would instantly be refugees looking for anyone to take them in.

For me... I'd probably take my family and follow my close friend and her family to her home country... Petrozavodsk, Republic of Karelia, Russia. It is nice town and far enough west in Russia and has a lot to offer. It has lots of influences from Europe especially Finland. Seems family friendly. It is a city but relatively small and near one of the largest lakes in Europe. Its also an area of rich wilderness and outdoor activities w/ a mix of culture (known for its museums). I don't think many US families would consider it as a first option so the chances of settling would be good. My friend would already have a support network over there along with language and understanding of culture.

Besides.. she's been begging me to travel with her to see her native home for a long time now.. Her family lives almost off the grid over there.. It would be an experience and a very educational experience for my family to learn how to sustain as much as possible off of the land.

Old 03-22-2021, 07:01 PM

6,572 posts, read 12,079,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
On another note it's almost impossible to move there as of today due to total covid lockdown. AFAIK foreigners aren't allowed to enter unless you're a Olympic athlete or some very special case, diplomats etc.

My bet is they will relax everything from January 1st, 2022 - this is also my last date after which I will abandon my plans to move there, I am getting too old and can't wait another 2-3 years for covid bs.
And that's what I have to explain to those patriotic Americans who say "if you don't like Am'rrka you can geeeet out!" lol. Like it's that easy.

Old 03-22-2021, 09:24 PM

16,116 posts, read 10,787,662 times
Ireland would do nicely. Italy would be a second choice. People tell me Chile is nice but I have no experience there.

Old 03-23-2021, 03:34 AM

27,632 posts, read 28,732,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
And that's what I have to explain to those patriotic Americans who say "if you don't like Am'rrka you can geeeet out!" lol. Like it's that easy.
If you actually want to move, then it helps to choose a country that doesn't hate foreigners and does everything in its power to keep them from immigrating.

Old 03-23-2021, 01:12 PM

6,572 posts, read 12,079,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If you actually want to move, then it helps to choose a country that doesn't hate foreigners and does everything in its power to keep them from immigrating.
That's the struggle with being half Japanese and half white/American, I feel like I don't belong in either country and both seem to hate foreigners/immigrants now. I have also considered Canada, earlier in life Australia and more recently UK. But most likely I will stay in Georgia. I love this state which is ironic considering it's one of the most "American" states in this country and many would think it's no place for Asians (especially after the recent mass shooting incident).

Old 03-23-2021, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Yeah, like Japan. For example, I'm from Eastern Europe, unlike Western Europe or America they don't think we're "borats alcoholics, pro-putin", just because someone doesn't like getting nuked by alleged racist (Churchill) doesn't mean they hate foreigners.

On another note, what SEATle posted earlier: forget kanji, just type all in kana like a normal gaijin lol. I can't read it either...don't forget even the first J. novel Genji monogatari (げんじものがたり) was likely entirely in Hiragana, I know though to get a job and e-mails typing in Kanji is a must.

Old 03-24-2021, 06:50 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,881,519 times
Ironically, I'm about to move back to the US...

I am very interested in Australia but that's not an option.

Of these, perhaps Japan, Germany, or France.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World